Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cochran

Cochran

I don't recall Tom Cochran ever being discussed on this board. And understandably. The guy was signed last summer as a 26-year-old lefty who had bounced around the Frontier League for four years, with unspectacular results. The Red Sox had given him two years and released him in 2004. But he appeared to find something in 2008, and was pretty decent last year for Carolina. Now, back in Carolina, he has an 0.75 ERA after two starts--12 innings with 5 hits and 15 K. Granted, he's 27, so his upside is probably very limited. But you have to like the recent results. Anybody know anything more about him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cochran

From a story from IndyWeek.com yesterday:

Mudcats manager David Bell: “I felt like the way we started the season (4-0) we wanted to keep it going. Great job from our pitching. Cochran did a great job. He’s durable and has good stuff. He can get left-handers and right-handers out. He has a good fastball that’s sneaky. I saw some good things offensively. Negron had a good night, and Griffin and Denove swung the bat well. There were a lot of good things.”
    Cochran: “I was getting ahead of the batters and throwing strikes. Denove and I had a pretty good game plan after I’d watched the last couple of nights from the stands. I was able to throw my pitches when I needed them. I kind of mixed it in and out with my cutter, slider, fastball and changeup tonight. I kind of got them on their front foot a little bit and backed them off with the fastball. They’re a great-hitting team and I had to keep mixing it up on them. The hitters put a couple of runs up early and that always helps a lot.”
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Good stuff, metz. Thanks. He sounds like he might be somewhat in the Leake mold; Leake Lite, perhaps.

The organization seems to be piling-up crafty lefthanders (what with Maloney, Wood, Fairel, Horst, Infante . . . ).

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Good stuff, metz. Thanks. He sounds like he might be somewhat in the Leake mold; Leake Lite, perhaps.

The organization seems to be piling-up crafty lefthanders (what with Maloney, Wood, Fairel, Horst, Infante . . . ).
    Lehr Lite.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?