Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: This team is worse than last year.

Re: This team is worse than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Yea, that 20 MILLION+ per year man is awesome, he already has 2 rbi's in only 11 games! On pace for 29 rbi's and 0 hr's!
    Lets see, last year when he came back in 32 games he had 0 hr's and 7 rbi's.
    Through 12 games last season
    .293 AVG
    .873 OPS
    4 extra base hits
    1 HR

Through 12 games his season
    .289 AVG
    .990 OPS
    3 extra base hits
    1 HR

Yep the world sure is ending

2. Turn Off Ads?

True. I looked up last season's schedule and they were actually 4-8 through 12 games. I didn't realize that. All it takes is to not fall too far behind and have a solid month like they did last year when Votto went out to separate themselves from the pack.
    Hanagan gets a lot of credit for calling the game and being a great receiver of the baseball. I mean, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Through 12 games last season
    .293 AVG
    .873 OPS
    4 extra base hits
    1 HR

Through 12 games his season
    .289 AVG
    .990 OPS
    3 extra base hits
    1 HR

Yep the world sure is ending
    yeah, but he's down one extra base hit from last year. Clearly this means that Votto needs to be sent down to AAA, Chapman gets put on first base, and then the Reds forfeit their season and try again next year.

The team has been dreadful to watch the past 5 games and it is far too early to freak out, but in my opinion there are reasons to be worried.

"The Reds at this point of the season had a worse record and ended up with 97 wins" is a statement that I keep hearing. Last year the Reds also won 11 games in a row, which played a major role in the last couple months of the season. Before the Reds went on their winning streak they were in a dogfight with the Cards and Pirates and this streak really made the season. After the streak the Reds played with a lot of confidence the rest of the way which is very difficult to duplicate.

161 games started last year were by the top 5 starters in the organization. Not only is the chance of repeating that incredible feat already gone the injured pitcher is the ace of the staff. Cingrani is mowing down AAA hitters at an incredible clip, but let's be honest, he is most likely going to get owned at the major league level.

I know it is early but I truly think the way the team bounces back from this terrible road trip is going to give us a good indication of what to expect from this team moving forward. in 2010 and 2012 when the Reds were knocked down they almost always immediately got back up and confidently went back to work.

I understand stats can make what I am saying make me look foolish. As I am typing this I am thinking of small sample sizes and good players under performing based off of career averages but I just cannot shake this bad feeling I have about this season. Something just does not feel right. I also have a feeling another major player is going to go down due to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I understand stats can make what I am saying make me look foolish. As I am typing this I am thinking of small sample sizes and good players under performing based off of career averages but I just cannot shake this bad feeling I have about this season. Something just does not feel right. I also have a feeling another major player is going to go down due to injury.
    You're posting your gut feelings and opinions. Nothing wrong with that. I think all of us at the very least in the back of our mind have this feeling.

I just keep cheering myself by thinking that the next three series SHOULD be easier, in Philly/Miami/Chicago. If we struggle during these three I'll actually be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Hanagan gets a lot of credit for calling the game and being a great receiver of the baseball. I mean, really?
    No idea how this is related to my post but ok?
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

8. Likes:

KC2135 (04-18-2013)

Lose to Marlins with chance at 1st place? Need to win the next two.
    Last edited by reds700; 04-19-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Lost to the Marlins. Season is over.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

The more I think about this current reds season, the less I am concerned that'll it will be worse than last year. Sure, I think this team could use some tweaks and improvements, but very few teams are complete this time of year. Also looking back at the wins and losses leaves me with little concern. The team has not played an inirdinate amount of games against weak opponents to lead to wins. The reds arent winning games that they have no business winning either. Doing that is a sign of a team playing over their heads and is a cause for concern. Looking at the majority of the losses doesnt leave me unsettled either. Our relief pitching issues will even out. In our losses Hoover has been over worked, broxton has come in rusty, and last night chapman gave up an improbable homer. I like Hoover, but once Marshall returns and now that Ondrusek has returned, he will not be used as frequently. So, his ineffectiveness due to overuse will be less of an issue. Broxton was hammered in Pittsburgh because he wasn't used for a week and was rusty. Hopefully dusty learns from this and doesn't allow that to happen again. Against the marlins, or most opponents for that matter, ill take my chances with chapman. He's human. Crap happens. As far as the offense goes, votto will come around, hopefully mez sees more time. So more or less, to be .5 games out of first at this point, and honestly most of the losses occurring because of things that will be, or have been corrected, or just a luck on the other teams part, while the wins the reds get have little to do with luck, leaves me with little issue for concern. This team will hit its stride, and when they do, look out.

Reading this thread...

Oof. :no:

This team is definitely better than last year. They got off to as slow start as well last year. The pitching thus far this year has been above average. The rotation is pitching well with the exception of a few games. Choo is an excellent pickup. I really hope the Reds are able to keep him beyond this season. We already knew he was comfortable at GABP before he ever put on a Reds uniform. I dreaded every at bat he had when the Reds played the Indians. He seemed to always come up big and he has disappointed thus far. The one thing I will say is that the Reds seem to go through mini slumps way to much. I know Jacoby is supposedly one of the best but in my opinion he isnt worth the money. Dusty is also supposed to be a hitting guru. I just wish the lineup could be more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by R3DL3GS View Post
    I just wish the lineup could be more consistent.
    I feel you there. The issue isnt getting on base. It's driving in runs and avoiding the strikeout. Pete Rose described Tony Perez as getting dollar signs in his eyes when he saw men on base. I'd love for the Reds to be able to find a player that does the same thing when he sees men on base. Honestly aside from Phillips here lately no one seems to have that attitude.

Reds are looking good, have some patience. The only thing I am worried about is injuries, we've had our share already. Would like someone to step up in LF, but am happy with our other spots.

I think a Paul/Robinson platoon will be ok in left for the time being. I would love to never see Heisey in a reds uni again, but that will obviously not happen.

Turn Off Ads?