Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I hate this team (Post your thoughts)....

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I hate this team (Post your thoughts)....

I really punted this draft -- was trying to watch the UC game and draft at the same time. I needed to take another RB, but couldn't pass Rivers. The picks that came after were: Jennings, McFadden, Grant and Barber -- which completely cleared the board of RBs other than Lynch (who's gonna sit 3 games on suspension) and left me picking yet another damned WR.

I feel a last place finish coming on:

1 (8). Chris Johnson RB TEN
    2. (13). Randy Moss WR NE
    3. (28). Phillip Rivers QB SD
    4. (33). Marques Colston WR NO
    5. (48). Marshawn Lynch RB BUF
    6. (53). Dwayne Bowe WR KC
    7. (68). Eddie Royal WR DEN
    8. (73). Knowshon Moreno RB DEN
    9. (88). Laveranues Coles WR CIN
    10. (93). Ray Rice RB BAL
    11. (108). Jeremy Shockeye TE NO
    12. (113). Rashard Mendenhall RB PIT
    13. (128). Earnest Graham RB TB
    14. (133). David Akers K PHI
    15. (148). Miami D

QB - Phillip Rivers
    RB - Chris Jonson
    RB - (Ray Rice) Marshawn Lynch
    WR - Randy Moss
    WR - Marques Colston
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    TE - Jeremy Shockeye
    K - David Akers
    D - Miami
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I hate this team (Post your thoughts)....

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I feel a last place finish coming on:
    Jumping the gun a little aren't ya? You've got some decent depth at wr to trade from if you have to and there's usually a chance that a rb emerges in the first few weeks that you can pick up if you're on top of things and a little lucky.

Having Ray Rice will go a long way in making up for the loss of Lynch. The wild card of the bunch may be Moreno as Denver always has a potent running game. You could deal one of your wideouts for another second tier back or scour the waiver wire after the first week to see if anyone gets hurt or hot.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Jumping the gun a little aren't ya? You've got some decent depth at wr to trade from if you have to and there's usually a chance that a rb emerges in the first few weeks that you can pick up if you're on top of things and a little lucky.
    I'd feel a lot better if I had one reliable back -- Johnson is always a threat to get touchdown-vultured by Lendale White, Lynch is gone for 3 games and who knows if the carries will be there when he gets back, Moreno needs to jump to the top of the depth chart, Rice is fighting for carries with McClain and McGahee, Graham has Caddy and Ward ahead of him on the depth chart.

It's why I despise having a late pick in fantasy football drafts: getting shut out from drafting an elite-back stings too much (all the worse in the modern "backfield-by-committee" NFL).

And really, nobody I play with puts any value on WRs -- people would rather scour the waiver wire for the next Steve Breaston or Lance Moore before they give up anything for a guy in a trade. FWIW, I agree -- WRs are too mercurial in their points production to really warrant giving up much for them.

We'll see what happens, I guess...

Ray Rice in the 10th was a steal.He didn't get past the 6th in any of my drafts and I've herd him going as high as the 2nd in some ppr leagues.Good chance he was drafted but if Fred Jackson is a FA I'd pick him up fast.Somehow he wasn't picked in one of my leagues so there's a chance.If you can do that I'd drop Graham.Looks like he's going to be the 3rd option in TB.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-08-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Stat geek...and proud

I kind of like your team. With the proliferation of RBBC, WR's and QBs have a lot more value these days. I'm hurting at RB right now too with P. Thomas out and Lynch suspended.

By way of update, I'm 3-1 on the season now -- I made an early move to jump on Kevin Walter when he was cut by an owner who needed an injury replacement for another player. He's provided me with two solid weeks of WR play that Eddie Royal and Dwayne Bowe were unable to.

I've been rotating defense to get whoever is playing Tampa or Cleveland -- so far it's been a winning strategy on that end.

On the running back side, Ray Rice has played very adequtely and produced solid yardage but few scores. Last week I started Mendenhall for the first time and he had his monster game. Chris Johnson has been Chris Johnson -- though his numbers would be a lot better if his team would stop getting throttled on defense.

Interested in knowing how this team turned out.....I am betting playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    Interested in knowing how this team turned out.....I am betting playoffs
    Ended up leading my league in points, but going 9-4. Through a couple small trades, I ended up with this as my everyday lineup:

QB: Phillip Rivers
    WR: Randy Moss
    WR: Marques Colston
    WR: Anquan Boldin (bought low a few weeks back)
    RB: Chris Johnson
    RB: Ray Rice
    TE: Brent Celek (traded for Dwayne Bowe pre-suspension)
    K: David Akers
    DEF: Arizona / Denver

BN: Rashard Mendenhall
    BN: Jeremy Maclin
    BN: Knownshon Moreno
    BN: Vince Young (insurance in case Rivers starts to sit during playoffs)
    BN: Jeremy Shockey

I'm in the playoffs as a #2 seed in a 10 team league. Keep your fingers crossed for me -- a win could pay for my trip to the Sugar Bowl.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Just opened this thread.

Your team is loaded.

A few busts (Lynch, Bowe, and Royal), but overall a very solid draft with great depth at RB.

I had #8 as well and took Brees (QB-heavy league/6 pts per TD) and then took Gore at #13. Gore has had two good weeks, but other than that has been a disappointment.

My best acquisitions have been waiver claims. Vernon Davis and Sydney Rice. Of course, starting out 1-7 helped me to land them. Then, of course, I go on a 5-game winning streak when it's too late (6-7).

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

CE, very impressive. Like you, I hated my team, threw in the towel by week 2 (in my head) but then led the league in scoring. Still alive in the playoffs, went 10-4, which was disappointing considering I had the lowest points against me as well.

On draft day this did not feel good:

Tom Brady
    Ryan Grant
    Cedric Benson
    Jamaal Charles
    Randy Moss
    Vincent Jackson
    Antonio Gates
    Rob Bironas
    Arizona Defense

Ended up being a stud filled lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    CE, very impressive. Like you, I hated my team, threw in the towel by week 2 (in my head) but then led the league in scoring. Still alive in the playoffs, went 10-4, which was disappointing considering I had the lowest points against me as well.

On draft day this did not feel good:

Tom Brady
    Ryan Grant
    Cedric Benson
    Jamaal Charles
    Randy Moss
    Vincent Jackson
    Antonio Gates
    Rob Bironas
    Arizona Defense

Ended up being a stud filled lineup.
    The joy of head-to-head fantasy sports. Even if you hate your team there's always a chance if you get in the playoffs.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

And win. $350 went a long way to paying for my trip to New Orleans!

Turn Off Ads?