Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso, Phillippe Valiquette to represent Reds in 2010 Futures Game

Yonder Alonso, Phillippe Valiquette to represent Reds in 2010 Futures Game

2010 Reds representives:

Yonder Alonso, Phillippe Valiquette

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

There's a few surprises for me. I thought Chapman was a lock for the World roster. I also thought DiDi Gregorius had a chance to make the World roster and maybe Travis Wood or Devin Mesoraco would make the USA roster. But then again, teams can only have two representives...
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-22-2010 at 04:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Yonder Alonso, Phillippe Valiquette to represent Reds in 2010 Futures Game

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    2010 Reds representives:

There's a few surprises for me. I thought Chapman was a lock for the World roster. I also thought DiDi Gregorius had a chance to make the World roster and maybe Travis Wood or Devin Mesoraco would make the USA roster. But then again, teams can only have two representives...
    Fair enough... But why those 2? Just because they are in the Upper Minors?

MLB sent a notice to the Reds saying they wanted the lefty that throws 100+ MPH that has to use a VISA to enter the USA.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    MLB sent a notice to the Reds saying they wanted the lefty that throws 100+ MPH that has to use a VISA to enter the USA.
    Hey, we got two of those!
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

"He's played more first base, which has probably relaxed him in all facets of his game. The numbers may not reflect it, but he's hit the ball hard all year without much luck," said Terry Reynolds, the Reds senior director of player development. "He is as good of a hitting prospect as we have."
    "He's got one of the better arms in our organization," Reynolds said. "He has come a long way in the years since we drafted him. He was a Canadian kid that hadn't played a lot. He's worked hard to get where he is."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Danny Herrera doesn't need a Visa so I can't thing of who this other lefty is.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Sir Arthur Rhodes is really a knight from England.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think LB and the OP was referring to Aroldis because IIRC Pedro Viola is history.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm just curious but how does it work with Andy Oliver? The Tigers pitching prospect has already been called up to the majors but he's still scheduled to be in the Futures game. Just didn't think he could do that.

OK, I know Yonder was born in Cuba, but didn't he immigrate to the US when he was like 12? Once you leave Cuba, its not like you can just go back, so I would assume he's a US citizen (or pehaps just an immigrant w/ no citizenship). I would have thought him to be on the US team. Of course, perhaps they needed more players for the international team, so they allowed him to play for the world team cause its not like it really matters.

Regarding Oliver above, I think they need to modify the rules a bit to allow rookies not in the all star game to play in the futures game, so guys like Leake could experience the even not having the opportunity to do so in the past. And if they're going to allow guys to play in this event more than once (I thought that wasn't possible, but some guy is making his 2nd appearance according the article) why not invite Bryce Harper to showcase his future star status talent? Would likely help promote more interest in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    OK, I know Yonder was born in Cuba, but didn't he immigrate to the US when he was like 12? Once you leave Cuba, its not like you can just go back, so I would assume he's a US citizen (or pehaps just an immigrant w/ no citizenship). I would have thought him to be on the US team. Of course, perhaps they needed more players for the international team, so they allowed him to play for the world team cause its not like it really matters.

Regarding Oliver above, I think they need to modify the rules a bit to allow rookies not in the all star game to play in the futures game, so guys like Leake could experience the even not having the opportunity to do so in the past. And if they're going to allow guys to play in this event more than once (I thought that wasn't possible, but some guy is making his 2nd appearance according the article) why not invite Bryce Harper to showcase his future star status talent? Would likely help promote more interest in the game.
    I think its just for making teams sake.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    2010 Reds representives:

I think the team has some say in who goes and who does not and the case may the Reds were sending guys they were looking to showcase for trades. Alonso is obviously blocked and availabe and Valiquette is a great example of a guy who's percieved value is higher than his real value. When some people see "100 MPH lefty", they tend not to notice "has not developed command or off speed stuff in 5 years in the minors"

Here's a note on Valiqette from Ed Price:

• Aroldis Chapman is the most famous lefty at Louisville, Cincinnati's Triple-A affiliate, but a scout who recently saw the Bats said Philippe Valiquette is also pitching well. Valiquette, a 23-year-old Canadian who began the year in Double-A, will be in Sunday's Futures Game.

"They call up both those guys and put them in the bullpen," the scout said, "and [the NL Central race] is over."
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/06/o...ys-from-flyin/

Valiquette can touch 100 mph but he lacks a secondary pitch. He's not ready for the big leagues yet.

I don't know if I buy that. They would help, but enough to end a playoff race? Of course that not a completely serious comment probably.

I hope that scout doesn't work for us.

Turn Off Ads?