Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dayton Area

Dayton Area

I figured this would be a good place to ask people about the Dayton area. I’m looking into applying for the latest posting with the Dayton Police so any direct information about that posting would be more than appreciative. But I’m really just looking for information about the area. I’ve read all the generic info (Wikipedia type info) about the area, so I’m looking more for like “insider” type info. Such as: What is housing like? I’m single so are there good apartment complexes in the area? Non-typical drug or crime problems? High Crime areas?

ANY information on the police department would be great. Anyone with direct information on the department would be great as well as the perception of the police to a civilian.

And lastly, information on University of Dayton. I’m looking to go to grad school at some point in the near future, so information on the university would be great and the Public Administration program in particular.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Dayton Area

Most of the burbs outside of the city limits are fine. Most of what is inside the city limits is.........not good. West Dayton has an extremely high crime rate.

I lived in Dayton for 1 year, and that was enough. However, I enjoyed a nice 3 year stay in Miamisburg. I would recommend looking for apartments there if I was going back to that area.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Most of the burbs outside of the city limits are fine. Most of what is inside the city limits is.........not good. West Dayton has an extremely high crime rate.
    Pretty much. Dayton is a simple place. Live in the 'burbs.

For a Level Playing Field

I may be mistaken, but if you work for the city of Dayton, don't you have to live in the Dayton city limits? I know this was the case at one time and there was an outcry from people calling it outdated and such (big story in the Dayton Daily News).

If so, your best bet may be to find an apartment by the University of Dayton area (Patterson Park is an area not far from there with lots of apartments). North, East and West Dayton are not the safest places to be. The Dayton area is not as bad as other large cities (gun play), but theft is always a concern in the city.

I think the Dayton Police are fine. I do not have any problems with them. They do a tough job. I abide by the law; therefore, I am not a police complainer. I'd say the majority of law abiding citizens in this area feel the same way about the Dayton Police and respect them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I may be mistaken, but if you work for the city of Dayton, don't you have to live in the Dayton city limits? I know this was the case at one time and there was an outcry from people calling it outdated and such (big story in the Dayton Daily News).
    I'm 99.9999% sure that law was removed by a court order.

EDIT: It was removed. Here's an article talking about employees leaving the city (9%) when it was published.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/9-percent-of-city-employees-move-after-restriction-lifted-627110.html
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Looks like you can live outside of the city limits. Kind of depends on what your looking for. There are some nice areas up north, but a decent enough drive into town (I'm thinking Troy, Piqua, Tipp City, Clayton, etc...) so for a little quicker commute, Kettering, Beavercreek, Centerville, Miamisburg or Springboro are your best bets.

I know you don't have kids, but if you're looking to buy a house, schooling long term could be an issue. None of those systems are terrible, but Centerville is probably the best. Springboro has had a bunch of levee issues trying to get funding recently. I don't know enoubh about Beavercreek, but I imagine its pretty solid, Kettering is a mix of everything, upper class, middle class, lower class more so than the others, and is probably the most diverse (not that anyone would really call any of those areas diverse)

As far as entertainment, living up by the Green (Beavercreek/Kettering) may be your best bet. Some decent enough bars, restaurants, movies, etc... Springboro is probably the most family oriented in that I don't recall ever going anywhere in Springboro to hit bars or anything. Don't know how old you are, but that could affect where you want to live.

I graduated from UD, but I'm not sure what kind of information you want. Campus is located on the edge of town, near Oakwood (which would be the 'old money' part of the area), but also near some old run down crackhouse type areas. However, the city/UD have done a good job cleaning up some of the outlying ares of the campus such that students can live a bit further out. They've also poured a lot of money into development around campus both in facilities and dining establishments along Brown street. The campus has changed quite a bit. If your thinking of going to UD for Grad school, there are some decent apartments just off campus a bit or rental properties. You probably don't want to live in the middle of the Ghetto (student neighborhood), but there are houses/rooms/apartments to rent along the outskirts of campus that would allow you to feel like your on campus a bit. Its a pretty friendly walking campus, so that if you live close to campus, you can walk to/from your classes most days.

this is why this site is so cool, need to know something/anything, just post it and you'll have a half a dozen people or more chime in with really good info.

if you have to live close to dayton i would live in centerville. i lived in miamisburg from 94 to 2002. it didn't seem to be as nice as it was back then during my last visit. also as someone else posted the greens(sp) off of 675 seems to be growing and could offer i nice area to live. JMO
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

The immediate area around UD is fine. There's no reason to commute from Centerville unless you really want suburbia.

BTW, I live in Beavercreek.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The immediate area around UD is fine. There's no reason to commute from Centerville unless you really want suburbia.

BTW, I live in Beavercreek.

beavercreek isn't bad either. beavervu lanes! good times indeed.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Turn Off Ads?