Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 1997 Wine - where to find?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

1997 Wine - where to find?

Ok, the Mrs. and I both enjoy a glass of Austratlian Red wine from time to time. Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, etc.

The Mrs. and I were married in 1997, thus 2007 being our 10th wedding anniversary (in Sept). I'd like to secure a couple dozen bottles (or more) of a 1997 Australian Red Wine such that we could pop a bottle every year for our annivesary.

Any ideas on how I might be able to accomplish this?

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1997 Wine - where to find?

A good wine store should not only be able to give you some good suggestions, but if they don't have any in stock, would possibly be able to procure some for you. Or try Jungle Jim's.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Ok, the Mrs. and I both enjoy a glass of Austratlian Red wine from time to time. Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, etc.

The Mrs. and I were married in 1997, thus 2007 being our 10th wedding anniversary (in Sept). I'd like to secure a couple dozen bottles (or more) of a 1997 Australian Red Wine such that we could pop a bottle every year for our annivesary.

Any ideas on how I might be able to accomplish this?

GL

First of all, congrats on being married during a great wine vintage.

I would contact the following two wineries, let them know about 1997 and your special situation, and that you're specifically looking for Australian wines. 90% of the time they will put together a nice case(s) for you, as well as cut you a break on price.

Penfolds Toll Free: 1 800 255 9966 Main Line: 1 707 259 4500
    Greg Norman Telephone 707 259 4500

Norman will not be able to sell wine to you directly, but they will be able to point you in the right direction of a distributor in the area.

I don't remember which of the local distributors carried the Norman label (Dennert, Ohio Valley Wine, Metamora, etc...)

Check out this website. http://www.wineaustralia.com/global/

It has a lot of great information on Australian wine.

Hopefully this helps.

If you need anymore help, track me down. I used to work in the wine business in Cincinnati for almost 3 years. I would be more than willing to help you in your anniversary mission!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    First of all, congrats on being married during a great wine vintage.
    Thats what I hear ... at least we have that going for us!

Thanks fellas, will begin pursuing in a week or two. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks,

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 01-08-2007 at 03:17 PM.

try this site too. you can search by year AND location.

and happy anniversary!

wine-searcher.com

Update ...

The Mrs. and I have tried 100's of wines in the $5-$50 range. While we each have our favorites in the various price ranges, we both agree that we really enjoy a bottle of Black Opal. This is somewhat amusing in the fact that its a pretty cheap bottle of wine ($8-$12), I guess we just aren't too sophisticated.

I have tried more than a handful of places and they all tell me I'll be looking for a needle in the haystack if I want 1997 Black Opal of any type, much less if I am specifically looking for Shiraz, etc. (I'd pretty much be happy with any of the Reds, and even a grab bag of them at this point)

No Luck with these ...
    • wine.com
    • wine-searcher.com
    • Penfolds Toll Free: 1 800 255 9966 (no answer, asked to leave a msg, didn't, but will try again)
    • Local Wine Stores (the one we have been going to for nearly 10 years just closed )
    • Jungle Jims
    • 3 or 4 Internet sites (called, emailed)

Might try a few more today as time permits. I am off work but I am trying to catch up on those odds and ends tasks that seem to build up as life rolls on.

GL

Turn Off Ads?