Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves cut ties with center fielder Andruw Jones

Senor Votto

Braves cut ties with center fielder Andruw Jones

End of an era: Braves cut ties with center fielder Andruw Jones

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
    October 2, 2007

The Atlanta Braves are cutting ties with Andruw Jones, saying they can't afford to keep the perennial Gold Glove center fielder who's spent his entire career with the organization.

General manager John Schuerholz announced the decision Tuesday, shortly after breaking the news to Jones at Turner Field.

While hoping to stay in Atlanta, Jones wasn't caught off-guard by the team's stance. He made $13.5 million this season and was looking for a raise despite slumping badly.

"I'm fine with it," Jones told The Associated Press when reached on his cell phone. "I'm appreciative of the chance they gave me to play for Atlanta all these years. I understand the decision they have to make. That's just the way it is. It's a business."

Indeed, the move was not unexpected as the 30-year-old Jones batted only .222 in the final season of his $75 million contract. He's eligible to file for free agency after the World Series.

"It just doesn't work for us," Schuerholz said. "It doesn't demean or diminish everything he's done."

The Braves plan to use the money they'll save on Jones to bolster their starting rotation -- a glaring weakness beyond John Smoltz and Tim Hudson -- and to sign first baseman Mark Teixeira, who made $9 million this year and is eligible for arbitration.

Still, it was the end of an era in Atlanta. Jones first joined the Braves as a 19-year-old, hitting two homers in his first World Series game at Yankee Stadium in 1996. He has been one of the game's greatest defensive outfielders, winning nine straight Gold Gloves with his diving catches and over-the-wall grabs in center.

Jones also was one of the game's top sluggers in 2005-06, combining for 92 homers and 257 RBIs, but his production tailed off dramatically this season.

Jones fell to his worst average since becoming a full-time starter in 1997, with 26 homers and 94 RBIs.

Schuerholz said the team got an offer from Jones' agent, Scott Boras, last December but never seriously considered it.

Boras withdrew the offer, believed to be in the $20-million-a-year range, over the summer when the Braves never responded, Schuerholz said.

"What that did was to signal what we could fully expect," the GM said. Asked how much Boras was asking for, Schuerholz held his right hand over his head. "I can't reach that high," he quipped.

Jones is only the latest longtime Braves player to cut ties with Atlanta, following Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Javy Lopez. Once one of baseball's highest-spending teams under Ted Turner, the Braves cut their budget in recent years and went through a change in corporate owners.

Jones spent much of the year preparing to play elsewhere in 2008

"I've been telling people this for a long time," he said. "It's a business. You can't take it to heart. I just have to move on and start with a new team."

When it comes to contract matters, Schuerholz normally deals only with a player's agent. But he decided to call in Jones for a face-to-face meeting.

"It was appropriate for Andruw," Schuerholz said. "He deserved that."

Associated Press freelance writer Amy Jinkner-Lloyd contributed to this report.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Braves cut ties with center fielder Andruw Jones

The Braves are just making room for Junior. =)

I think Freel would look good in altanta

But does Atlanta have anything the Reds want?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Jr for Renteria.
    Then flip Renteria to Toronto for AJ Burnett.

Sign Dave Riske or one of the Japanese free agent relievers.

= 2008 NL Central Champs!

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Jr for Renteria.
    Then flip Renteria to Toronto for AJ Burnett.

Sign Dave Riske or one of the Japanese free agent relievers.

= 2008 NL Central Champs!
    Good try, except Atlant is in "Win Now" mode. They may in deed want Junior but we wouldn't get a player like Renteria. And if we did get Renteria I'd be in favor of keeping him and trading Gonzo.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    They traded most of their top prospects to Texas at the trade deadline. I will check their roster and see if there is anyone else we might want.

I think Jones ends up a Yankee.

Jones expects a raise?!? Surely no team is dumb enough to give hime a raise. Right?

Scott Boras obviously was trying to get Jones some money before everyone woke up and realized he isn't the same player he was.

I hate Boras. He's greedy and ruining baseball with his joke contracts.

I don't think anyone will pay Jones more than $4-$5 million next season and more than likely a 1 or 2 year deal because of his age. And I think Jones will be on the market for a long time while Boras ridiculously claims Jones deserves $15-$20 million per season. Jones will be sitting there and possibly get signed about next spring training.

If you could get Jones cheap to play CF, would you trade Josh Hamilton for pitching? I would. In my opinion, Hamilton is our best trade bait. He's a 5 tool player. He's still cheap. He is good defensively. He's good on the basepaths. He has power. And we have someone almost like him ready to come up - Jay Bruce - who will be just as cheap.

No team wants Griffey, so we just have to ride that contract out one more season.

1. Pick up the option on Dunn and try and sign him long term for LF.

2. If you can pick up Andrew Jones at a reasonable amount - $4 to $6 million per season, sign him for CF.

3. Trade Josh Hamilton for starting pitching.

4. Keep Griffey in RF. When he gets hurt, bring up Jay Bruce. Plus you always have Hopper.

Senor Votto

I really except Jones to go out West

I would take Jones for 3 years at 18(or less if you can con him into playing for less) mil a year not for his bat, because it is comparable to Dunn, but more for his upgrade at Defense, even though he was way under his normal years this year.,.. his D is still vastly superior to Dunns.. and Dunn will command at least 20 mil a year in the offseason.. probably 22.5 mil a year is my guess.. at least that is what he will want..
    Last edited by Ahhhorsepoo; 10-03-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Scott Boras obviously was trying to get Jones some money before everyone woke up and realized he isn't the same player he was.

I hate Boras. He's greedy and ruining baseball with his joke contracts.

I don't think anyone will pay Jones more than $4-$5 million next season and more than likely a 1 or 2 year deal because of his age. And I think Jones will be on the market for a long time while Boras ridiculously claims Jones deserves $15-$20 million per season. Jones will be sitting there and possibly get signed about next spring training.

If you could get Jones cheap to play CF, would you trade Josh Hamilton for pitching? I would. In my opinion, Hamilton is our best trade bait. He's a 5 tool player. He's still cheap. He is good defensively. He's good on the basepaths. He has power. And we have someone almost like him ready to come up - Jay Bruce - who will be just as cheap.

No team wants Griffey, so we just have to ride that contract out one more season.

1. Pick up the option on Dunn and try and sign him long term for LF.

2. If you can pick up Andrew Jones at a reasonable amount - $4 to $6 million per season, sign him for CF.

3. Trade Josh Hamilton for starting pitching.

4. Keep Griffey in RF. When he gets hurt, bring up Jay Bruce. Plus you always have Hopper.
    Who are you wanting to sign for that money? Matt Murton? Andruw Jones is far better than that.. 4-6 mil isnt reasonable at all, unless you want a utility player, or a 4th outfielder on most teams..

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    I would take Jones for 3 years at 18(or less if you can con him into playing for less) mil a year not for his bat, because it is comparable to Dunn, but more for his upgrade at Defense, even though he was way under his normal years this year.,.. his D is still vastly superior to Dunns.. and Dunn will command at least 20 mil a year in the offseason.. probably 22.5 mil a year is my guess.. at least that is what he will want..
    Dunn won't cost that much. Andrew Jones is the one wanting a raise when he hit .220 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    Who are you wanting to sign for that money? Matt Murton? Andruw Jones is far better than that.. 4-6 mil isnt reasonable at all, unless you want a utility player, or a 4th outfielder on most teams..
    You honestly think Jones is going to get $8 or $10 million per year?
    You've got to be kidding me?

Turn Off Ads?