Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty signs a 3 year extension.

Re: Marty signs a 3 year extension.

Booooo. Reds need to move on.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

KronoRed (09-20-2013),REDREAD (09-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Marty is 70+ years old. He is opinionated. This is rare for announcers his age. Most have just given in and go through the motions. I rank Marty along with Jack Fleming and Vin Scully as guys who kept the passion and were competent regardless of age. I've listened to the newer guys. They can call balls and strikes, all of which is devoid of opinion, but most are just looking for the next job. Marty's been here for over 40 years. He has a vested interest in the Reds.. No, he's not a disciple of the stat bunch, and calls it as he sees it, but that's one of the advantages of age. Marty is also an entertainer. Listening to the younger guys on the radio in the car on a long drive is sort of like listening to paint dry. The home run or big play is superb. Never boring, a little snarky--entertaining. That's what radio is all about. I'm a fan even though I listen less and less. Wish there was a way to synchronize the TV with the radio so I could turn off Kelch and Marty's son. His time will be up soon. I guarantee you'll muss him.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

5. Likes:

joshua (09-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Wish there was a way to synchronize the TV with the radio so I could turn off Kelch and Marty's son. His time will be up soon. I guarantee you'll muss him.
    Your wish is my command.

SportSync Radio

This is supposed to be able to delay the radio broadcast by up to 16 seconds.

I'm glad he's back on one hand. He is one of the last links to my childhood that is still actively doing what they did back then. I remember when he started with the Reds back in 1974. He still calls a good game when he doing PBP. But when he gets on one of his rants he's intolerable to listen to. He is just coming off as a bitter old man then. IMO he's better off just keeping those opinions to himself. I suspect after this contract is up he will only do home games. He will be 74 by then. He will probably keep broadcasting as long as he is able much like Scully does now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-20-2013)

Just read thru the rest of the thread. I'm hot and cold on Marty. When he's calling a game, I don't know that there are many who paint the picture much better than he does. I don't mind him "calling it like it is," but I think there are times that are just too much. He can tend to pontificate (and heck, we have a pope now who doesn't even do that!) and that gets tiresome.

Funny thing, I think there are pairings with Marty that bring out his best. He and Jeff are just their schtick and, more times than not, that works. I think Jim Kelsch brings out the best in Marty. Chris Welsh does too. Now Marty with Thom, oh please, that's just insufferable - I'm reminded of the scene in Woody Allen's movie Sleeper where the scientist shows Allen's character a film clip of Howard Cosell and says "we feel that when people committed great crimes against the state, they were forced to watch this." - yeah, that's how tough the two of them together are.

As for the vacation - the guy's 70 years old and I think it helps recharge his batteries.

I can't say I have the connection from my childhood that many have mentioned. I was 16 the year he started broadcasting Reds games, so the vast majority of my experience with him has been as an adult. But I get it - Waite Hoyt was that for me.

All in all, I think it's a good move. The club just needs to keep the right balance of broadcasters and we need to pray Thom's really not the heir apparent.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

10. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-20-2013),KittyDuran (09-20-2013)

All in all, I think it's a good move. The club just needs to keep the right balance of broadcasters and we need to pray Thom's really not the heir apparent.
    My gut feeling is that he isn't (could just be indigestion)...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

12. Likes:

remdog (09-21-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Thom isn't going to give up his various national gigs to be the local radio voice of a mid-market team.

As for Marty? When he just calls a game, he's one of the best I've ever heard. Trouble with him is that he's lost the ability to just call a game.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

14. Likes:

remdog (09-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Thom isn't going to give up his various national gigs to be the local radio voice of a mid-market team.
    He doesn't have to. He can do it in the spring and summer and then when fall comes around he can do his football stuff on the weekends. It's not like the Reds have a lack of people to take his place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

Agree. And I would say he is the heir apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Agree. And I would say he is the heir apparent.
    Torches and pitchforks.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Marty will never be a favorite of the "homers". His "call it as it as he sees it" approach is what defines him and makes him great IMO. Glad he is staying.
    It has nothing to do with homerism, it has to do with him constantly beating alive and well horses. (aka ripping on the best players on the team constantly).

20. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-20-2013)

Marty will retire with 40 plus years with the Reds, aside from the 66-73 era that means the Reds had 2 announcers for 70 years. That's impressive

22. Likes:

Always Red (09-20-2013),KittyDuran (09-20-2013),reds1869 (09-21-2013)

Shoot. I was hoping they were finally going to bring back Al Michaels.

I'm fine with Marty coming back and it is a link to a much younger dfs.

I just wish that Marty would remember what a privilege it is to go to the ballpark everyday and that his primary job is to keep his audience entertained and tuning in the next day. Simply telling the audience what is happening on the field and being a conduit is more than enough.

It has nothing to do with "homerism." It has to do with class.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

24. Likes:

REDREAD (09-20-2013),remdog (09-21-2013)

Awesome news!

I love Marty. I hope he goes out by having a heart attack while saying "And the World Series Championship belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!" at age 120...and I think if he had a choice, he'd agree with me. By that time Brantley will have already succumbed diabetes.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Marty will retire with 40 plus years with the Reds, aside from the 66-73 era that means the Reds had 2 announcers for 70 years. That's impressive
    And 70 TV guys in the last 2 years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

27. Likes:

Always Red (09-20-2013),George Anderson (09-20-2013),joshua (09-21-2013),KittyDuran (09-20-2013),westofyou (09-20-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?