Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Reds Mount Rushmore

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Reds Mount Rushmore

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I've read several articles about how fast pitchers in various eras were but I am unaware of any accurate measurement of the speed of pitchers decades ago as compared to current pitchers. I have read that Bob Feller's fastball was timed at a speed of 98.6 mph as it crossed home plate which supposedly would equal about 102-103 mph at the time he released the ball on the mound.
    The 1950s were before my time but I can recall a lot of hard throwers in the 1960s, including Koufax, Gibson, Sudden Sam McDowell, Jim Maloney, Bob Veale, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Don Drysdale, the young Luis Tiant, the pre-sore arm Gary Nolan, Ryne Duren, Dick Radatz, etc.
    The Reds themselves had some impressive flamethrowers in the mid to late 60's and early 70's. Maloney, Sam Ellis, Gary Nolan, Don Gullett, and Wayne Simpson.

Johnny Bench himself had this to say about Wayne Simpson, and those few months of dominance:

“Wayne Simpson wore me out; no one threw harder than he did in 1970.”[2] Six years later, in his book Catch Every Ball, Bench reiterated, “I’ve never seen more explosive stuff.”
    http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/cbeac4f6

PS- think the Cards are hot now? (Yes, I do)

In 1970, the Reds started out 70-30.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Any of the historians know how hard the pitching era immortals like Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Cy Young or Grover Cleveland Alexander threw? How about lesser HOF names like John Clarkson, Pud Galvin, Ted Lyons or Eddie Plank? Did Jack Chesbro win 41 games with a 80 MPH Fastball? What kind of stuff did Carl Hubbell have to strike out so many all stars in a row? Was it all the screwball? I always had the impression that Rube Waddell, Rube Marquard, Dazzy Vance and Ed Walsh threw pretty hard? Chief Bender? Stan Coveleski? Herb Pennock? Waite Hoyt? Red Ruffing? Dizzy Dean? Were they Junkballers?

It would probably be a lot of work to answer all of that, but anyone with a link where this info might be? Might be a decent little rainy day project to compile all that if the info is available.
    Neyer and James Guide to pitchers is a great resource for all the answers you're looking for.

Steve Dalkowski was estimated to throw as much as 120 MPH 50 years ago, the longest recorded HR in the history of the game was hit (allegedly) by Mantle in the 50's. So not everyone was pud

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Dalkowski has always been fascinating to me- simply had no control and never pitched an inning in the Show.

“He was unbelievable. He threw a lot faster than Ryan. It’s hard to believe but he did,” asserted Earl Weaver, who watched Nolan Ryan pitch dozens of times, and managed Dalkowski.

Paul Blair, who batted against Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Sam McDowell, Vida Blue, Dick Radatz and Goose Gossage, said of Dalkowski, “He threw the hardest I ever saw.”

A near-identical statement came from Cal Ripken Sr., who caught Dalkowski and whose professional career as a player, manager and coach spanned five decades. He observed Ryan, J.R. Richard, Dwight Gooden, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson: “Steve Dalkowski was the hardest thrower I ever saw.”

Pat Gillick who was a teammate of Dalkowski before embarking on his decades-long career as a successful front office executive, put it this way: “As 40 years go by, a lot of stories get embellished. But this guy was legit. He had one of those arms that come once in a lifetime.”
    Ted Williams couldn't help himself one day in ST and stepped in for batting practice:

Williams, whose eyes were said to be so sharp that he could count the stitches on a baseball as it rotated toward the plate, says that he did not see the pitch, and that Steve Dalkowski is the fastest pitcher he ever faced and probably who ever lived, and that he would be damned if he would ever face him again if he could help it.
    This is a fun read on Dalkowski:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...kowski-depths/

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Neyer and James Guide to pitchers is a great resource for all the answers you're looking for.

Steve Dalkowski was estimated to throw as much as 120 MPH 50 years ago, the longest recorded HR in the history of the game was hit (allegedly) by Mantle in the 50's. So not everyone was pud
    Thanks.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Dalkowski has always been fascinating to me- simply had no control and never pitched an inning in the Show.

Ted Williams couldn't help himself one day in ST and stepped in for batting practice:

This is a fun read on Dalkowski:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...kowski-depths/
    He threw 283 pitches in an extra inning game, striking out 27 and walking 16? He was once relieved in the second inning after throwing 120 pitches? Good night!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?