Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Sweet no longer managing Louisville

Re: Rick Sweet no longer managing Louisville

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Win-loss record in the minors means nothing. Come on
    I guess I was a little harsh on Bell, but this is very shocking news to me. Win-loss record itself may mean nothing, but Sweets record over the last four years compared to Bells is like day and night. He also deserves credit for the incredible 2nd half comeback in 2010 and equally impressive record in the second half of 2008. While I am sure Bell has helped develop a number of players, Sweet has managed pretty much every current Red.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    I guess I was a little harsh on Bell, but this is very shocking news to me. Win-loss record itself may mean nothing, but Sweets record over the last four years compared to Bells is like day and night. He also deserves credit for the incredible 2nd half comeback in 2010 and equally impressive record in the second half of 2008. While I am sure Bell has helped develop a number of players, Sweet has managed pretty much every current Red.
    Yes, Sweet is a great manager and has had a ton of success. But people throwing Bell under the bus for no reason other than they don't "think" he is a great manager is erroneous. They do not know what goes on on a day-to-day basis and how he interacts with his players and how well respected he has quickly become as a manger in only three years.

Does this move potentially mean Dusty is on the hotseat for next year? If he were to falter the Reds could slide Sweet in without disrupting the AAA position mid-year. This could also be done to ease Mesoraco's transition to the MLB.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

David Bell is reportedly a very hot "up and coming manager prospect". My guess is, this move was made to keep him with us and not lose him to another organization who was willing to give him a AAA spot.

As to what is going on with Rick Sweet, it is very interesting. Perhaps something happened in his personal life that he can now attend to more frequently as a roving instructor. Maybe the Reds just talked him into it. I don't really get this from his perspective, someone would absolutely be willing to offer him at least a AAA managing gig.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

So who was the hitting coach at Louisville? That seems to be the odd man out and I can't recall who it was now that Jackson has replaced him.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So who was the hitting coach at Louisville? That seems to be the odd man out and I can't recall who it was now that Jackson has replaced him.
    He's replacing Smokey Garrett, who's retiring.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 11-29-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Does this move potentially mean Dusty is on the hotseat for next year? If he were to falter the Reds could slide Sweet in without disrupting the AAA position mid-year. This could also be done to ease Mesoraco's transition to the MLB.
    You mean slide Bell in? That would be more likely to me.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He's replacing Smokey Garrett, who's retiring.
    Ah, thanks.

Rick Sweet out as Louisville's Manager...

This is.....surprising.

I know this is re: minor leagues, but I figured it has some more Major implications.

"Surprising news from Kentucky, via the Louisville Courier-Journal. Sweet had previously said he would return for 2012, but his six season tenure has come to an abrupt halt. Sweet will stay on with the Reds as a catcher instructor. It's not clear whether his new position is a face-saving move - or what's up exactly - as VP Bill Bavasi "would not elaborate."

Edit: David Bell will be the new manager.

Re: Rick Sweet out as Louisville's Manager...

It's been up on the Minor League board for a couple of hours.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92921
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Rick Sweet out as Louisville's Manager...

Very surprising, if not shocking. I actually thought they might be doing it to promote the Dayton manager to see how he would do at triple A.

I'm surprised, Sweet did us a good job at Louisville, that being said, he will also do us a good job with Mez and Grandel.

There has to be more to this story, but it's definitely not good for Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    There has to be more to this story, but it's definitely not good for Louisville.
    Not really sure that this is doom and gloom for Louisville or the Reds. Yes, Sweet was a successful manager but he is still in the organization. Like others have mentioned, Bell has been receiving great reviews and could be a big part of the Reds future.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Y'all are acting like a guy who has never played the game or knows anything is going to manage Louisville lol.

Turn Off Ads?