Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Along with Led Zep and Black Sabbath, they helped pioneer the hard rock and heavy metal sound. Induction into the HOF is a long overdue honor.
    I don't follow the Rock n Roll HOF. I really could care less. But when you said the above I was astounded that these two bands weren't in there.

It appears they both are... LZ in 1995, and BS in 2006

I actually took the tme to browse the list of those that are currently in... and when I see some that have made it ....yet it took Alice Cooper so long to get in .... and bands like ELO, Deep Purple, and even Rush aren't??

They can stick it! They're a joke IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rush was inducted this past year.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I am glad to see the E Street Band getting inducted. I understand why they were technically inelligible for so long (they were not listed as the artist on a release until Live 75-85) so it is good they are now going in.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (12-25-2013),Revering4Blue (12-25-2013),westofyou (12-25-2013)

Is there really a lack of "70s bands" in the HoF?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Until Shoes are in there yes

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

IMO, it all boils down to impact, and there are several omitted/yet to even be nominated artists that fit the criteria -- in some cases, more so than already inducted acts (Laura Nyro? Come on). And no, that doesn't mean that a band that reached it's peak in the 70's or 80's is more deserving or influential than, for example, the recently inducted Red Hot Chili Peppers or Nirvana -- not by a long-shot.

Believe me, You'll see plenty of artists who peaked in the 90's or later inducted in the future. Pearl Jam should be a slam dunk, and cases can be made for, among others: Collective Soul, The Smashing Pumpkins and STP, but the general consensus that bands such as ELO and Deep Purple remain unjustly omitted, among other bands of the era, remains.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Can't Hardly Wait
    This version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7q...M&noredirect=1

If this had been on "Tim," man, oh, man.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

This is The Replacements at their best:

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IMO, it all boils down to impact, and there are several omitted/yet to even be nominated artists that fit the criteria -- in some cases, more so than already inducted acts (Laura Nyro? Come on). And no, that doesn't mean that a band that reached it's peak in the 70's or 80's is more deserving or influential than, for example, the recently inducted Red Hot Chili Peppers or Nirvana -- not by a long-shot.

Believe me, You'll see plenty of artists who peaked in the 90's or later inducted in the future. Pearl Jam should be a slam dunk, and cases can be made for, among others: Collective Soul, The Smashing Pumpkins and STP, but the general consensus that bands such as ELO and Deep Purple remain unjustly omitted, among other bands of the era, remains.
    What about bands from the early 80s that are still waiting? Where's Black Flag?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Have you heard of Teenage Fanclub?

Pavement
    The Archers of Loaf
    Superchunk
    The Feelies
    Television
    The Pretty Things
    Lothar and the hill people
    The Minutemen
    American Music Club

Zillions of bands out there

The Mats are what the Goo Goo Doll pretended to be
    I strike out on that list with the exception of The Minutemen. I was never a record-store buff. Strictly radio for me. But wide ranging as just about every person in my family liked a different style of music from a different era. Classical to disco to rock to pop to heavy metal to new age to C&W. But if it wasn't on the radio (or in my families record, tape or 8-track collection) then no luck.

This thread could be renamed: "Rock and Roll is Dead" (And I don't care) .

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

What about bands from the early 80s that are still waiting? Where's Black Flag?
    I think we can all agree about the absurdity of the entire selection process.

Really good call on Blag Flag, BTW, as they are often overlooked, despite the fact they were highly influential. Of that era, I'll also echo the sentiments of those who believe that Joy Division, The Smiths and The Cure should get the call.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I think we can all agree about the absurdity of the entire selection process.

Really good call on Blag Flag, BTW, as they are often overlooked, despite the fact they were highly influential. Of that era, I'll also echo the sentiments of those who believe that Joy Division, The Smiths and The Cure should get the call.
    The Smiths and The Cure need to be there more than many that's for sure

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-27-2013),marcshoe (12-26-2013),reds1869 (12-27-2013),Revering4Blue (12-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?