Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I tried to make the point about the swelled heads as delicately as I could because it's not an overarching problem, but I think it's natural to fall into a sense of "Well we beat Richmond by 25, now we can relax." The margin for error really is slim that any feelings like that can mean the difference between a 25 point win and a loss.
    I just don't think that is the case. X raced out to a big lead and then proceeded to play like CYO 4th Graders as they blew it. It was eerily similar to the UC debacle. I don't think the "big head syndrome" had much to do with it. If you watched the game you clearly saw how frustrated the Musketeers were and how they were painfully aware they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They kept scrapping but looked exhausted and dejected.

Edit: I do think the swollen head syndrome is a real problem on occasion. I just don't think it was the issue last night, nor do I think there was any true "regression to the mean." It was a bad night, simple as that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I just don't think that is the case. X raced out to a big lead and then proceeded to play like CYO 4th Graders as they blew it. It was eerily similar to the UC debacle. I don't think the "big head syndrome" had much to do with it. If you watched the game you clearly saw how frustrated the Musketeers were and how they were painfully aware they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They kept scrapping but looked exhausted and dejected.

Edit: I do think the swollen head syndrome is a real problem on occasion. I just don't think it was the issue last night, nor do I think there was any true "regression to the mean." It was a bad night, simple as that.
    Admittedly I didn't watch either game, but isn't that practically the definition of regression to the mean. They played great against Richmond(and Richmond probably didn't play as well as they could,) and they played a poor game against Charlotte(who probably made more than their fair share of shots.)

I don't mean any offense by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Admittedly I didn't watch either game, but isn't that practically the definition of regression to the mean. They played great against Richmond(and Richmond probably didn't play as well as they could,) and they played a poor game against Charlotte(who probably made more than their fair share of shots.)

I don't mean any offense by it.
    Regression toward the mean is simply a move towards the subject's natural tendency. The Charlotte game doesn't show a move towards X's typical result for the season, it shows a sudden dive through the floor. Unless darker days are in store than Charlotte performance it is simply an anomaly, not a regression to the mean. Of course, an improvement such as the Richmond beatdown could also be a regression toward the mean. In that case I would be thrilled to agree with you!

And thank your lucky stars you didn't watch the X/UNCC game. That was some eye-damaging basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Regression toward the mean is simply a move towards the subject's natural tendency. The Charlotte game doesn't show a move towards X's typical result for the season, it shows a sudden dive through the floor. Unless darker days are in store than Charlotte performance it is simply an anomaly, not a regression to the mean. Of course, an improvement such as the Richmond beatdown could also be a regression toward the mean. In that case I would be thrilled to agree with you!

And thank your lucky stars you didn't watch the X/UNCC game. That was some eye-damaging basketball.
    Well, another way of saying it all averages out. Before the Richmond game XU was shooting roughly 45.5% from the field. Against Richmond, they shot 26-53(49.1%) against Charlotte they shot 22-57(38.1%) At the end of the day, they're now shooting 45.3% from the field. If the Muskies were to shoot 23-46in their next game, they'd be back at exactly 45.5% for the season.

All semantics I suppose, but that's what I'm referring to, whatever XU's true mean, the individual numbers will bounce above and below that all season. The shooting against Charlotte was the 2nd worst game of the year percentage wise, but there has to be a 2nd worst game of every year for every team.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Nice bounce back win today against a scrappy St. Louis squad. Watching this game reinforced that Rick Majerus is one heck of a basketball coach.

The front page of Fox Sports after the win at Georgia was great: "Tu Legit To Quit."

You can just see Chris Mack getting better as a coach. Xavier sure can grow them.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    You can just see Chris Mack getting better as a coach. Xavier sure can grow them.
    Funny you say that... I had the exact same thought last night. There have been a few times when it looked like Mack was at a bit of a loss. Last night, there was an air of confidence from that bunch that has been a little lacking and I think a lot of it comes from their staff now.

That and Holloway and Lyons are two pretty darn good guards. Good guard play always makes coaches look good.

But even in the 1st half when Holloway looked like he missed the plane, they still had fight and toughness.

Seriously impressive win for the Muskies. UGa is solid.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Nah, UGA kind of stinks (what a bunch of rockthrowers), but it was still a nice win perceptionwise. Not nearly as impressive as the win at Richmond, but a helluva lot better than losing at Charlotte!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Funny you say that... I had the exact same thought last night. There have been a few times when it looked like Mack was at a bit of a loss. Last night, there was an air of confidence from that bunch that has been a little lacking and I think a lot of it comes from their staff now.

That and Holloway and Lyons are two pretty darn good guards. Good guard play always makes coaches look good.

But even in the 1st half when Holloway looked like he missed the plane, they still had fight and toughness.

Seriously impressive win for the Muskies. UGa is solid.
    I guess a lot of us had the same thought...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-coach-of-year
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Nah, UGA kind of stinks (what a bunch of rockthrowers), but it was still a nice win perceptionwise. Not nearly as impressive as the win at Richmond, but a helluva lot better than losing at Charlotte!
    I'm sorry, but a win at Uga is more impressive than a win at Richmond.

2 teams have beaten UGa in Athens: Xavier and Florida.

3 teams have won at Richmond: Xavier, Rhode Island and Bucknell.

Not downplaying the win @ Richmond. Great win. But going to Athens and winning is a huge check mark for their "resume."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Wasn't just the win at Richmond so much as they way they did it. I'm thrilled Xavier beat UGA, and I like the publicity Xavier is getting around it, but I was not one bit impressed by the 'Dawgs.

Now today was a HUGE win for the Muskies. All alone in first with the head to head tiebreaker over all three teams in second. That's a good place to be with six games to play.

Dante Lawrence Jackson is back. That is all.

Back in the AP Top 25, checking in at #24. X is #28 in the Coaches Poll.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/A...nsas-No-1.html

Turn Off Ads?