Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton, c'mon down...er, up!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Billy Hamilton, c'mon down...er, up!

The Cincinnati OF has a place reserved just for you.

Seriously. Hamilton can't be that far away, can he?

He's GOT to be able to make better contact than a guy who refuses to take the bat off his shoulder.

Who knows, Hamilton might not hate to bunt more than three times a season.

"Bunting doesn't by any means define my game," Stubbs said. "It's just an added weapon to my arsenal. When it's available and the situation presents itself, be able to capitalize. It gives me a chance to use my speed."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton, c'mon down...er, up!

I think Stubbs may want to alter his approach just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Seriously. Hamilton can't be that far away, can he?
    Hamilton has only played a handful of games above low-A... Given that his game is still very much a work in progress, I'd be shocked if we saw him before 2014.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

As awful as Stubbs is, next year is the earliest we'll see Hamilton.

A more likely scenario is Stubbs to the pine and Heisey as the starting CF.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

"Bunting doesn't by any means define my game," Stubbs said. "It's just an added weapon to my arsenal. When it's available and the situation presents itself, be able to capitalize. It gives me a chance to use my speed."
    And he is right, striking out does.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And he is right, striking out does.
    Word.

The way the Reds bring up Minor Leaguer's,look forward to Hamilton around 2016,2018.

Hamilton will be up at least to Louisville by the end of the year. That I can guarantee. He's not much in terms of offense but I say bat him 2nd and let him bunt and leg them out. You'll at least get a sacrifice out of it as long as Phillips is leading off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    The way the Reds bring up Minor Leaguer's,look forward to Hamilton around 2016,2018.
    Beat me too it.

cant he hit? i thought he was kinda like stubbs just faster? i mean stubbs wont even try to bunt. he tricked us all on opening day. the thing is he see's others on team do and it works but he still just stares at the ball.

After watching Valdez bunt safely twice yesterday, I fully expect Stubbs to not attempt one for the next 25 games.

I really think those scouts that were warning pre-draft that he wouldn't hit enough weren't talking just about his swing.

He must have always had these issues. Between the ears issues.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    After watching Valdez bunt safely twice yesterday, I fully expect Stubbs to not attempt one for the next 25 games.

I really think those scouts that were warning pre-draft that he wouldn't hit enough weren't talking just about his swing.

He must have always had these issues. Between the ears issues.
    I was expecting Valdez to bunt in the 9th. You would have to think that would be the last thing the Nats would be looking for. Valdez strikes me as a heady player.

I think with Brandon's extension that the Reds could shop Hamilton for maybe a pitcher or outfield bat. Our infield is pretty solidified for the next few years. I just don't see where Billy fits in. I wish we could get a RH bat that hits for some power and can play the corner OF spots. Thats the #1 priority on my Reds wish list. #2 would be another reliever. The bullpen seems to be somewhat solid but you can never have enough middle relievers esp. with Masset down right now, and Simon and Arredondo(I thought this guy would have a great year in 2012 but seems to be the same pitcher we had last year) having control issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    I think with Brandon's extension that the Reds could shop Hamilton for maybe a pitcher or outfield bat. Our infield is pretty solidified for the next few years. I just don't see where Billy fits in. I wish we could get a RH bat that hits for some power and can play the corner OF spots. Thats the #1 priority on my Reds wish list.
    Well, only 10 of the 13 position players they have now are RH.

What's one more? You could platoon him with Bruce in RF.

Hamilton is at least a few years away from hitting major league pitching.

Phipps is struggling currently (SSS), but tore it up in the minors the last two years. In 82 games in AA he wend .328/.382/.502 before being promoted to Louisville for 40 games and hitting .380/.428/.576.

If I were Walt, I'd be looking for move Stubbs for anything, possibly a serviceable vet reliever who can put some innings on his shoulders. Then I'd stick Heisey in CF every day and let Phipps share time with Ludwick over in left. Couldn't be worse than what we've seen out of Stubbs last year, and whatever the hell it is we're seeing him do this year.

Andrew Brackman is lighting up AAA right now BTW. Only 6 innings, but I know he could do better than Simon. Also Kanekoa Texeira has only given up two hits in 5.1 innings of work, I don't expect it to stick, but so far he's been pretty good compared to the other hurlers we have down there.
    Last edited by joshua; 04-13-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Turn Off Ads?