Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Times on Jocketty

NY Times on Jocketty

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/sp...r=2&ref=sports

He mentions Billy Martin as an early mentor. I remember when I was a kid meeting Martin after a spring training game in Tucson. My brother and I were waiting in the parking lot, totally alone as it was well after the game, with two broken bats given to us during the day (We'd go for the whole DAY, watch morning workouts etc. Got a lot of balls, bats, etc. and to meet and talk to Bob Feller.) We ran over and asked "Mr. Martin" to sign them as he was walking to his car. He couldn't have been nicer. He mussed our hair, signed the bats, and drove off. He seemed like a lonely guy. He made our day though.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NY Times on Jocketty

Good article. I'm glad the times recognized that while Jocketty has done well, he came in to a good situation, one better than many realized.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Knows baseball despite playing APBA. Everyone knows real baseball men are Strat men
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

while Jocketty has done well, he came in to a good situation, one better than many realized.
    No one deserves more credit for the team's rise to prominence than the guy who has put the roster together.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Knows baseball despite playing APBA. Everyone knows real baseball men are Strat men
    Joey Votto will have a MONSTER card next year

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    LOL. I'd forgotten all about Stratomatic. We used to play that all the time back in the early 80's. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Good article. I'm glad the times recognized that while Jocketty has done well, he came in to a good situation, one better than many realized.
    If you could go back in time knowing what you now know Rick, would you hire Walt in 2008? Would you get rid of him today if you could? Just asking cause giving Walt credit for his moves seems hard to get from you . I'm not looking to start some trouble, I'd just like for you to lay out your assessment of Walt.

I thought Walt was in his 60's, shows what I know.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd use the word "realized" in a different way for Jocketty in that he caused something to happen. Potential can be a heavy burden and the Reds have had potential before and nothing came of it. WJ made it actually happen.

Like my sig on another board, things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Even worse, I thought he was closer to 70 than 60 for whatever reason and the thought of him running the show the next 10 years were out of the question. Knowing he's only 59, looks like he's in good health (as far as one can tell from seeing him on TV), he could easily put in another 10 seasons if he wanted.

I think what makes Jock look aged is his lack of hair, and the fact that what hair he does have is snow white. He doesn't look that old in the face, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Even worse, I thought he was closer to 70 than 60 for whatever reason and the thought of him running the show the next 10 years were out of the question. Knowing he's only 59, looks like he's in good health (as far as one can tell from seeing him on TV), he could easily put in another 10 seasons if he wanted.
    If not he could always turn it over to Bavasi, heard he does wonders with moving Minor League talent...

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I think what makes Jock look aged is his lack of hair, and the fact that what hair he does have is snow white. He doesn't look that old in the face, though.
    Fitting for the club that once employed Sparky Anderson. Looking back at photos and clips, it's almost impossible to believe Sparky was only 41 during the '75 season.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I realize it may have never meshed well, but remember, Jocketty was hired on before Krivsky ever left. I wonder if Krivsky and Jocketety had worked together what could have been. I realize ego may not have allowed on that, but that could've been special.

I am surprised Krivsky hasn't gotten another chance to be a GM. Hopefully he will be.

Turn Off Ads?