Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: EURO 2012

Re: EURO 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't understand the hate for Rossi. His parents are Italian he moved there when he was 12. He lives in Europe and plays there. Why would he want to travel over here every time they played. And how many guys as good as him who live in Europe wouldn't rather play for Italy than the US. The US has a big international event every 4 years, Italy has one every other year. It's a more desirable situation and he lived there for much of his life.
    Playing for Italy is certainly more desirable, but there is no guarantee (like the previous WC) that he will be picked. If he played for the US, he would be a mainstay for years and the offense would be built around him. I don't hate Rossi, but I do feel like he left a set in stone opportunity for a maybe.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    What's the alternate wager?
    If Denmark, Ireland, or Croatia win the tourney, my buddy has to complete every tutorial in the khan academy on art history.

Denmark looked good

Armageddon time. England vs. France. I feel like both teams come in with diminished expectations, which could be good for both.

The game is opening up. Milner missed a huge chance. France has looked menacing, but England's speed up front is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Playing for Italy is certainly more desirable, but there is no guarantee (like the previous WC) that he will be picked. If he played for the US, he would be a mainstay for years and the offense would be built around him. I don't hate Rossi, but I do feel like he left a set in stone opportunity for a maybe.
    According to his wiki page he moved with his father to Parm to begin his youth soccer career. His dad did coach the team until then.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Goals by Lescott and Nasri. Good game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Goals by Lescott and Nasri. Good game so far.
    Only got to catch bits and pieces online. Seemed like both teams were a little slow in the final third. Pretty entertaining game though.

I'm really glad England didn't have Hart in the WC. He is so much better than Green it's silly.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Lalas has really gotten pompous. He doesn't seem to enjoy commentating very much, and comes across extremely negative.
    I'd love to see Ballack reach over and give him a good smacking.

Not sure if I was watching England or Guatemala out there. I understand England has some issues, but seeing them bunker like that against France has got to be a bit depressing for English fans.

Alexei is becoming more and more annoying as time goes on. I'd rather listen to Marcelo Balboa for a while at this point.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the game at the airport standing next to a Brit with a Gerrard jersey on. Interesting experience. I thought he was going to have a breakdown. We have passionate fans here, but I'm not sure we have that equivalent in the US.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

First half of Poland Russia was pretty good. Great set piece goal by Russia. Unfortunately won't be able to watch the 2nd half, but I can't stress enough how much I love the Watch ESPN app.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Alexei is becoming more and more annoying as time goes on. I'd rather listen to Marcelo Balboa for a while at this point.
    Lalas is the Thom Brenneman of soccer. It was refreshing the past few days without him in studio. Now he's back. Ugh. ESPN has made great strides in soccer coverage since the days of Tommy Smith and Marcelo Balboa. They'd be even better if they could find someone to replace Lalas.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Wow. 1 half down and Germany has taken to the Dutch to go up 2-0. Germany has been showing some of that great passing they displayed in the World Cup. The Dutch are once again having issues finishing, but haven't been given all the chances the Danes gave them. We'll have to see if they can come back in the 2nd half.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I would love, love, love it if the Dutch didn't advance.

Turn Off Ads?