Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could the Reds sign Jason Bay...

Re: Could the Reds sign Jason Bay...

I have not seen any evidence the Reds are going to spend anywhere near the kind of money it would take to sign Bay.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Mike Cameron would be an awesome addition of course.
    He strikes out a lot. :

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I want very little to do with a 37 year old PED enhanced player.
    Nonetheless, Cameron would be an awesome addition.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Nonetheless, I want nothing to do with Cameron.

Nonetheless, I want nothing to do with Cameron.
    He's been a 4 WAR player in 3 of the last 4 seasons and he's projected to be the same next year. He's not going to require a long term contract.

The Reds need to load up on all of the pariahs like Cameron that they can get their hands on....

Bay on the other hand is the prototype for the guy the Reds should get away from as far and as fast as they can...... We're talking strap a rocket on their back fast.... in fact, think of him has the opposite of Cameron (the guy they should be using rocket power to move closer to).
    Last edited by jojo; 11-10-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If Cameron is able to continue what he's done, I agree wholeheartedly he would be a solid pick-up. However, I do have concerns that we're about to see a rapid decline in his skills, given his age and history. I think it's something of a risk, though I have no qualms about his talent.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

High five!

He's been a 4 WAR player in 3 of the last 4 seasons and he's projected to be the same next year. He's not going to require a long term contract.

The Reds need to load up on all of the pariahs like Cameron that they can get their hands on....

Bay on the other hand is the prototype for the guy the Reds should get away from as far and as fast as they can...... We're talking strap a rocket on their back fast.... in fact, think of him has the opposite of Cameron (the guy they should be using rocket power to move closer to).
    Of course, the Reds probably won't sign either one.

I wonder what it would take to sign Cameron though.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Of course, the Reds probably won't sign either one.

I wonder what it would take to sign Cameron though.
    I think you could drop the word "probably" from that first sentence. I really don't see the Reds signing an impact player this winter. Hopefully I'm wrong though. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised for a change.

How much of those 4 WAR's are due to his defense? He isn't the CF on the Reds coming into 2010, that is Stubbs job. How well does his bat play in LF? How much will it take to sign him? Is he worth the money playing 100 or so games in LF?

Sure I would much rather have Cameron than Taveras, but I just don't think Cameron comes here for that cheap considering he wont get regular time in CF. The fact that he will be 37 years old opening day 2010 is another reason I stay away from Cameron.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Cameron strikes me as the kind of guy that would sign with the Reds and then immediately fall into the toilet for the 2010 season.

But, that makes me more certain he'll be targeted, considering the Reds have been shockingly adept at finding and acquiring players who are about to fall off the cliff.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

How well does his bat play in LF?
    Better than Laynce Nix's?

How much will it take to sign him? Is he worth the money playing 100 or so games in LF?
    How serious are they about competing?

Sure I would much rather have Cameron than Taveras, but I just don't think Cameron comes here for that cheap considering he wont get regular time in CF. The fact that he will be 37 years old opening day 2010 is another reason I stay away from Cameron.
    On the other hand the fact that he's 37 and entering the "part time twilight of a pretty good player" portion of his career might be exactly why you could get him. He's not going to be a problem in left field. He's gonna look like a monster compared to the trash you've been sending out there. He's a familiar name associated with the "happy" 1999 team and that will appeal to part of your fanbase.

From Cameron's point of view, he can come to cincy and hit in that park half time. what's not to like?

It's an interesting match.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I like Cameron too, always have, was bummed when he was included in the Griffey deal.

But there are better ways to spend that $10M, which is what it would cost to get him.

1) There is risk involved. Projections are somewhat meaningless with 37 year olds. Odds are about 50/50 that he can maintain the same level of production next year. and there is a decent chance that his production falls of a cliff, or gets injured. Way too risky a bet with this payroll.

2) He doesn't fit here. This would mean moving Stubbs/Dickerson to LF, which lowers their overall value, or moving him to LF, which lowers his.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Better than Laynce Nix's?
    Not better than Gomes. Nix was a non roster invitee last season. Cameron would come in with a $5M+ dollar deal.

How serious are they about competing?
    If they are bringing in a veteran OF bat I would rather have Dye than Cameron. I think Dye brings in more offensive value to the club. With Stubbs if CF the Reds don't need a great LF glove, they need more of a bat.

On the other hand the fact that he's 37 and entering the "part time twilight of a pretty good player" portion of his career might be exactly why you could get him. He's not going to be a problem in left field. He's gonna look like a monster compared to the trash you've been sending out there. He's a familiar name associated with the "happy" 1999 team and that will appeal to part of your fanbase.

From Cameron's point of view, he can come to cincy and hit in that park half time. what's not to like?

It's an interesting match.
    I wouldn't spend the money with Cameron. I would rather them go after Dye if they are going that route. If not I would rather see them reinvest the money within the organization and run out a Gomes/Dickerson platoon.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think you could drop the word "probably" from that first sentence. I really don't see the Reds signing an impact player this winter. Hopefully I'm wrong though. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised for a change.
    It's almost Christmas, I love surprises!

High five!

If they are bringing in a veteran OF bat I would rather have Dye than Cameron. I think Dye brings in more offensive value to the club. With Stubbs if CF the Reds don't need a great LF glove, they need more of a bat.
    Baseball games aren't won by how many runs your team scores, they're won by scoring more runs than your opponent. Scoring 8 runs is nice but only so long as the other guy scores 7 or less.

I wouldn't spend the money with Cameron. I would rather them go after Dye if they are going that route. If not I would rather see them reinvest the money within the organization and run out a Gomes/Dickerson platoon.
    If I'm reading my WAR figures correctly, over the last TWO years, Cameron has been worth more than Dye has in his entire career.

Turn Off Ads?