Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 2010-11 NHL Season discussion

Re: 2010-11 NHL Season discussion

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Close... sooo close.

Big guys down doomed Wings, if they had moved ahead the Canucks would have beaten them hard, without the bigger RW's they are a very big team.
    Sharks and Wings are so close talentwise right now ... this series was just crazy. Only one game was decided by more than one goal, and that was a last minute empty-netter to make it a 2 goal decision.

Datsyuk is so good it's scary. I was nervous every time he carried the puck into the zone. And for a guy that skates around so much, spinning, changing direction, he never seems to get tired.

The Wings play with so much heart and determination. But this year's Sharks team does too. Thornton played his butt off on both ends of the ice. Clowe is a grinder, and Couture is a joy to watch. Niemi is better in net during the playoffs than Nabakov. Just a calmer influence between the pipes. He was outstanding last night.

The Canucks series should be a good one.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

So much for Detroit and Washington being the strong teams.

I'm still rooting for the Bruins considering who is left.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

"Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

God I hate Vancouver. I generally root against Eastern Conference teams in the finals but I hope either the lightening or Chara on the Bruins destroys the Sedin Sisters. I think next to Detroit, Vancouver is the team I despise the most.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    God I hate Vancouver. I generally root against Eastern Conference teams in the finals but I hope either the lightening or Chara on the Bruins destroys the Sedin Sisters. I think next to Detroit, Vancouver is the team I despise the most.
    Unfortunately the Sharks reverted back to their normal selves. Thornton and Marleau will take the brunt of the blame, but where the heck was Heatley for the past month?

NJ, the Sharks almost remind me of the Blues. The Blues had a run where they went to playoffs 25 years straight. Yet every single time they would fizzle out in the playoffs. Granted, they did come up against those dominant Red Wings teams of the 90's. I just don't know where San Jose can go from now. They seem to almost have an embarrassment of riches with the team they put together. Do you think it is coaching?

NJ, the Sharks almost remind me of the Blues. The Blues had a run where they went to playoffs 25 years straight. Yet every single time they would fizzle out in the playoffs. Granted, they did come up against those dominant Red Wings teams of the 90's. I just don't know where San Jose can go from now. They seem to almost have an embarrassment of riches with the team they put together. Do you think it is coaching?
    Unfortunately, as a fan of a west coast team while living on the east coast, I don't get to see them play enough to put my finger on it. But based on friends who watch them, and what I've read there's a lot of blame to go around.

- Coaching ... there are some that don't like the coach, but this team played hard in the playoffs and I'm not sure if a different coach gets different results.

- GM ... the salary cap handcuffed the Sharks, and they are a very salary top heavy team. They dumped some quality players (Erhoff ... who's with Vancouver) among others to get under the cap. Also, they traded prospects for deadline deal guys who didn't pan out. The Sharks are also weak on the blue line. Not a lot of quality defense.

- Leadership from players ... Thornton has a bad rep, but I thought he played really hard and really well during the playoffs. That wasn't the case in previous years. Marleau is up and down, but the criticism he gets doesn't match his production. He's scored a lot of big playoff goals. Heatley is a waste of space.

- Wacky NHL playoffs ... sometimes the best team doesn't win. Hot goalies and the like can end the dream. That wasn't the case this year, because I think Vancouver is better.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Unfortunately, as a fan of a west coast team while living on the east coast, I don't get to see them play enough to put my finger on it. But based on friends who watch them, and what I've read there's a lot of blame to go around.

- Coaching ... there are some that don't like the coach, but this team played hard in the playoffs and I'm not sure if a different coach gets different results.

- GM ... the salary cap handcuffed the Sharks, and they are a very salary top heavy team. They dumped some quality players (Erhoff ... who's with Vancouver) among others to get under the cap. Also, they traded prospects for deadline deal guys who didn't pan out. The Sharks are also weak on the blue line. Not a lot of quality defense.

- Leadership from players ... Thornton has a bad rep, but I thought he played really hard and really well during the playoffs. That wasn't the case in previous years. Marleau is up and down, but the criticism he gets doesn't match his production. He's scored a lot of big playoff goals. Heatley is a waste of space.

- Wacky NHL playoffs ... sometimes the best team doesn't win. Hot goalies and the like can end the dream. That wasn't the case this year, because I think Vancouver is better.
    I see a lot of Sharks games, they are kind of tweeners in style, not too big, not to small, skill players on the top two lines. Kind of historically they lack two things in my mind, a killer defenseman (Lindstrom, Pronger, Hatcher, Stevens) a real game changer, the other thing they tend to miss is real gritty 2 way superstar who takes the game (Modano, Yzerman, Forsberg)

The bridesmaid vibe is getting old down there, and I'm unsure if they get better this off season, as they are already pretty darn good....however it looks like they picked a bad time to peak as the Canucks are big and deep and can roll out endless combos at this stage of the season and that is the type of thing that wears a team down fast.

Well the stage is set. Boston vs Vancouver. Who are you all rooting for?

I generally do not like Boston teams but this is a case where the enemy of my enemy is my best friend. I want to continue the streak of Canadian teams not winning the Stanley Cup. I kind of get a slight giggle every time I hear a person from Canada whine about this issue and ultimately blaming it on Bettman. Is that a spiteful position on my part... absolutely. I admit it. I also just don't like the Canucks. I have always felt that they view themselves as a team that is entitled to win it all. I dislike the Sedin Sisters. Ever since the Blues faced them a couple of years ago in the playoffs, that team has always left a sour taste in my mouth. They sort of whine about every single little thing that happens to them.

Rant over

By the way, massive props to Stamkos tonight. The guys face was practically destroyed tonight by a puck but came back and played hard.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 05-28-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Well the stage is set. Boston vs Vancouver. Who are you all rooting for?

I generally do not like Boston teams but this is a case where the enemy of my enemy is my best friend. I want to continue the streak of Canadian teams not winning the Stanley Cup. I kind of get a slight giggle every time I hear a person from Canada whine about this issue and ultimately blaming it on Bettman. Is that a spiteful position on my part... absolutely. I admit it. I also just don't like the Canucks. I have always felt that they view themselves as a team that is entitled to win it all. I dislike the Sedin Sisters. Ever since the Blues faced them a couple of years ago in the playoffs, that team has always left a sour taste in my mouth. They sort of whine about every single little thing that happens to them.

Rant over

By the way, massive props to Stamkos tonight. The guys face was practically destroyed tonight by a puck but came back and played hard.
    I think the Sedin twins are exactly what the NHL needs more of. Skill players with flair and imagination.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Put me in the camp of those rooting for the Bruins. I don't like the Canucks one little bit.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Canucks in six, they are deep creative and everything good about the game currently, but if the Bruins win it's a big W for tradition and the original six.

In series like these I tend to let the team I want to win choose me, as a RW fan I could care less about all of them, as a hockey fan I'll end up siding with the team that charms me first.

Apparently the Thrashers have been sold and are moving to Winnepeg.
    http://www.foxsportssouth.com/05/31/...4354&GT1=39002

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Apparently the Thrashers have been sold and are moving to Winnepeg.
    http://www.foxsportssouth.com/05/31/...4354&GT1=39002
    Good, that town doesn't need a hockey team

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Good, that town doesn't need a hockey team
    I'm going to punch the next Canadian I meet right in the face.

Turn Off Ads?