Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Latest Big One promo

Re: Latest Big One promo

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    What does Redszone have to do with it? You apparently haven't listened to WLW today.
    He is saying WLW is being smart-aleck, as usual. He is saying RZ needs a new one of these.

Last edited by LexRedsFan; 07-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.

2. Likes:

Donder (07-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Gonna give Marty a pass but yes WLW sucks bigtime...haven't listened to that craptastic station since the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I found the promo to be hilarious. Classic Big One.
    I'm struggling to understand what's classic about a station that outside of its sports coverage (actual games) panders to morons, haters and shut ins

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-04-2013),DocRed (07-03-2013),Drugs Delaney (07-04-2013),DWS1125 (07-03-2013),jhiller21 (07-04-2013),Joseph (07-03-2013),joshua (07-03-2013),kbrake (07-03-2013),Krawhitham (07-04-2013),Larkin Fan (07-03-2013),marcshoe (07-04-2013),nmculbreth (07-04-2013),OGB (07-03-2013),Old NDN (07-04-2013),Plus Plus (07-04-2013),powersackers (07-04-2013),RBA (07-03-2013),reds1869 (07-04-2013),Redsfaithful (07-04-2013),RedsfaninMT (07-04-2013),Tommyjohn25 (07-04-2013),traderumor (07-04-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-03-2013)

When I discovered WLW in the late 80's trying to listen to baseball, the station was phenomenal. Not in its journalism, but because it talked about the Reds. Over the years the things I enjoyed there have slowly left/been fired and the Reds coverage can be found in a lot of other places.

I'd wager more than 50% of the callers who fan the flames are plants/fakes. I know our boy Matt can't confirm nor deny that since he has to feed and cloth himself with a paycheck that comes from there, but there's a lot of idiocy that comes across those airwaves. Jim Scott can be kitschy at times, but he might be the last genuine one left.

The rest can be AM shock jock type stuff trying to incite people and get a reaction. It worked this time, we are all reacting. Did anyone tune in specifically to hear Homer talk today? I bet some of us did.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

"So Fla Red"

Most of the WLW hate seems to be from out of towners and those with progressive politicial views. I would agree the on air quality has diminished over the past decade without McConnell, Burbank and Collinsworth.

9. Likes:

George Anderson (07-03-2013)

The current WLW is definitely not the WLW I grew up listening to. I used to love their entire lineup, all the way up to, and including, Truckin' Bozo (other than Andy Furman -- I couldn't stand him). I miss the days of "We don't, We don't, We don't mess around". The only thing I enjoy anymore on WLW is the Eddie & Tracy Show.

"So Fla Red"

WLW in the mid to late 80s and early 90s was unbelieveable radio. Great personalities top to bottom, big egos, national names, etc.

12. Likes:

gilpdawg (07-03-2013),powersackers (07-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Most of the WLW hate seems to be from out of towners and those with progressive politicial views. I would agree the on air quality has diminished over the past decade without McConnell, Burbank and Collinsworth.
    I still listen to WLW daily and while it isnt the station it was say ten years ago, I still find it to be quality entertainment.

i would love to see McConnell back. His show on WGN is a far cry from what it was in Cincy. It is almost like they forbid him from saying anything conservative.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'd wager more than 50% of the callers who fan the flames are plants/fakes.
    A good friend of mine's cousin* is Richard from Indian Hill as well as several others. I think he might have been the Randy Savage and Paul Bearer imitators as well.
    I generally dislike talk radio and think half of 700's audience is incredibly ignorant, but I do find it kind of funny the way people react when they don't realize someone like Richard from Indian Hill isn't a real person who actually holds those opinions.

*He also ran the Marty Brennaman facebook page
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    City Folk just don't understand.

Granted it's an acquired taste at this point but it is the flagship station for a pretty large brand in pro sports

I find it oddly appropriate that WLW's logo is in the shape of a pill.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm struggling to understand what's classic about a station that outside of its sports coverage (actual games) panders to morons, haters and shut ins
    You just described all of talk radio, even the legendary KMOX.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

And NPR.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    City Folk just don't understand.

Granted it's an acquired taste at this point but it is the flagship station for a pretty large brand in pro sports
    You should hear how pitiful and awful the U, Dolphins, Heat and Marlins flagships are down here in a much bigger market. This is New York south with NY rejects and wannabees littering the airwaves.

But, what are you going to do listen to Mike and Mike on the way into work. Most of sports radio is just unlistenable in this day and age where the shock format seems to be the norm.

20. Likes:

Joseph (07-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You just described all of talk radio, even the legendary KMOX.
    True not a fan of talk radio myself

Turn Off Ads?