Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Rios

Re: Alex Rios

God I hope not. The Reds shouldn't be trading good prospects (which Rios would cost) to save this ship. Sell, and let this boat go the bottom of the ocean, and lets never talk about 2014 again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've wanted the Reds to get Alexis Rios for the last seven years on this board. Even if it's a year or two late, I'd still take him. I'd hope we could get him without giving up a boatload though. Maybe something like Moscot, Corcino, Lutz and Ludwick?
    Go BLUE!!!

4. Likes:

Hubba (07-28-2014)

So we may be looking at dumping another $13MM and some prospects into the blackhole of LF for Alex freaking Rios but guys like Michael Morse, Nelson Cruz and Marlon Byrd were bad ideas.

Uncle.

We better not be giving up any decent prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    So we may be looking at dumping another $13MM and some prospects into the blackhole of LF for Alex freaking Rios but guys like Michael Morse, Nelson Cruz and Marlon Byrd were bad ideas.

Uncle.
    It will be one or the other. Prospects or take on his contract. Not both. I guarantee.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I have very little interest in Rios in 2015. At his age it is just as likely he'll be another Ludwick as it is he will be legit force for the offense. Plus, 13 million in payroll would pretty much kill any other improvements to the offense. Is Alex Rios really the grand plan to improve the offense not just for this year, but for next? If so I've lost what little faith I had left in Walt.

It just really makes me mad that 90% of this board (pretty much everyone other than the 10% who are endlessly positive about everything) saw this offensive problem coming. But, Walt "liked what he had". Something should have been done this past offseason. You either should have done a small rebuild, or a pitcher should have been traded for offense. Almost everyone saw it. Standing pat was the worst thing you could do. Now, it's such a mess going forward between money due, impending contracts and lack of minor league options that I don't know how you fix it other then spending tons more money, or blowing it up.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 07-27-2014 at 10:27 PM.

9. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (07-27-2014),Marc D (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It will be one or the other. Prospects or take on his contract. Not both. I guarantee.
    Ok but that still doesn't make me feel much better about it.

Buying in a sellers market for a lost season is inherently foolish. Now is the time to be selling.

11. Likes:

757690 (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I have very little interest in Rios in 2015. At his age it is just as likely he'll be another Ludwick as it is he will be legit force for the offense. Plus, 13 million in payroll would pretty much kill any other improvements to the offense. Is Alex Rios really the grand plan to improve the offense not just for this year, but for next? If so I've lost what little faith I had left in Walt.

It just really makes me mad that 90% of this board (pretty much everyone other than the 10% who are endlessly positive about everything) saw this offensive problem coming. But, Walt "liked what he had". Something should have been done this past offseason. You either should have done a small rebuild, or a pitcher should have been traded for offense. Almost everyone saw it. Standing pat was the worst thing you could do. Now, it's such a mess going forward between money due, impending contracts and lack of minor league options that I don't know how you fix it other then spending tons more money, or blowing it up.
    For the record, the Reds were right in this thing until Phillips got hurt. They actually were able to survive a plethora of injuries, but losing Phillip was the killer. I would say that they did have enough, they just didn't have enough to handle an absurd number of injuries to key players.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

BLEEDS (07-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    For the record, the Reds were right in this thing until Phillips got hurt. They actually were able to survive a plethora of injuries, but losing Phillip was the killer. I would say that they did have enough, they just didn't have enough to handle an absurd number of injuries to key players.
    Phillips had a .700 OPS and has been declining for years. The Reds have been losing because the players that were carrying them have regressed. This team needed a middle of the order bat, and they have needed it since Opening Day.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Phillips had a .700 OPS and has been declining for years. The Reds have been losing because the players that were carrying them have regressed. This team needed a middle of the order bat, and they have needed it since Opening Day.
    Losing half of the infield is the issue....an above average 1b and roughly average 2b production would be a blow to any line up and the Reds were already challenged.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

16. Likes:

PepperJack (07-27-2014),Red Raindog (07-28-2014),Tom Servo (07-27-2014)

Rios makes more sense for the Reds than Byrd or Willingham. Here's why.

Rios could easily hit second for the Reds. He's aging, but he still has legitimate wheels, collecting 8 triples so far this season (tops in the AL) and 16 stolen bases, along with his .328 OBP.

This offense doesn't need more boppers, not with the progress and power shown this year by Mesoraco and Frazier. But we do need another table-setter to join Hamilton at the top of the order. It's a waste to use Frazier in that role, and unrealistic to count on Phillips to do so, given the decline in his base running speed.

One interesting stat about the Rangers: They have posted the worst team ERA this season in the AL (4.81), the bullpen proving much less reliable than their starters. Wonder if we could swing a trade for Rios by offering up Broxton in return? Seems to me that either Contreras or Jumbo Diaz could fill Broxton's shoes as our right-handed setup man, and that we would be wise to reallocate Broxton's salary to shore up our anemic offense.

I doubt landing Rios would get us into the playoffs for 2014, especially if Votto and Phillips remain sidelined another month. But I still can see the value in this acquisition for 2015. Rios isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago, but he would be an improvement over Ludwick (both on offense and defense), and he's also seemingly a better fit for Reds because he could hit up top of the order, where we continue to have issues, even with Hamilton's rapid emergence. I could live with a 2015 lineup of:

Hamilton CF
    Rios LF
    Votto 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS

18. Likes:

Benihana (07-27-2014),Hubba (07-28-2014)

I've always felt as if I'm missing something on Rios. He only has occasional power, nothing special, he's not an on-base guy, and he's 33 years old. I guess he's competent, and competency's kind of rare in the Reds' lineup these days. He just doesn't look like a difference maker to me.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Rios makes more sense for the Reds than Byrd or Willingham. Here's why.

Rios could easily hit second for the Reds. He's aging, but he still has legitimate wheels, collecting 8 triples so far this season (tops in the AL) and 16 stolen bases, along with his .328 OBP.

This offense doesn't need more boppers, not with the progress and power shown this year by Mesoraco and Frazier. But we do need another table-setter to join Hamilton at the top of the order. It's a waste to use Frazier in that role, and unrealistic to count on Phillips to do so, given the decline in his base running speed.

One interesting stat about the Rangers: They have posted the worst team ERA this season in the AL (4.81), the bullpen proving much less reliable than their starters. Wonder if we could swing a trade for Rios by offering up Broxton in return? Seems to me that either Contreras or Jumbo Diaz could fill Broxton's shoes as our right-handed setup man, and that we would be wise to reallocate Broxton's salary to shore up our anemic offense.

I doubt landing Rios would get us into the playoffs for 2014, especially if Votto and Phillips remain sidelined another month. But I still can see the value in this acquisition for 2015. Rios isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago, but he would be an improvement over Ludwick (both on offense and defense), and he's also seemingly a better fit for Reds because he could hit up top of the order, where we continue to have issues, even with Hamilton's rapid emergence. I could live with a 2015 lineup of:

Hamilton CF
    Rios LF
    Votto 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    You left out Skip....Skip will play somewhere. He's got the pictures of Price that Price doesn't want the public to see.

I would take Rios if the Ludwick/Schu thing was put to rest. I don't want him for that ridiculous price though.

Yeah, NO:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...is-falling.ece

Alex Rios stats:
    .766 lifetime OPS
    .324 life OBP

.756 OPS
    .328 OBP

Ryan Ludwick
    .787 Lifetime OPS
    .332 lifetime OBP

.717 OPS
    .323 OBP

So, the Reds would not pick up Ludwick's option, pay the 4.5 million buyout, and pay Rios 13.5 million. They would be paying about 18 million for probably roughly the same production in LF that they got this year. If that happens I will sing "where have you gone Wayne Krivsky? Cincinnati turns her lonely heart to you".

23. Likes:

Marc D (07-28-2014)

Turn Off Ads?