Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The ORG Baseball Stream of Consciousness Thread

The ORG Baseball Stream of Consciousness Thread

For your baseball pleasure, this is the Old Red Guard Baseball Stream of Consciousness thread. Kick off your shoes, forget the troubles of life and let your mind wander with thoughts of baseball. The ORG is a diverse place with lots of baseball intellect. Each post represents the next thought. Lets see where the mind of the ORG goes….

Here’s a start. What if ballplayers were really just individual cells of the entity “Mr. Baseball”? What would his slash line look like?

Using major league historical stat totals from 1876 to the present via BR.com, Mr. Baseball is currently hitting .262/.329/.456 with a wOBA of about .340ish. In other words, Mr. Baseball very fittingly would look an awful lot like Jim Lemon (.262/.332/.460), the right-handed, power hitting corner outfielder of the Washington Senators.

Here is a great baseball biography for Lemon:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Jim_Lemon

Combining power, speed, and an exceptional arm, Lemon was part of the power group with Roy Sievers, Harmon Killebrew and Bob Allison that made the transition of the Senators to Minnesota a successful one. He spent a total of 26 seasons in the Senators/Twins organization as a player, coach, scout, Minor League instructor, hitting instructor and manager.
    Some of you may have grown up watching Lemon on “Home Run Derby”. He was the epitome of a baseball man and an individual universally respected throughout the game. An apt face for Mr. Baseball for sure….

If you wonder what a modern face for Mr. Baseball might look like, our very own Ryan Ludwick (.259/.330/.452) is a good statistical candidate.

He is still currently writing his biography which hopefully will include post season heroics in a Reds uni...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: The ORG Baseball Stream of Consciousness Thread

What's Mr. Baseball doing if pitchers are taken out of the equation?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Mr. Baseball's pitching face isn't so easy to peg.

Using major league historical stat totals from 1876 to the present via BR.com, Mr. Baseball is currently pitching to the tune of an ERA= 4.57, a FIP= 4.17, a k/9=4.81 and a BB/9=3.21. In other words, Mr. Baseball’s pitching face is one that only a mother could love.

Fittingly this face was once traded for himself:

Having broke in with the Phillies, Dickie Noles, a righty who was used both as a starter and out of the pen is a good statistical candidate given his career numbers (ERA= 4.56, FIP= 3.98, K/9= 4.76, BB/9=3.54). What’s more his back story fits so well for the job too. Noles famously threw a brush back pitch to George Brett in Game Four that is often considered the turning point in the 1980 World Series. But it was an incident in Cincinnati during 1983 while he was a Cub that might have galvanized his face in the memories of Reds fans. Following a game at Riverfront, Noles assaulted a Cincinnati police officer during a drunken brawl and ended up serving 17 days in a Cincy jail-a strike Noles threw that he credits with being a turning point in his life.

Reliever Dickie Noles, who made some friends during the time he spent in a Cincinnati jail in 1983 following a barroom brawl, left them tickets for Tuesday night`s game at Riverfront Stadium.

Like Mr. Baseball, Noles has weathered the storm and is now a born again christian who counsels baseball youth against drug and alcohol abuse.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I always thought Mr. Baseball looked like this.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Somebody needs to hijack this thread with a complete Non-sequitur of Randomness.

Because, otherwise, all we got here is a thread about "Mr. Baseball," and honestly, how has nobody stream-of-consciousness'd a Bob Uecker reference. His "Studio 42" was just on again recently, and you can't be my friend unless you've seen it. Everything you could ask for, Belvedere and all.

Well, except for one thing: a noticeable glossing over of the fact that Ueck is one of only 4 or 5 celebrities to be involved in more than one WrestleMania. HOW DO YOU NOT MENTION THAT?!?!? Especially you, Costas, who did Vince McMahon's bidding in the 80s?!?!?

You know who else is a celebrity that appeared at more than one WrestleMania? Pete Rose. Uecker only did 2. Pete did 3. Suck it, Uecker.

Did somebody say Stream of Consciousness? I hope so, because that's what just happened....

Rick

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

yoink
    Last edited by FlightRick; 05-13-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I always thought Mr. Baseball looked like this.

I thought he looked like this...

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Somebody needs to hijack this thread with a complete Non-sequitur of Randomness.

Because, otherwise, all we got here is a thread about "Mr. Baseball," and honestly, how has nobody stream-of-consciousness'd a Bob Uecker reference. His "Studio 42" was just on again recently, and you can't be my friend unless you've seen it. Everything you could ask for, Belvedere and all.

Well, except for one thing: a noticeable glossing over of the fact that Ueck is one of only 4 or 5 celebrities to be involved in more than one WrestleMania. HOW DO YOU NOT MENTION THAT?!?!? Especially you, Costas, who did Vince McMahon's bidding in the 80s?!?!?

You know who else is a celebrity that appeared at more than one WrestleMania? Pete Rose. Uecker only did 2. Pete did 3. Suck it, Uecker.

Did somebody say Stream of Consciousness? I hope so, because that's what just happened....

Rick
    What a shock that you'd bring that up.

Donuts.

Pretty much sums up my constant stream of consciousness.

Speaking of Wrestlemania, the late Macho Man was once a minor leaguer in the Reds system who finished his career with the Tampa Tarpons in 1974 at age 21.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=poffo-001ran
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Donuts.

Pretty much sums up my constant stream of consciousness.

You better have Delonte's donuts - YouTube
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Why is a strikeout a K if swinging but it is a backward K if looking and not the other way?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Why is a strikeout a K if swinging but it is a backward K if looking and not the other way?
    Why is "k" the letter we use for noting a strike out? I never understood that,

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

This comes from Latin America. When a batter would strike out on a questionable call, he would invariably shout "Que?" (meaning What?).
    "Que?" sounds like the english letter "K".
    It stucK.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Here's an explanation that seems to make sense from http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...rked-with-a-k:

From Neil Cohen's article "How to Score a Game," from John Thorn and Pete Palmer's Total Baseball, we discover that Henry Chadwick, one of the first newspaper journalists to take a literary interest in baseball, built upon a scoring technique devised by fellow New York journalist M. J. Kelly. "Chadwick created a minutely detailed scorecard so he would have a point of reference and recollection when he wrote his articles about the game," Cohen writes. He adds that Chadwick invented the modern boxscore.

Chadwick also invented the system we use to indicate fielders (pitcher=1, shortstop=6, right field=9, etc.), and the abbreviations we use for events (HR, HBP, BB, so on). Chadwick needed S for sacrifice, so he chose K for strikeout - K being the last letter of "struck," which was then in more common use than the term "strikeout."

Some people carry it further, using a K for a swinging strikeout, and a backward K for being caught looking. Some folks go with the more intuitive "SO," but this creates confusion with the abbreviation for "shutout," so "K" has remained the abbreviation of choice.

Turn Off Ads?