Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: 8.26.13 Reds @ Cardinals

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: 8.26.13 Reds @ Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Not for me. I don't know why, but the Phillies games never bothered me. It was what it was. The Mother's Day Massacre was that game where the Braves scored a million runs in the bottom of the 9th to beat us, right? That suuuuuucked, but it was still just a May game. This is August, this the Cardinals who keep thrashing us over and over, and they did it again in grand fashion. This is about as bad as it gets.
    I've kinda gotten numb to this, though. I've just accepted that they're better... at least against the Reds. We just have to hope someone else can beat them. It's a weird love triangle. Reds seem to have an edge on the Bucs. Bucs seem to have the edge on the Cards.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    this is not a World Series team no matter who the manager is.
    It really isn't a WS team. It's a 162 game mulligan. But they can reload; at least it's not 2005.

4. Likes:

Always Red (08-26-2013),WVRedsFan (08-26-2013)

Anything interesting on the pitchfx charts? Are they available yet? I'd like to see what the zone was tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    When Ondrusek, at any point and for any duration, can be considered the most effective arm for your pen, you're in trouble. This team is, in every area, just this much short. No area is colossally bad, just not great, and in no way dominating. Not even their starters. They're just shy of everything.
    Not good enough is just that. Blame the umps, sign stealing, whatever. We lost to a team that is superior in several ways, not the least of which is mentally. STL knows they own us - if they didn't get the Reds in the 7th, they'd have done it in the 8th or 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Don't agree. This team when healthy won 97 games last year and beat the Cards by 9 games. And that was with Stubbs leading off. But its not the injuries, something is really missing this season. You see it in the numerous miscues. This team is fine on paper. But something is missing.
    I think it's a pretty similar team to last year's, but I don't think last year's team was "great". Meanwhile, two teams whizzed past them, and look pretty great to me.

Reds need an alpha male in their rotation like Cliff Lee and a clobberer in their lineup like last year's Ludwick.

I still feel like there are too many emotional youngins on this team. Need some salt, some grit.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Anything interesting on the pitchfx charts? Are they available yet? I'd like to see what the zone was tonight.
    Seconded. I hate excuses and blaming officials, but the zone appeared to be garbage tonight.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

9. Likes:

Red Raindog (08-26-2013)

If the Reds come back and win the next two games they will really show me something because I can see the next two being lopsided ugly in favor of STL.

Hope i'm horribly wrong.

I think it's a pretty similar team to last year's, but I don't think last year's team was "great". Meanwhile, two teams whizzed past them, and look pretty great to me.

Reds need an alpha male in their rotation like Cliff Lee and a clobberer in their lineup like last year's Ludwick.

I still feel like there are too many emotional youngins on this team. Need some salt, some grit.
    is it time to start thinking about a new direction in the dugout?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    If the Reds come back and win the next two games they will really show me something because I can see the next two being lopsided ugly in favor of STL.

Hope i'm horribly wrong.
    The odds of that happening are precisely nil. That's got nothing to do with negativity or anything. That's as close to a guarantee as gravity and friction.

13. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (08-26-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-26-2013)

Agreed, but I was talking about the last four games which is micro season of the whole season. But I agree, I cringe anytime I see Parra come into a game there is a reason why he was cut by Milwaukee. He couldn't pitch consistently. You roll the dice with him. Same with Hoover. He's young, and I understand, but after his hot streak, he's as shaky as can be. We needed to score runs against the Brewers and couldn't because they couldn't hit. They needed relief tonight, but the marginal pitchers were not good. It's not playoff capable. We've known it all year but have been in denial. I still have hope, but this is not a World Series team no matter who the manager is.
    I think your offense point is still valid. They scored 6 yes, on a 3 run error.
    Yes that was a very impressive infield single. I thought for a second it was leaving the yard. - texasdave 10/13/12

Go ahead. It won't make any difference.

16. Likes:

WVRedsFan (08-26-2013)

It's past time, imo.

It really isn't a WS team. It's a 162 game mulligan. But they can reload; at least it's not 2005.
    And reload they must. The starters are fine, even though I hold my breath when Arroyo or Leake pitch. The bullpen is strange. Without Brox or Marshall there ( and I doubt they'll ever be the same), you just don't have any hammers. Shortand third need to be addressed. .220-.240 hitters have got to get better or find someone else. Choo will be gone in 2014, so some MLB outfielder who can hit must come on board. Reloading may mean letting Choo go, trading the horribly inconsistent Heisey, and finding a bench hitting better than .230.

It's easy. I hope.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Agreed, but I was talking about the last four games which is micro season of the whole season. But I agree, I cringe anytime I see Parra come into a game there is a reason why he was cut by Milwaukee. He couldn't pitch consistently. You roll the dice with him. Same with Hoover. He's young, and I understand, but after his hot streak, he's as shaky as can be. We needed to score runs against the Brewers and couldn't because they couldn't hit. They needed relief tonight, but the marginal pitchers were not good. It's not playoff capable. We've known it all year but have been in denial. I still have hope, but this is not a World Series team no matter who the manager is.
    The W-L record against .500+ teams has been there for some time now. Outside of pure luck and timing, what makes anyone think this team could just flip a switch and take out several quality teams in October?

Eventually, Walt will have to decide if it's time to restructure....a case can be made that this isn't working if a championship is the goal. Or he could simply leave as is with minor tweaks. After all, this is a competitive team, WC spot within sight, with a fan base setting GABP attendance records.

Who wouldn't chew off their left arm to have Allen Craig smack dab in the middle of the Reds' lineup.
    Yes

Turn Off Ads?