Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Name

Re: One Name

Why do so many think that Fowler is available?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I ask the same about most of these guys.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Fowler.

26 years old.
    Switch Hitter.
    OBP in the .370+ range.

Rockies are a mess, and should be a willing trade partner.

there seems to be a perception (at least among fantasy baseball players) that the Rockies manager doesn't like Fowler ( and certain other players ) and seems to sit him more than most teams sit their starters.

Because the Rockies organization has just about no pitchers. The majors are empty, and their minors don't feature many compelling arms and lack depth. Colorado is pretty much the last choice for free agent pitchers. So, if they don't have enough pitching in-house, they have to deal for it.

Oh, and to answer the main question of the thread:

Dexter Fowler
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

given the payroll situation I say, trade for Chris Denorfia.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

If Jocketty were to re-sign Ludwick or dealt for a bat like Choo or Willingham for LF and then either Fowler or Span, might the Reds consider moving Billy back to SS (especially if Cozart or Didi are a part of a deal)?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If Jocketty were to re-sign Ludwick or dealt for a bat like Choo or Willingham for LF and then either Fowler or Span, might the Reds consider moving Billy back to SS (especially if Cozart or Didi are a part of a deal)?
    I didn't think his defense was all that great, OF might be a better long term option.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

If Jocketty were to re-sign Ludwick or dealt for a bat like Choo or Willingham for LF and then either Fowler or Span for CF, might the Reds consider moving Billy back to SS (especially if Cozart or Didi are a part of a deal)?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If Jocketty were to re-sign Ludwick or dealt for a bat like Choo or Willingham for LF and then either Fowler or Span for CF, might the Reds consider moving Billy back to SS (especially if Cozart or Didi are a part of a deal)?
    Your post is like deja vu all over again.

I think management partially wants to move Hamilton to CF to reduce the wear and tear on his body that a SS takes, to maintain his basestealing speed. And also because defensively he's not that good of a SS, and they want to take advantage of his speed and athleticism in CF. And finally, the Reds have a glaring hole in CF since they are disgruntled with Stubbs offense.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Choo

Victorino 2 years 14 million, 3rd year option. Mentors Billy. You can keep your prospects. His BABIP was low last year, steals just as many bags as Stubbs. Best power/defense /speed combo on the market and could be had for less than I'm stating here. Doesn't hardly strike out. A true upgrade in CF. Allows you to keep Leake in the pen for the Aroldis project. Stubbs could even stick around to hit vs LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    there seems to be a perception (at least among fantasy baseball players) that the Rockies manager doesn't like Fowler ( and certain other players ) and seems to sit him more than most teams sit their starters.
    The Rockies just hired a new manager, so what Jim Tracy thought isn't really going to matter.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Victorino 2 years 14 million, 3rd year option. Mentors Billy. You can keep your prospects. His BABIP was low last year, steals just as many bags as Stubbs. Best power/defense /speed combo on the market and could be had for less than I'm stating here. Doesn't hardly strike out. A true upgrade in CF. Allows you to keep Leake in the pen for the Aroldis project. Stubbs could even stick around to hit vs LHP.
    You wouldn't keep Stubbs around to hit lefty pitching, because that's what Victorino does.

Victorino does not hit righty pitching particularly well, did poorly against them in 2012. He does most of his damage against lefties.

Lifetime Victorino has a .330 OBP and a .732 OPS against righties.
    Lifetime Victorino has a .373 OBP and a .881 OPS against lefties.

In 2012, Victorino had a .296 OPS and a .629 OPS against righty pitching (472 PAs).
    In 2012, Victorino had a .388 OBP and a .906 OPS against lefty pitching.

I think Victorino has a good chance to join the Reds. He would be viewed as the stopgap to Hamilton. But he's a high risk signing because if he OPSs .629 against righty pitching again, he won't help the offense much at all.

Personally, he would not be my choice.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-13-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Choo
    I agree.

My one name is not a CFer. The Reds are not going to drop meaningful dollars on a CFer. Billy Hamilton is their CFer soon. Whomever they acquire for CF, if anyone, will be a short term deal. I do not believe the rumors about Michael Bourn.

My one name is Choo to replace Ludwick in LF. He would automatically solve the righty/lefty imbalance problem, the OBP problem.

With Frazier, Phillips, and Cozart I think the Reds will have enough righty power. Choo adds much more than a Ludwick type for LF.

With Choo, the Reds could give CF to a journeyman, or even keep Stubbs/Heisey for a short time until Billy is ready.

Since Billy's wheels are his game, the Reds aren't going to wait very long to bring him up. He won't get faster as years go forward.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-13-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Turn Off Ads?