Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 10, Minor League updates

Re: May 10, Minor League updates

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I really think Scott Rolen will end up with around a .700 OPS or even better this year. Let's not forget that Rolen has just a .203 BABIP at this time. His LD rate is slightly down, but still 18.3%. Considering Rolen's defensive aptitude and the fact that his bat will be acceptable this year, the Reds' aren't in dire straits at third base.

Cairo has proved to be a useful fill-in over the last few years and Frazier is really showing something in a very limited sample this year.

I believe the 3B problem is overblown on Redszone. Certainly Mike Costanzo is not an upgrade over any of the Reds current three third basemen on the 25-man roster.

If a premier 3B (David Wright) becomes available at the trade deadline, sure the Reds should see if they can get something done, but I don't think it is a black hole to the degree of us having to pimp our AAA third baseman who OPSed .630 in AAA last year.
    Except against RHP, Costanzo might be an upgrade to all those guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Norfolk adds another tally in the seventh inning and leads 3-0. Chad Reineke settled down and pitched six nice innings. Offensively, Navarro has a couple of singles. Costanzo, Soto and Valaika with singles. Negron has a double. Scott Carroll came on and gave up the run in the 7th.

Tanner Robles also settled down and turned in a good six innings. Dragons still trail 2-1 after seven. Carlos Contreras pitched a perfect frame, striking out two batters. Arias, Wright and Perez with doubles. Silva, Selsky and Waldrop have added singles.

LaMarre leads off the game with a single and eventually comes around to score on an error.

Fellhauer and Puckett also single to produce a 2-0 first-inning lead for Pensacola.

Pensacola scores two in the first. LaMarre, Fellhauer and Puckett all singled. There was an error and a walk mixed in. 2-0 Pensacola after the top of the first.

Bakersfield travels to the Inland Empire tonight. BTW, Inland Empire is a name for all ages. TBD pitching for the Blaze. Donald Lutz is player of the week. Scouts still not impressed. Too bad Bakersfield is on the road or else it would be thirsty Thursday. Dollar beer in the beer zone!
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-10-2012 at 08:31 PM.

If you're looking for me, honey. Well I won't be coming home.
    It's Thursday night in Bakersfield and I'm hanging in the Beer Zone.

That is a country western song aching to be written.

<----all this for two bucks.

I don't know whether or not Costanzo could really help at the MLB level, but I do believe that Rolen shouldn't play more than about 60% of the time (I'm spitballing this %, but the intent is to keep him as fresh and healthy as possible in order to get the best out of him that he has left). Francisco was a LH power bat, which would have been really nice to have in general; but it didn't appear that he would ever develop enough plate discipline or defensive ability at 3B to be more than a pitch hitter with infrequent starts at 3B. The final straw for me was when he came into Spring Training overweight and out of shape. I understand that he may have had an injury, but as a professional athlete he could and should have had the desire and discipline to not come in like that. At least you don't have those issues with Frazier, plus he's more versatile defensively - although I agree he would be a better fit for what the Reds need if he hit LH.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except against RHP, Costanzo might be an upgrade to all those guys.
    If he is a better option than Willie Harris....what can it not hurt? I think this team could use a lil shake up.......maybe some start shapping up.
    Give the kid some time up, while he is swinging a good stick.

Louisville gets on the board in the home half of the seventh. Soto gets his second hit of the game, Perez singles and Navarro drives Soto in with his third safety. Negron walks to load them up with two outs. But Costanzo goes down swinging.
    Norfolk scored again in the top of the eighth off Ron Mahay.
    Bats trail 4-1.

Dayton falls 2-1. Dennhardt made his minor league debut with a 1-2-3 inning.

If the minor-league forum fanatics ever gathered for a road festival, I feel the destination would have to be Bakersfield.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    If the minor-league forum fanatics ever gathered for a road festival, I feel the destination would have to be Bakersfield.
    Taco Tuesday or Thirsty Thursday and I am there.

Bats fall 4-1.

Turn Off Ads?