Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Special assistant Davis visits Lynchburg, offers batting tips

Special assistant Davis visits Lynchburg, offers batting tips

Special assistant Davis visits Lynchburg, offers batting tips

Hillcats infielder Cody Puckett finished his turn in the cage during batting practice Tuesday at City Stadium and stepped away to let a teammate get in his hacks.

Just outside the cage, Eric Davis — fully dressed in Cincinnati red — pulled Puckett aside. Davis pulled his hands back and showed Puckett the proper positioning for optimum contact. Next, he critiqued Puckett’s high leg kick.

“The teaching,” the two-time National League All-Star said. “That’s what I like to do. That’s the fun part of my job. I don’t have to sit up in the stands. I prefer to put on the uniform and come down here and mix it up with some of these kids, just to share the wisdom and knowledge I’ve been given after spending 30 years in the game.”
    http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/spor...ng_tips/27504/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Special assistant Davis visits Lynchburg, offers batting tips

Reds are gonna have a good chunk of up and coming managerial/coaching guys soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Reds are gonna have a good chunk of up and coming managerial/coaching guys soon.
    Imagine a coaching staff of all 1990 Reds- Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, Billy Hatcher, Mariano Duncan, and Todd Benzinger.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Imagine a coaching staff of all 1990 Reds- Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, Billy Hatcher, Mariano Duncan, and Todd Benzinger.
    Only one that isnt a coach right now is Larkin really, and hes done his fair of coaching with team USA and randomly with the reds.

I think we often lump in the skills of being a good coach with that of being a good manager. I'd be interesting in hearing how people would structure a staff of these guys based on their strengths/weaknesses. I imagine Lark would be the manager, but I'm not sure what justification I have other than his supposed leadership ability.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think we often lump in the skills of being a good coach with that of being a good manager. I'd be interesting in hearing how people would structure a staff of these guys based on their strengths/weaknesses. I imagine Lark would be the manager, but I'm not sure what justification I have other than his supposed leadership ability.
    Larkin manager because he has a strong leadership and was a very smart player. Also I think he has a built in ego I guess you would call it that wouldnt allow him to really be 2nd in command.

Davis bench/hitting because frankly he sounds like someone who would rather work in a cage or on the field with a guy. Sounds like a bench coach.

Hatcher is just a rah rah dude, so hes sticking as a 1b coach. Same with Duncan put him on 3b. Hard to remove those guys from jobs they currently have.

Benzinger obviously is the only one with real managerial experiance so being a Bench/Manager fits him. I dont see him fitting in my list since I probably wouldnt take him over Larkin. Has a lot to do with that I dont know how Todd manages or any idea how he would manage.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I imagine Lark would be the manager, but I'm not sure what justification I have other than his supposed leadership ability.
    Well, he did go to Michigan. :
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?