Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ted Kennedy R.I.P.

Re: Ted Kennedy R.I.P.

It will be interesting to see how Mass. handles his replacement. As of now, he can only be replaced through special election, which will take months. There was a big push to pass legislation which would allow an appointment.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Don't think I've agreed with a single thing he's ever said politically.

None the less, watching a loved one die from cancer (or anything) is heart-breaking and someone's lost a father/husband/uncle/grand-father. For that I'm sorry and offer my condolences to the Kennedy clan. That's a personal tragedy for that family.

I've had some up-close experiences with cancer and death lately so I can empathize somewhat with his loved ones. I hope they somehow find comfort in the coming days.
    My sentiments exactly.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Don't think I've agreed with a single thing he's ever said politically.

None the less, watching a loved one die from cancer (or anything) is heart-breaking and someone's lost a father/husband/uncle/grand-father. For that I'm sorry and offer my condolences to the Kennedy clan. That's a personal tragedy for that family.

I've had some up-close experiences with cancer and death lately so I can empathize somewhat with his loved ones. I hope they somehow find comfort in the coming days.
    This is where I am as well.

I do wish more politicians would be as unappologetic in defending what they believe as Kennedy was.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It will be interesting to see how history portrays him. After his failed presidential bids, he seemed to be doomed to always be considered a political underachiever. Lately, he's been portrayed as a "lion of the Senate."

Those who think that his passing marks the end of the Kennedy dynasty aren't paying attention to the family members in the next two generations who have been elected to various offices. His passing may raise their profile.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

History will remember Kennedy as a flawed man, but a great statesman.

Love him or hate him, you never really questioned where Kennedy was coming from with his legislation or his proposals.

American politics could use more politicians like Kennedy on both sides of the aisle.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The first thing I thought of is that Kennedy was the same age my dad was when he passed away. As a result, my overriding thought is that the Senator's family and friends are today mourning the loss of a loved one, and my heart goes out to them.
    Last edited by RichRed; 08-26-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It will be interesting to see how history portrays him. After his failed presidential bids, he seemed to be doomed to always be considered a political underachiever. Lately, he's been portrayed as a "lion of the Senate."

Those who think that his passing marks the end of the Kennedy dynasty aren't paying attention to the family members in the next two generations who have been elected to various offices. His passing may raise their profile.
    Maybe, I know that there are a few younger Kennedys in politics but in the last 40 years he was the only Kennedy left that was a prominent national political figure. We'll have to wait and see on the younger ones.

I think missing out on the presidency probably made him a better senator. He figured out that he wasn't going to go anywhere else and made the most of it.
    Love him or hate him, one cannot deny the impact he has had on the American political landscape.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Anything is possible, but the history of American political dynasties would indicate that this is unlikely. The generations that follow a family political patriarch tend to not be as single minded and focused on political success. As only one example, FDR's childen dabbled in politics but hardly had the political achievements of their father.
    It has now been nearly a half century since JFK was president and several generations have been born who have no memory of that time.
    Part of the Kennedy image in the 1960s was one of youth, but virtually all of the surviving children of Jack, Bobby and Ted are now older than JFK and RFK were when they were murdered. John F. Kennedy Jr. was the one Kennedy child on the next generation who appeared to have "it" as a possible national figure, and, who knows, had he not perished in an air crash a decade ago perhaps he might now be a national political leader.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

There's a little bit of Ted Kennedy in all of us.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was one of Ted Kennedy's pick-up lines.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Unless we are talking about something like each of us have blood I resent this statement!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm Irish, but that's about as far as it goes.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Gentlemen.....

I was simply referring to the fact that we are all fallible, imperfect humans. We all have that capability within us to do good and bad, right and wrong, just like a Ted Kennedy.

Our lives are spent trying to do more good then bad. And when we have to - learning from our mistakes.

Ted Kennedy, regardless of what any ideological differences one may have with him, spent his life dedicated to service and doing what he thought was right by the American people. I'm not going to fault or criticize him for that, just because I disagreed with him on various issues.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Gentlemen.....

I was simply referring to the fact that we are all fallible, imperfect humans. We all have that capability within us to do good and bad, right and wrong, just like a Ted Kennedy.

Our lives are spent trying to do more good then bad. And when we have to - learning from our mistakes.

Ted Kennedy, regardless of what any ideological differences one may have with him, spent his life dedicated to service and doing what he thought was right by the American people. I'm not going to fault or criticize him for that, just because I disagreed with him on various issues.
    Sure we're all fallible but very, very few of us will be responsible for a situation like what happened at Chappaquitic.

The truth is if he wasn't born a Kennedy we never would have heard of him. If his name wasn't Kennedy he would have spent a great deal of the 70s in jail.

I think a great deal of this lovefest isn't due to his great accomplishments as a statesman but due to the fact that he was the last in his generation of a very influential family in America.

Turn Off Ads?