Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

Everyone,

In July, we posed a question to the site asking for feedback on potentially merging the Old Red Guard with the Sun Deck into one baseball forum. After considerable discussion within each forum’s thread, with the moderator staff, and between the administrators, we have decided to proceed with this merger.

Members who have been registered for 45 days and have a minimum of 50 posts will automatically be moved to the ORG (Game Thread posts will not count toward this tally). The Sun Deck will remain as an introductory forum for new members, and ORG members will have posting access as well; however, they will not be able to start new threads. This format is intended for new members to get their bearings (and allow the opportunity for ORG members to interact and mentor) before moving to the ORG.

To reiterate, there will no longer be a requirement for Sun Deck members to request access to the ORG. It will occur automatically after the minimum requirement of 45 days and 50 posts has been met. As such, ORG members will no longer vote on these applications. Additionally, there will not be demotions from the ORG to the Sun Deck as the Sun Deck will be, as stated earlier, an introductory forum for new members and no longer a standalone baseball forum. If a member does not abide by the site rules in the ORG, they will be given infractions, and, when warranted, removed from RedsZone altogether.

The moderator staff has been apprised to the framework of this change and is dedicated to helping keep the site run smoothly and successfully as we enter our 14th year as the best community of Reds fans online. We would also like to take this time to welcome back Tommyjohn25 as a site moderator, thank Johnny Footstool for his contributions as a moderator and thank the entire moderator staff for their hard work and commitment to the site.

We realize many long-time members have endured several significant changes to the site's structure over the years. We have always appreciated your patience and support during these times, and this one is no different. We also realize there was a large percentage of ORG members that did not want to see this change occur. We particularly ask those users to give these changes a chance; those joining the ORG will be subject to the same rules that ORG members are used to and not the relatively free reign many former Sun Deck members have enjoyed. We are especially open to your feedback now and as the change is implemented.

We tentatively plan on implementing these changes the weekend of 2/1 - 2/3 but this will definitely be done before Spring Training. We are excited to implement these new changes and are looking forward to a great new year and season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Important: Merging of the Baseball Forums

Oh boy.

This will be interesting.

I think it will be great. Thanks, Boss!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

As someone who feels like he was ORG-worthy for 8 years before he was finally granted access, I think this is a good idea.

As someone who spent 8 miserable years dealing with the unwashed masses in the Sun Deck, I think this is a bad idea.

I'll just assume that, per usual, reality is somewhere in between....

Rick

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am a big fan of this.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Huge Fan! When we first started voting I was avidly voting yes for everyone. After awhile, I went pure John Fay and abstained. Great move, Boss. It will be nice to get some new blood in the discussion.

Good move guys!

"Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm kind of glad this is happening. But I also can see where this could be interesting.

Thank you for the feedback. For those that think the move will be "interesting", that's where it falls on the admins and moderators to effectively moderate the site.

Thank you to all the mods, who contribute so much to us!

I'm excited about this change. If nothing else, it will be nice to see TexasDave and a few other guys again.

I'm not worried .. I know the mods will quickly take care of any problem cases, as they always have.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think this should work out well, as long as the Reds don't acquire Adam Dunn in the offseason
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Thanks for welcoming me back, Boss/GIK. I'll do my part!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm excited about this change. If nothing else, it will be nice to see TexasDave and a few other guys again.

I'm not worried .. I know the mods will quickly take care of any problem cases, as they always have.
    This is exactly how I feel about the changes.

The Sun Deck will remain as an introductory forum for new members, and ORG members will have posting access as well; however, they will not be able to start new threads. This format is intended for new members to get their bearings (and allow the opportunity for ORG members to interact and mentor) before moving to the ORG
    I believe that this change, in particular, is a really good idea, as it will help to facilitate discussion with the newbies, allowing us to fill the role of mentor that texasdave has filled so well for so long. That way, once promoted to ORG, newer posters will feel more comfortable and ready to contribute.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

As long this site is moderated as well as it has been ever since I have been here this shouldn't be a problem. I think having the SunDeck as a newbie forum is a great idea. It should cut down on the trolls that would come here and it can still weed out the bad posters and the one's who just come for a short stay.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?