Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Another one of my favorite artists from the era was Rick Springfield. It's been much discussed how he was a legitimate musician and his stuff was getting AOR play until the station managers found out he was on a soap opera. He wound up in Tiger Beat Magazine while he was in his 30s...his looks hurt him with the rock crowd.

However, there are some great gems in his catalog- I tried to pick some ones that weren't heavy airplay, including a few newer ones from the 2000s.

Rick Springfield- I get Excited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwZvdQrz75o

Carry Me Away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zTiqAFRl0

Hole in My Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91VibZWTlM

What's Victoria's Secret (He rips off Jessie's Girl here, but this song is cool).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLSXZHxg_I4

Wasted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPws30KPnAw

Here's some really early Rick Springfield, along with Little River Band co-founder Beeb Birtles playing guitar on an interesting version of Eleanor Rigby for a band called Zoot.

Iforgothowtodothis

btw, in the book I'm revising now, I named a minor character 'Beeb' after Birtles.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 10-27-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Here's some really early Rick Springfield, along with Little River Band co-founder Beeb Birtles playing guitar on an interesting version of Eleanor Rigby for a band called Zoot.

Iforgothowtodothis

btw, in the book I'm revising now, I named a minor character 'Beeb' after Birtles.
    Also, the late Darryl Cotton on lead vocals.

Frankly, I always thought of "Eleanor Rigby" as sort of a "meh" song in relation to the rest of the Beatles' catalog. I can safely state that I like this version better.

Good stuff.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Wow, glad to see some other Rick fans here. I took loads of crap from older relatives...who never got that he was helluva guitar player...and the lyrics were pretty sexual and adult...

Also loved "Rock of Life" and "Honeymoon in Beirut."

RIP, Lou Reed.

Lou Reed - I Love You, Suzanne (1984)
    Album: New Sensations

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9bOph21NAOK I guess it was my turn to get sucked back to the trials and tribulations of life for a bit. Thanks for the great Rick Springfield links to Dom and also Marc...the Zoot video totally blows me away. Almost as much as it will blow my wife's mind when she sees it. Rick Sprngfield was her first concert when she was in high school, then we both saw him together at a seafood festival about 6 years back and I had forgotten this one part where a girl in the audience hands him a dozen roses and he proceeds to hit the guitar stings with them in kind of a Pete Townshend windmill and petals start flying everywhere. We saved some as one of our souvineers LOL.

She and a friend just saw him again a few months ago in Biloxi and he just keeps getting better and better. Rick is truly the Dick Clark of rock musicians. He still looks so young, puts on an awesome show and is in amazing shape. So hard to believe this guy is anywhere close to being 64 years old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9bOph21NA

Here's another really cool song from Rick at this past summer's Sweden Rock Festival. The audio's not superb but you can still hear how powerful and dead-on his voice is. If I didn't know who it was, I would swear it's 30 Seconds to Mars or some other young energetic band singing.

I'm wide awake...And I am free to be a kid again!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Mmw1Men0A

Rick Springfield Rocks!!!

8. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-31-2013)

I submitted a reply almost 12 hours ago and it said it had to be approved by the administrator first before posting. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Anyone know why it hasn't been posted or why this keeps happening?

Well nuts, now it's been 24 hours since I replied here and saw the administrator approval pending message afterwards. I don't know what to make of it. I've talked to several of you here that said you've never seen that message once. This makes the 2nd time for me. I've had a few post right away and the only difference is I hadn't included any hyperlinks in most of those. The other thing that is very strange is my Post total keeps reading "0" and there's been at least 7 including the one pending. Is my account corrupted somehow?

When this happened before, I posted 12 hours later and asked about it, then it showed up about an hour later above my question. I would type it all again (it was about Rick Springfield concerts we had seen and some vid links) but it may not show up again. I'd really like to participate in this forum with you guys but it's gonna be hard if this keeps happening.
    Last edited by Dave Collins; 10-31-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    "Mary, Mary" by The Butterfield Blues Band"...

Definitely not AOR but here is the better known version by The Monkees...
    OK you just blew my mind. I had no idea that was a cover song. I played a LOT of drums to The Monkees when I was a kid. They were my first Rush. I've always thought Mickey had an awesome voice. That video looks like it was filmed yesterday. God I miss those "young" guys. I miss the young me. I miss the young us! (But I do still play the drums...usually to Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions now instead of Steppin' Stone)

RIP Davy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    OK you just blew my mind. I had no idea that was a cover song. I played a LOT of drums to The Monkees when I was a kid. They were my first Rush. I've always thought Mickey had an awesome voice. That video looks like it was filmed yesterday. God I miss those "young" guys. I miss the young me. I miss the young us! (But I do still play the drums...usually to Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions now instead of Steppin' Stone)

RIP Davy
    Mike Nesmith wrote Mary, Mary. The Butterfield Blues Band recorded for their East-West album in 1966 (supposedly they did not give Mike credit on the album). Then The Monkees recorded it 1966 and it was released on More of the Monkees in 1967. Of course, Run-D.M.C. covered in 1988.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Wow, glad to see some other Rick fans here. I took loads of crap from older relatives...who never got that he was helluva guitar player...and the lyrics were pretty sexual and adult...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=bb53aBt_tC4

Okay, well not everything was adult and sexual lol...

Actually- thanks for that- that was enjoyable. Also an appearance on the Sonny and Cher Show (Which Dom Heffner just purchased a huge art print of a live still from that show for the office so I can reminisce) was listed alongside on Youtube.

It took everyting I had to not pay $200 for a meet and greet when he was in St Pete a few weeks ago....I just didn't want to be the only dude there...who would have probably cried and hugged him.

Okay, well not everything was adult and sexual lol...

Actually- thanks for that- that was enjoyable. Also an appearance on the Sonny and Cher Show (Which Dom Heffner just purchased a huge art print of a live still from that show for the office so I can reminisce) was listed alongside on Youtube.

It took everyting I had to not pay $200 for a meet and greet when he was in St Pete a few weeks ago....I just didn't want to be the only dude there...who would have probably cried and hugged him.
    I have a friend who loved him around 1980, saw him live a few times

How about a little one hit wonder AOR....

Cock Robin was founded in San Francisco in 1980, though most of their success came in Europe. They did have one U.S Top 40 hit with the song below, which hit no.35 in the Summer of 1985.

Cock Robin- When the Heart is Weak

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dRnNpLOhn1Q

Maybe not AOR- but a Friday night bonus from sophisto-pop Danny Wilson.

Danny Wilson- Mary's Prayer (1987)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqgC3W9GUI

And When in Rome, whose song The Promise has a hook you couldn't escape in 1988.

When in Rome- The Promise

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HI_xFQWiYU

Cock Robin was founded in San Francisco in 1980, though most of their success came in Europe. They did have one U.S Top 40 hit with the song below, which hit no.35 in the Summer of 1985.

Cock Robin- When the Heart is Weak
    And hit no.28 Rock around the same time. Good call.

Maybe not AOR- but a Friday night bonus from sophisto-pop Danny Wilson.

Danny Wilson- Mary's Prayer (1987)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqgC3W9GUI
    Another good call.

AOR stations, indeed, played it, though, not to the extent of Top 40 pop stations. Nevertheless, it's been on my Ipod for two years now.

Fun fact: The band is named after a Frank Sinatra movie, rather than a band member.

And When in Rome, whose song The Promise has a hook you couldn't escape in 1988.

When in Rome- The Promise
    Well, apparently, I somehow managed to escape it, as my memory of that song -- even after listening to it -- is very, very vague. Good song, though.

95 per cent of my radio listening was devoted to AOR by that time. I'm not suggesting that some AOR stations across this great Nation didn't play it -- Rock Track charts were/are, frankly, not a true representation, due to the fact that they, at least at the time, were determined by surveying something like 30 AOR stations from big markets across the country -- but I can't say that I ever heard it. IMO, it screamed "Rock" a lot more than much of the 80's New Wave -- there was a lot -- that crossed over to AOR playlists.

Nicely done, Dom.

Just so I don't steal your thunder, I'll gladly refrain from posting a full entry this week, but I'll leave all of you with this one -hit "Mullet Rock" wonder:

Robin George - Heartline (1985)
    Album: Dangerous Music

I'll be the first to admit that this former Rock hit sounds extremely dated, but remains somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine.

As for the artist, George, an accomplished guitarist, finished second to Vivian Campbell while auditioning for the vacated spot with Def Leppard following the death of Steve Clark, and was given a guitar by the band as a token of their respect. George was also to have been a member of a reformed Thin Lizzy until Phil Lynott's untimely death curtailed the project. He's also produced albums for Metal artists and worked with Glenn Hughes, among others.

Last edited by Revering4Blue; 11-02-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Springfield may have been typecast as a Rock/Pop artist "for the female fan" out there, but there is no way he could have enjoyed the type of success he did, whether on Pop or Rock radio and Concerts, without strong male support.

As a parallel, Vertical Horizon's hit, "Everything You Want", based on my experiences, was a very polarizing track among females at the time. I can recall few, if any, women -- including my Girlfriend at the time -- among my age bracket liking the song, with most HATING it.

IMO, it struck a nerve with many woman, by insisting -- and yes, I realize that by comparison, Men searching for women can be the same way -- that Women are far too often attracted to jerks, rather than to the decent guy in front of them.

Anyway, there's no way that "Everything You Want" could have been as popular as it was (in either Pop or AOR format) without strong female support, just as strong female support alone wouldn't have been enough to catapult Rick Springfield to the heights of commercial success that he reached, albeit for a limited period of time.

Turn Off Ads?