Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do you use the same razor blade?

How long do you use the same razor blade?

For a long time, I have changed my razor every Sunday morning. I'm not sure how I came to that practice, but it has gone on for over thirty years. Now, I am questioning that logic.

For twenty something years I used an Atra razor. I stopped using it a few years ago. I'm not really sure why now, but I think maybe Walmart stopped carrying it. After that, I used a variety if disposable razors. I can't really remember the exact names but maybe Bic Comfort and Schick ST2 or 3.

This past week I used a Schick Hydro 3 because my wife got the razor free (or close to it) with a coupon. It is a great shave, but how long can I use the blade cartridge? It has been a week, and the blades seems like they could go some more.

At $8.99 (I'm guessing here) for a package of replacement blades, it might be wise to develop a new pattern for replacement. I have never discussed this with anyone else, but what do you people do?
    Last edited by Spitball; 10-09-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How long do you use the same razor blade?

I usually swap weekly, but I keep hearing if you dry the blades they last forever.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I find that keeping them dry increases the life of them, but not by too much. Maybe an extra few shaves. I've heard, but never tried, that using them on denim jeans helps reform the blades.

Are you a daily shaver or every few days? I usually use my razor [similar to yours, but not quite the same] only about twice a week and do touch up shaves in between with my electric the rest of the week. With that method I will typically get a month or more out of my blades.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I use the Gillette Mach whatever power razors. They're expensive and they come in packs of 4. They cost about $14. I use them forever though. I would say I use them for at least 4 months, rotating every day, and have no problems with cuts or burns. They're incredible really. I just wait forever to buy the next 4-pack.

BTW, the power option is definitely the way to go. It provides a much better shaving experience.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

The only real solution to high-priced corporate blades (this is my occupy Wall Street moment), is to go back to your roots like I did and get yourself an old fashioned safety razor. After a week of adjustment the shave is just as close if closer and much cheaper! I bought a sampler pack of 100 blades from Amazon for $20. It's been over a year since my purchase, and I'm guessing I've got another two until I need to repurchase. I change out my blades every week or two depending on how often I shave. I also use mug soap for the lather, which cost about $5 and lasts around 4-5 months. The initial cost of the razor and a brush (if you go totally wet shaver, which I recommend) is the expensive part, but it's paid off quickly considering the ridiculous cost of Gillette disposables.

So I say....Declare your independence! Be a wet shaver! It's cheaper (unless you buy really expensive creams(the best of which make shaving a joy)) and it's less waste, and lets face it, it's sexier. Go here for more info.
    Or here.
    Last edited by Spazzrico; 10-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.

I've got a beard/mustache, which I keep trimmed up pretty tight, and only shave the remainder about every couple of days. I have the Gillette Mach3 and Fusion razors, and use a gel shaving cream. But I use the same blade for almost a month before changing.

I think it's different depending on what type of facial hair (coarseness) one has. Mine is probably a medium, while my Dad's was pretty heavy. He'd shave in the morning, and when he came home from work would already have what is called the 5 o'clock shadow. It takes me a couple of days to get the stubble.

I think what saves (extends) a blade is the prep beforehand - moisturizing, softening the skin. I do use a hot towel and let the shaving cream set for several minutes to penetrate and soften. And it does help.

I do what I can because the price of these replacement blades is simply ridiculous.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-10-2011 at 06:31 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I use the Gillette Mach whatever power razors. They're expensive and they come in packs of 4. They cost about $14. I use them forever though. I would say I use them for at least 4 months, rotating every day, and have no problems with cuts or burns. They're incredible really. I just wait forever to buy the next 4-pack.

BTW, the power option is definitely the way to go. It provides a much better shaving experience.
    Yup. I bought 8 or 10 blades and they lasted me well over a year.

I think I use mine for at least a month before changing. Maybe longer. It's not till I go "man, this thing doesn't work very well" do I change. I currently use the Gillette Fusion (or whatever one it is that has 80 bazillion blades on it). I shave after I get out of the shower so my beard is pretty softened up. I shave 5-6 days a week (never on Saturday, sometimes skip Sunday, depends if we go to church or not).

For the longest time, I used the old-fashioned safety razor that I stole out of my dad's bathroom back in the dark ages. I hacked away at my face for like 25 years with that thing. I finally graduated to a Trac II that I used for probably another 10 years.

I finally started watching my wife and daughters use all kinds of exotic Venus $$$ blades and spend a lot of money on them and I thought "what about me?" So I bought whatever the predecessor to the Fusion was and went "oh my GOD, these things really work!". Never went back.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Good topic! I started an experiment last year to see just how long I could go using the same razor. I started with my Fusion razor and a four pack of cartridges. From the research I did I learned that in theory you should be able to use the same razor indefinitely as long as you keep it from rusting.

So to do this I stapled a two foot long piece of denim to the hand towel rack next to the sink, it doesn't look bad because the hand towel covers it. I use this to strop the razor before each use on the denim, this knocks the little bit of rust that does build up on the razor off. After each use I make sure to clean the razor thoroughly and dry it as much as possible this helps keep the razor from rusting in the first place. I have heard of some people keeping the razor in alcohol to keep it from rusting, but I don't have a good place to keep that so I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, I'm at just over a year now of doing this and I still have two cartridges in the refill pack and the one that is on the razor. I would still have three cartridges except I went on a business trip and I wasn't as thorough at cleaning the razor. All in all I would say you can comfortably get 3 - 4 months out of a good razor as long as you keep it dry, clean, and free of rust.
    Last edited by Caveman Techie; 10-10-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: *The eternal battle against typos
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    The only real solution to high-priced corporate blades (this is my occupy Wall Street moment), is to go back to your roots like I did and get yourself an old fashioned safety razor. After a week of adjustment the shave is just as close if closer and much cheaper! I bought a sampler pack of 100 blades from Amazon for $20. It's been over a year since my purchase, and I'm guessing I've got another two until I need to repurchase. I change out my blades every week or two depending on how often I shave. I also use mug soap for the lather, which cost about $5 and lasts around 4-5 months. The initial cost of the razor and a brush (if you go totally wet shaver, which I recommend) is the expensive part, but it's paid off quickly considering the ridiculous cost of Gillette disposables.

So I say....Declare your independence! Be a wet shaver! It's cheaper (unless you buy really expensive creams(the best of which make shaving a joy)) and it's less waste, and lets face it, it's sexier. Go here for more info.
    Or here.

I wouldn't use one of those things again if you pay me.

My blades typically last about 2 and a half to 3 months. I use the Gillette Mach III I think. Shave 5-6 times a week, with medium coarseness facial hair. Switching blades once a week would get expensive.

Does anyone ever use one of these?

Also, a somewhat related question..

I have fairly sensitive skin on my neck area below the jawline, where I have a lot of growth. I dont know if its the way the hair grows in, or how I shave it(I try to go with the grain, obviously), but I almost always get bumps(or burn?) a day or two later when the hair starts coming in again..

Any tips to avoid this?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Does anyone ever use one of these?

Also, a somewhat related question..

I have fairly sensitive skin on my neck area below the jawline, where I have a lot of growth. I dont know if its the way the hair grows in, or how I shave it(I try to go with the grain, obviously), but I almost always get bumps(or burn?) a day or two later when the hair starts coming in again..

Any tips to avoid this?
    Always shave after getting a shower the heat from the shower will help open the pores in your skin and help you get a closer shave. If you can't do that then take a wash cloth and soak it in hot water, get it as hot as you can then wring it out and wrap it around your face for a few minutes this will help do the same thing as a hot shower.

In the problem area's, put the shaving cream on those area's first and shave them last, this will give the most time for the shaving cream to soften the hair and make it easier to shave without having to go over and over the area which is usually what causes irritation on my skin.
    Last edited by Caveman Techie; 10-11-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    My blades typically last about 2 and a half to 3 months. I use the Gillette Mach III I think. Shave 5-6 times a week, with medium coarseness facial hair. Switching blades once a week would get expensive.
    Use the same thing and last about the same amount of time. I have a fairly heavy beard too. Mach III's are awesome just for the fact they last as long as they do.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?