Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 11/18

Birthdays: 11/18

Reds:

Tim Hummel (33) -Thug Life!!!

Dante Bichette (48) -In 1995 he almost won the Triple Crown, but still didn't win the MVP; some guy named Larkin beat him out.

Steve Henderson (59) -Part of the famous Seaver trade; after he retired he did some coaching and got a college degree in multimedia and political science.

Jay Hook (75) -A Northwestern engineering student who could explain why a curve ball curves but couldn't get one to do so regularly. Won the first game in New York Met history. Later got a master's in thermodynamics and went to work for GM.

Others:

C.J. Wilson (31) -A devout Taoist, he has the words "straight edge" tattooed on his torso.

Gary Sheffield (43) -All-time L.A. Dodger leader in OBP. Represented five different teams in the All-Star game, hit 25+ homers for six different franchises; both of which I believe are records.

Tom Gordon (44) - Only pitcher with 100 wins, 100 holds and 100 saves.

Jamie Moyer (49) -Digger Phelps' son-in-law. How long has be been around? He was a teammate of Chris Speier and Davey Lopes on the Cubs.

Gene Mauch -Long-time manager of teams that mostly didn't have a lot of talent.

Colby Jack Coombs -Led the AL in wins in 1910 and 1911.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Birthdays: 11/18

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Gary Sheffield (43) -All-time L.A. Dodger leader in OBP. Represented five different teams in the All-Star game, hit 25+ homers for six different franchises; both of which I believe are records.
    A guy who scared the heck out of me whenever he was in the batter's box against our favorite team. I hated him! But of course would have loved to seen him wearing a REDS uniform.

Steroids?!? Attitude?!? But man could he hit.

Tom Gordon the only MLB player to have a Stephen King book named after him, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. That's the only Stephen King book I have read,BTW.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    A guy who scared the heck out of me whenever he was in the batter's box against our favorite team. I hated him! But of course would have loved to seen him wearing a REDS uniform.

Steroids?!? Attitude?!? But man could he hit.
    Sheffield was a juicer. No doubt.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Sheffield is the guy who said he intentionally made errors when he wanted a trade (I think he was playing 3B or SS for Milwaukee at the time)

As good a hitter as he was, that comment will stick with me.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Tim Hummel (33) -Thug Life!!!

Dante Bichette (48) -In 1995 he almost won the Triple Crown, but still didn't win the MVP; some guy named Larkin beat him out.

Steve Henderson (59) -Part of the famous Seaver trade; after he retired he did some coaching and got a college degree in multimedia and political science.

Jay Hook (75) -A Northwestern engineering student who could explain why a curve ball curves but couldn't get one to do so regularly. Won the first game in New York Met history. Later got a master's in thermodynamics and went to work for GM.
    I'd like to add Ken Burkhart to this list. He pitched a little bit for the Reds in '48 and '49 but later became a National League umpire (from '57 thru '73).

Reds fans remeber him well because of his involvement in the play at the plate in the first game of the 1970 World Series. Bernie Carbo, Elrod Hendricks, tag with an empty glove...you know the story.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I wasn't really in touch with my Reds during Hummel's time with them. I've seen that reference numerous times..."thug life". Anyone care to explain it?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I wasn't really in touch with my Reds during Hummel's time with them. I've seen that reference numerous times..."thug life". Anyone care to explain it?
    Felipe Lopez was recently on the DL and Tim Hummel came up and played SS. some poster was oblivious that Lopez was out but said something along the lines of "get that neck-tattooed thuglife wannabe outta short!"

or something to that likeness.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Gotcha. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?