Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A suggestion.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

A suggestion.

I've been with RedsZone quite a long time and through the years I've seen the quality of conversation ebb and flow, as I'm sure most of you have also. There have been times when I just can't wait to read another morsel of Reds-related news, or even certain users opinions on a subject, and there have been times when I dread moving to the next thread and having it veer into the same two or three 'hot topics of the week'.

The times when the board appears to be most tedious are when there isn't much going on or when the Reds are losing, or have lost one game even. I think the problem is one of volume and have wondered how it could be solved for quite a while now. There are really two layers to the problem as I see it; First, there are so many users that if everyone says the same thing one time it gets really redundant for the reader and he/she gets tired of going to the next post about the same thing. Second, some users seem to post about 50-60 times a day often repeating themselves in different threads in an apparent effort to be heard.

I'm not pointing fingers at any person or people, this is something I've observed through many years...some of the biggest offenders have moved on or changed their M.O. Heck, I've been guilty of it myself.

I don't think there is much than can be done about the first part, short of having some sort of text-matching algorithm that won't let you post something that's already been posted by a previous user...there's no way I can see that working. In the second instance, there might be something simple that could be done about it. A daily post limit.

Really, the best solution would be for everyone to 'self-police' their own posts and consider if they've already written the same thing several times in other threads and just not repeat themselves. A post limit is a way of subtlely forcing that issue. Given a limited number of posts for a day, we might reconsider what we put in each one.

I have no idea where the limit might be set, or whether it should be per forum or 'Zone wide or any of those technical details, I just think it's an idea that should be discussed. I'm interested in what others think of the idea.

Opinions?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A suggestion.

I'd say no, because many posters who make many posts per day make many intelligent, original posts per day. These would be cut off along with the negative, if there was a post limit.

However, congratulations for being brave enough to make a bold idea.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

The last thing this site needs are more formal rules but your point is well taken. Let's hope the right folks read it and take it to heart

So, you're saying there's only room for "original thoughts"?

Didn't you know that there are no "original thoughts" left to be thunk in this world?

BTW, love the icon as it looks like it should be a "Magic" card.

Scorp, I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago and went into self imposed exile over the ASB.

It's really ok to walk away once an a while.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Scorp, I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago and went into self imposed exile over the ASB.

It's really ok to walk away once an a while.
    I think that's the real issue. If people feel there is too much redundancy, perhaps they should step away for a while instead of asking everyone else to post less.

Not saying I don't understand and agree with some of the original points, but a posting limit is the last thing we should be doing. I do prefer quality over quantity, but I see no reason to start quantifying that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?