Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule question for a slow day part 2...

Rule question for a slow day part 2...

Often you see where some pitcher is getting LIT UP, but the bull pen guys isn't ready yet, so the pitcher is allowed to stay in to continue pouring gas on the fire....is there a rule that would prevent the pitcher from just continuously stepping off the mound (maybe even throwing to first or wherever a runner is) to just buy time till the reliever is ready??? I mean, you see the pitching coach often come out to buy time, but hte ump comes and breaks it up...how do you prevent my suggestion???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rule question for a slow day part 2...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Often you see where some pitcher is getting LIT UP, but the bull pen guys isn't ready yet, so the pitcher is allowed to stay in to continue pouring gas on the fire....is there a rule that would prevent the pitcher from just continuously stepping off the mound (maybe even throwing to first or wherever a runner is) to just buy time till the reliever is ready??? I mean, you see the pitching coach often come out to buy time, but hte ump comes and breaks it up...how do you prevent my suggestion???
    If there is a runner on base, the umpire can call a Balk for delaying the game. I've never seen it, but it 'could' happen.

Delay of Game... 15 yard penalty, or a 10 second runoff if at the end of the game. Duh.....
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    If there is a runner on base, the umpire can call a Balk for delaying the game. I've never seen it, but it 'could' happen.
    That's a rule?

That's a rule?
    Yes, not often called, but a rule nonetheless.

If Jose Reyes is on 1st, it's not going to raise a red flag, but if you are throwing over repeatedly with Jim Thome on 1st, then you'd have a problem

Some cool/informative stuff straight from the rule book:

If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when --

(h) The pitcher unnecessarily delays the game;
    Rule 8.05(h) Comment: Rule 8.05(h) shall not apply when a warning is given pursuant to Rule 8.02(c) (which prohibits intentional delay of a game by throwing to fielders not in an attempt to put a runner out). If a pitcher is ejected pursuant to Rule 8.02(c) for continuing to delay the game, the penalty in Rule 8.05(h) shall also apply. Rule 8.04 (which sets a time limit for a pitcher to deliver the ball when the bases are unoccupied) applies only when there are no runners on base.

AND

The pitcher shall not --

(c) Intentionally delay the game by throwing the ball to players other then the catcher, when the batter is in position, except in an attempt to retire a runner.
    PENALTY: If, after warning by the umpire, such delaying action is repeated, the pitcher shall be removed from the game.

OK...here's my work around. Say Cueto is getting lit up (god forbid). But nobody is ready outta the pen...you have Cueto just delay. He gets thrown out...if new pitcher isnt ready, you insert Arroyo (or whoever pitched last night---somebody who aint gonna play). According to the rules, he has to face one batter---BUT if he just REFUSES to pitch...what can they do?? Eject him?? Fine--by then, LeCure is ready. :>)

OK...here's my work around. Say Cueto is getting lit up (god forbid). But nobody is ready outta the pen...you have Cueto just delay. He gets thrown out...if new pitcher isnt ready, you insert Arroyo (or whoever pitched last night---somebody who aint gonna play). According to the rules, he has to face one batter---BUT if he just REFUSES to pitch...what can they do?? Eject him?? Fine--by then, LeCure is ready. :>)

That's pretty dirty. At some point with these loopholes you get into the 'unwritten rules' and things that you just shouldn't do. I have a feeling that if the scenario you just laid out was used in a game - especially an important one - every one who wasn't a fan of that particular team would have a very good reason to hate them. Take the potential loss, it's not worth the ripple effect.

Not to mention you are doing all of this with the HOPE that LeCure or whoever can pitch no run ball (or very close to it) and that the Reds' bats can come alive to answer to whatever your starter gave up.

That's a pretty big reach.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mudshark View Post
    That's pretty dirty. At some point with these loopholes you get into the 'unwritten rules' and things that you just shouldn't do. I have a feeling that if the scenario you just laid out was used in a game - especially an important one - every one who wasn't a fan of that particular team would have a very good reason to hate them. Take the potential loss, it's not worth the ripple effect.

Not to mention you are doing all of this with the HOPE that LeCure or whoever can pitch no run ball (or very close to it) and that the Reds' bats can come alive to answer to whatever your starter gave up.

That's a pretty big reach.
    Oh, Im not saying you SHOULD do it...just that you COULD.

Oh, Im not saying you SHOULD do it...just that you COULD.
    Gotcha.

In that case, I'd love it if a team that I already disliked tried it...
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

I have a feeling the commissioner's office would get involved and fines and/or suspensions handed down to Cueto and Arroyo. Then if they caught wind that the team was complicit, there would be heavy fines and suspensions handed down to Dusty Baker. I don't think this is something Selig would shrug off as there are already complaints about game length.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I have a feeling the commissioner's office would get involved and fines and/or suspensions handed down to Cueto and Arroyo. Then if they caught wind that the team was complicit, there would be heavy fines and suspensions handed down to Dusty Baker. I don't think this is something Selig would shrug off as there are already complaints about game length.

I have no idea why the players would be fined if they were acting under the orders of the manager, which I am certain they would be. I could see the manager and the team get fined/suspended heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I have no idea why the players would be fined if they were acting under the orders of the manager, which I am certain they would be. I could see the manager and the team get fined/suspended heavily.
    If the manager asks a pitcher to throw at a batter's head, the pitcher is still ejected and suspended. Same thing

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    If the manager asks a pitcher to throw at a batter's head, the pitcher is still ejected and suspended. Same thing
    You equate throwing at a batter's head with delaying the game? Ejected for delaying? Sure. Suspended? I doubt it.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-31-2013 at 07:41 PM.

That's why I recommend bringing a stray cat into the stadium. When your pitcher needs to buy time, just let it loose on the field and help your cause.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 01-31-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Turn Off Ads?