Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

One of the great things about Walt in the past has been his ability to make big deals to put his team over the top.

If the Reds continue playing well and are solidly in the race at the all star break, will Walt deal one of our minor league studs for a missing piece?

And if so, what will he go after?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

I don't see them moving Alonso until Votto is signed long term.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

We are about 2.5 months from that scenario. Lets see if we can stay in contention for that long first, and see what are needs are at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    One of the great things about Walt in the past has been his ability to make big deals to put his team over the top.

If the Reds continue playing well and are solidly in the race at the all star break, will Walt deal one of our minor league studs for a missing piece?

And if so, what will he go after?
    I think a question that needs to be addressed before Walt potentially adds anybody is "Will Bob approve an increase in payroll?" and, if so, "How much?"

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I think a question that needs to be addressed before Walt potentially adds anybody is "Will Bob approve an increase in payroll?" and, if so, "How much?"
    Let's hope attendance trends like the team has. I would imagine that an increase in attendance would make Bob's decision easier.

Roy Oswalt is on the market. You can never have too much pitching.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Roy Oswalt is on the market. You can never have too much pitching.
    Would be nice, but I don't know about the Stros being willing to trade him to the Reds. Plus, he's owed 16mil next year.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I would target a player who could truly impact the team and is signed for a number of years reasonably. So no Cliff Lee, unless it is only for a guy like Alonso.

Go after Hanley Ramirez, kick those tires and see if Florida has decided it won't work with the team and their star. He won't pull that crap with Dusty. Or Scott Rolen, I suspect.

Call KC about Grienke. Yaneverknow.

Call Baltimore about Nick Markakis. See if he can be pried.

In each of those theoretical deals, I would include Chapman and Alonso as the center pieces, and see what else might be needed. I think teams would listen.

My guess is that Walt will not ruin the future to chase long odds. Chapman isn't getting traded, period. Alonso likely only goes if the Reds are looking very strong in July (and the player being acquired is the missing piece) or if the player being acquired is a non-rental. Guys like Wood, Maloney, Frazier, Soto, Francisco, etc will be the ones most likely being dangled.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 05-19-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: poor posting on my part

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We are about 2.5 months from that scenario. Lets see if we can stay in contention for that long first, and see what are needs are at that time.
    I don't necessarily like this strategy. I like big bold moves before they are expected to send waves throughout baseball. Its much better to make a move too early then make a move too late.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't necessarily like this strategy. I like big bold moves before they are expected to send waves throughout baseball. Its much better to make a move too early then make a move too late.
    That is good for the buyer but not for the seller. If you want to make a material addition early you're gonna have to make a Godfather offer.

I'd like to see Walt/Bob pull the trigger on a 2 year deal for Gomes. Reward the man, he's played pretty well for you over a season and some. Give him about $3.5-4 mill a year.

I think the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    My guess is that Walt will not ruin the future to chase long odds. Chapman isn't getting traded, period. Alonso likely only goes if the Reds are looking very strong in July (and the player being acquired is the missing piece) or if the player being acquired is a non-rental. Guys like Wood, Maloney, Frazier, Soto, Francisco, etc will be the ones most likely being dangled.
    Edabbs, how does targeting young all-stars under contract "ruin the future"? Seriously, how? I am not suggesting burning them on rentals. I am suggesting going after a piece to anchor this team for years to come.

And I love the idea of Chapman as much as the next Reds fan, even more, perhaps. But he is no sure thing, he has control issues to overcome, and if they can flip him as part of a package for a star like the ones I listed, I do that and don't blink.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-19-2010 at 09:20 AM.

has to be yes as he has prospects stacked on each other a 1b/3b/lf with Rolen/Votto blocking in the majors.

Turn Off Ads?