Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Re: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'd have no problem with the ruling being a fumble, but at least have the ref go out and put his head under the hood.

There's no chance they did that.
    I'd say the speculated lack of review on this play is the definiton of a moot point. If one plans on spending the next 6 months to ensure/to discuss that a proper review is conducted on plays like this...fine, reference this play after the facts are known. But using this play and the officials' response to it to somehow cast a shadow over the game is dirty pool (not directed at you Hoosier) in my opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think its dirty pool but rather stupid.

I mean, what's the rush? Did NBC tell them they had run out of commercials?
    It takes 2 minutes for the Official to go to the hood, double check that the original call was correct and go from there. And it eliminates all conspiracy nutjobs like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I might be wrong on the replay protocol, but in the last two minutes, there are no reviews unless "the booth" thinks there ought to be, and they can get those replays instantly, unlike TV viewers. If the first replay they look at in the booth tells them "yep, that was obviously the right call," they're not going to buzz down to the field. If they do buzz down to the field, then the call becomes the referee's. But I don't think the on-field ref can call for a review on his own.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I might be wrong on the replay protocol, but in the last two minutes, there are no reviews unless "the booth" thinks there ought to be, and they can get those replays instantly, unlike TV viewers. If the first replay they look at in the booth tells them "yep, that was obviously the right call," they're not going to buzz down to the field. If they do buzz down to the field, then the call becomes the referee's. But I don't think the on-field ref can call for a review on his own.
    Yep. That's correct. In this case, proper procedure was followed in the booth to confirm that the right call was made on the field. At that point, there's no reason to halt the game in order to look at it any further. How long it took doesn't factor into things.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Oh joy, now we get to hear about how great Big Ben is because his defense has won two super bowls. This always happens with QBs. The guy is good, but he's not a great QB, and isn't anywhere near HOF caliber, yet we're already hearing that term being applied.

I'm not ready to put anyone in the HOF after 4 years but to dismiss Ben as nothing more than a game manager riding a great defense is just as off base.

I saw the defense spit the bit with 2:30 or so to go and the offense, with Ben at QB, drive the field to win the game just like they did at Baltimore and against San Diego this year.

IMO you put Ben on a team with a lesser defense but a better OL and ask him to throw 30 times a game he'd put up great numbers but win fewer games. Like you said, that's the nature of the QB position, too much credit/blame for team wins and losses in the most team oriented sport.

All that said, he's the perfect fit for that team and the wins are going to continue to pile up if he stays healthy. Decent stats, lots of wins and some SB bling will put a QB into HOF conversations at the end of decently long career. That's just the way it is.

On a new tangent...the buzz before the game was if Warner won, that would put him in the Hall of Fame. He didn't win...so what is your opinion and what is your prediction on what will happen.

I'm inclined to demand one more high-flying season from him myself...but I think at this point he is in, albeit after a few years of elgibility.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Catch?

Last edited by Matt700wlw; 02-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Catch

Catch

CATCH!!

"The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I know.

Just adding fuel to the conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    On a new tangent...the buzz before the game was if Warner won, that would put him in the Hall of Fame. He didn't win...so what is your opinion and what is your prediction on what will happen.

I'm inclined to demand one more high-flying season from him myself...but I think at this point he is in, albeit after a few years of elgibility.
    I predict that he will get in but I don't think he should, unless he puts up a couple more seasons like this one and the last.

He's played exactly 7 seasons in which he's started 10 games or more, and only 4 of those can be considered great seasons: '99, '01, '07 and '08.

Warner gets a lot of mileage out of his underdog story and Super Bowl appearances, and rightfully so, but there's not enough of a resume to warrant HOF induction, in my opinion.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

I think he's in. I don't think he has to do anything else. He's been to the Super Bowl three times now with two of the worst franchises in the NFL. His passing numbers are also very impressive. I think he gets in w/o too much trouble.

Warner has almost had a Sandy Koufax type of career in that he has only had a few even good seasons, but those few have been tremendously great.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Warner has almost had a Sandy Koufax type of career in that he has only had a few even good seasons, but those few have been tremendously great.
    He now also owns the #1, #2, and #3 best passing (yards) performances in Super Bowl history.

I think Warner's in.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I like Kurt Warner a lot, but I have a hard time putting him in the Hall of Fame. Only five times in his career has he surpassed 12 passing td's in a season. Also, there were several points in his career (the end of his St. Louis tenure, his entire time with the Giants, the beginning of his Arizona era) where I didn't consider him a good qb. He's had some amazing seasons and is an outstanding field leader, but I don't think the body of work constitutes a Hall of Fame nod.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It sure as heck wasn't reviewed by the ref on the field.
    How is that possible? :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?