Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want Narron fired...

So you want Narron fired...

I just got done reading through the game thread, and like many others when the Reds lose, there were quite a few people calling for Narron to be canned. Most any move he makes results in people calling him a moron, idiot or some variation of the like. So my question is this: If Narron was to be fired tomorrow (like many on here want to happen), who would you replace him with? Who is out there, either in the minor league system or curerntly unemoployed, that A.)would do a better job in steering this team to more victories via his managerial moves, and B.) realistically could be lured/promoted to coach for the small market Reds?

NOTE: Keep in mind, this thread isn't intended to simply call out those that want Narron fired (well, maybe a little bit). I really am curious as to who people think could replace Jerry Narron and do a superior job with the players he has been given.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So you want Narron fired...

It doesn't matter who they would replace him with. To sit on your hands is season suicide. Be proactive.

Me or Billy Hatcher. I already said I'd do it for 30k.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Wasn't in the game thread tonight and haven't called for his firing, but if the Reds were in the market, I've always liked what I've heard from Larry Dierker.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Narron,has made some mistakes this season without a doubt.Frankly I thought he should have left Coffey in the game tonight b/c he was pitching well.The main thing that makes me mad is it seems the players don't husle for him.First it was EE when he did'nt run to first... Then it was Dunn in the outfield not hustling to the ball,Then it was Griffey at the plate posing instead of running.Then it was Griffey again tonight in the outfield loafing not hustling to the ball.Seems like im forgetting about another player??

Anyways who was the only person that got punished?? EE right?? What im trying to say is this is showing me that these players knows they can loaf and not husle b/c Narron isn't going to say nothing.When a team of ballplayers don't husle in everygame then thats telling me that Narron can't control his team b/c they won't listen and thats Narrons fault b/c he won't speak up.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 05-04-2007 at 12:24 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Wasn't in the game thread tonight and haven't called for his firing, but if the Reds were in the market, I've always liked what I've heard from Larry Dierker.
    Larry Dierker is an interesting candidate. Former manager of the year, career .556 winning percentage as mngr., and he used to be a pretty good pitcher. I guess my questions are, would he be able to get guys to hit with RISP, keep the bullpen from 8th inning meltdowns, or prevent the defense from making costly errors?

Although I would love to see him fired from a fans perspective, I think the players might revolt. They know it isn't his fault. Today was a "veteran" that blew the game. They also like him a lot.

Who would I hire? No clue.

If Narron would ever get fired thenI would like to see Mcclenden come here and be the manager.When he was manager with the Pirates he said what was on his mind,would jerk a pitcher or player out when they was'nt doing nothing.

The players really respected him to and loved playing for him.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Given the current roster make up and players available in Triple-A, I feel safe saying that I can't name a single manager, alive or dead, that would have this team any better than .500 +/- 1 game.

This bullpen isn't very talented and this lineup isn't very consistent. I don't care how good Hamilton is (and he is pretty damn good) -- when you've got a Rule V guy as an everyday player, that speaks volumes about the state of your franchise.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    If Narron would ever get fired thenI would like to see Mcclenden come here and be the manager.When he was manager with the Pirates he said what was on his mind,would jerk a pitcher or player out when they was'nt doing nothing.

The players really respected him to and loved playing for him.
    And the Pirates won the same number of championships under him as the Reds have under Narron.

And after tonight, after seeing that display in the game threads I have this to say...

I hope the powers to be - sit down and have a long hard chat about this subject... Because the game threads have gone to hell and back... Ban the threads... Its getting worse by the game.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

The funny thing about managers is there are more good ones than there are bad ones. Look around the NL Central for instance.

We all know about Tony LaRussa's 1649 wins and Lou's 1531 wins. But the Pirate's Jim Tracy is 519-506, and Houston's Phil Garner is 231-194. All have had multiple winning seasons. Bringing up the rear ae Ned Yost at 309-365 and Jerry Narron at 273-304.

Go to the rest of the league and you find Atlanta's Bobby Cox at 1521 wins with only 1204 losses, but you also have New York's Willie Randolph at 180-144, LA's Grady Little at 293-221, and Philadelphia's Charlie Manuel at 405-357. Joining Narron as losing managers are SF's Bruce Bochy at 965-987 and Arizona's Bob Melvin at 325-352. So in the NL, we have 8 winners and 4 losers. But even Yost, Bochy, and Melvin have had winning seasons. Florida's Gonzalez has only been at the helm this year with a 13-14 record.

Looking at those who win and those who lose, it's obvious (with the notable exception of Tracy and Sweet Lou, who are in a horrible situation where they are), these guys are winners. Our guy has never won. Anywhere.

Some guys are born winners. They seem to make the right moves on instinct. Witness LaRussa in last year's World Series or Bobby Cox for a career. Sure talent helps, but no one can say this Reds team and others are not talented. They're maybe not as talented as some, but the talent warrants a winning record, barely. And yet we do not. Jerry Narron cannot make the right move to save himself. He's the typical second man--the bench coach is the office he's best suited for. He's followed the same kind of men who fit his profile--Bob Boone and Dave Miley were similar in style and had the same characteristic. They just didn't have that instinct that won their team a game they should have won.

If this team is to be a contender, a real contender, a move at the top must be made. But we are tied by financial constraints and men at the top whether it be Lindner or Castilini or O'Brien or Krivsky who embrace mediocrity because of financial concerns. We're never going to spend that $4-5 million for a manager. And so it goes. But don't tell me that our manager is bad because of the players he has. I've seen too many winners mold a team with as much talent as the Reds have. We don't have a winner, but we have one with an extension to next year and probably another one after that.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Larry Dierker is an interesting candidate. Former manager of the year, career .556 winning percentage as mngr., and he used to be a pretty good pitcher. I guess my questions are, would he be able to get guys to hit with RISP, keep the bullpen from 8th inning meltdowns, or prevent the defense from making costly errors?
    All I ask is that the manager know the hand he's been dealt and use his players in a manner that puts them in the best position to succeed. From what I've heard, Dierker is someone who would try to do that.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

All I ask is that the manager know the hand he's been dealt and use his players in a manner that puts them in the best position to succeed. From what I've heard, Dierker is someone who would try to do that.
    Yes, yes. My point exactly. Some guys have it and some do not. We're saddled with someone who does not (IMHO). The talent the Reds have (Dunn, Griffey, EdE, Phillips, Hamilton, etc) is enough to win even with a sucky bullpen. Why aren't we winning? No other answer but poor management comes to mind.

We've had some great talent over the years since 2000. It's likeit has been wasted on the Boones, Mileys and Narrons of the world instead of proven winners. It's hard to take--losses like tonight's, especially when the masses were saying "no, no" when Stanton was pitching batting practice. Is Narron so dumb that he couldn't see that? Is he so unaware that his heart left him in? If so, he needs a heart transplant. Soon.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 05-04-2007 at 01:43 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I've speculated before that he must have some major skeletons or something. Is he a drinker? A registered sex offender?

I know he had the health issue (seizure) and I know that he had a poor record in the playoffs. But guys with that kind of winning percentage, ALWAYS get second jobs.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?