Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we take either of these guys at #15?

Do we take either of these guys at #15?

So I'm starting to muse about who I'd like to see the Reds take at #15 this year. It means next to nothing -- I haven't seen any of these kids play, so it's almost entirely a matter of taste/guesswork. But, I'm most curious about 3 guys right now...

1. Yasmani Grandal -- switch-hitting HS catcher (almost heresy, because HS catchers taken in round 1 haven't done well historically -- though we do have Mauer and McCann in recent years). Reds badly need catching talent, and this kid is supposed to have it, offensively and defensively.

2. 7'0" Andrew Brackman from NC State and Moeller High. Hometown boy. Reall tall, throws hard. Problem -- may want big $$$ via Boras and the Reds have lots of high picks to sign this year.

3. Daniel Moskos -- LH reliever/turned starter at Clemson. Throws hard. I'd like to see a few lefties taken in the first 10 rounds this year, and this guy seems like he'd advance pretty quickly.

Still a long way to go, but these are guys I've got my eye on early....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do we take either of these guys at #15?

I would take the catcher as we have virtually no depth in this farm system at that spot. He has some pop with 10 hr's at the high school level but could be hard to sign also as he has signed the letter of intent with Miami
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 04-23-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Brackman probably wont be there. Just too much upside for him to drop that far.

No catchers, please. (about 1% chance of one panning out)

No catchers, please. (about 1% chance of one panning out)
    Should be fun here at RZ if they go early on a backstop or two.

So...Joe Mauer's been okay, no? Just sayin'...

I hate absolutes. And it's not like the Reds have even a shred of a prospect within ten million miles of their organization at catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    So...Joe Mauer's been okay, no? Just sayin'...

I hate absolutes. And it's not like the Reds have even a shred of a prospect within ten million miles of their organization at catcher.
    And when an organization starts drafting based on needs they are completely screwed. You take the best guy on your board. If its a catcher, then so be it.

I agree doug. But I thought I was hearing some up there say "don't-take-a-catcher-regardless" and I can't believe that would be the right way to go either. If the Reds have a C as the best player on the board when they pick in the first round, I hope they select him. Period.

I worry about Brackman. Those big trees don't fair well. Back and arm problems. Lots of mechanical issues to keep straight. Pitchers 6'9"+ have a track record of reaching their potential about as good as catchers drafted in the first round. I love his stuff, and while today he is great looking prospect, I worry about his projections moving forward.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Catchers pan out less frequently than high school pitchers do, so its a fairly big risk but if your scouts say hes the best guy, take him.

And when an organization starts drafting based on needs they are completely screwed. You take the best guy on your board. If its a catcher, then so be it.
    I agree. But, if it so happens that if this kid really is top-notch defensively and offensively, and he does have prospect pedigree (which I tend to buy into) -- a recent ranking has him rising into the top twenty -- then I think you can validate the selection based on system-wide need. I get skeptical when folks start saying that because the Reds have a hole at one position (regardless of what's in the minors) that the 1st draft choice should be at that position. But when the whole system is bereft, then I think you can weigh that factor when choosing among similarly talented players.

I'm still unsure of what the Reds have in Tatum, Anthony Esquer and Eddy Rodriguez. Most likely, not a lot. I don't think Perez will ever hit. This is supposed to be a good year for catchers -- with both Grandal and a few college guys -- so I'm hoping the Reds snag more than 1 in the top 10 rounds, and preferably 1 in the top 2 rounds. Usually, I don't feel that way. But these are desperate times behind the plate.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Catchers pan out less frequently than high school pitchers do, so its a fairly big risk but if your scouts say hes the best guy, take him.
    I agree. A high-school catcher offers about the longest odds on the board. Not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule; the aforementioned Joe Mauer was obviously one. But if I'm going to take a prep catcher in round one, my scouts had better be able to explain to me why he's the exception and not the rule.

The unfortunate part is, if it's easy to make that case, he's probably off the board at #15.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If they still went to the 62nd round I'd call Tommy Lasorda and see if he saw any Piazza types looming out there. Honestly, BA doesn't show much even on their Prospect Plus for scouts on the catcher forefront when you get past the first ten rounds.

Are there any prospects who throws close to 100 mph? Thats who I'd like to see get drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Are there any prospects who throws close to 100 mph? Thats who I'd like to see get drafted.
    Why bother. Colt Griffin can already be had for nothing.

Turn Off Ads?