Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dave Cameron: Reds should go big or go home

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dave Cameron: Reds should go big or go home

Nice piece from Dave Cameron on the Reds. He thinks they should go after Jose Reyes or a J.J. Hardy/Jeremy Guthrie package.

No team in baseball, however, is in a better position to make a blockbuster, season-altering trade than the Reds. The Reds have more talent in Triple-A than several teams do in the Majors, and they have depth on the Major League roster they can move as well. Having multiple interesting young players at every position is nice, but it’s time for the Reds to turn some of that excess into the best big league player(s) they can acquire.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ig-or-go-home/

Agree about the surplus of talent and ability to get a trade done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dave Cameron: Reds should go big or go home

am i the only 1 that does not want Jeremy Guthrie?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    am i the only 1 that does not want Jeremy Guthrie?
    You can add me to that list as well.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

I think we should stand pat. I still enjoy 80-85 win teams, what's so good about making the playoffs anyway?

I don't see a rental Reyes worth the farm.Don't see Hardy and Guthrie that superior for rentals.A TOR is different.

Big Flashy trades are a thing of the past and not the way Walt conducts business. Remember we are building for the future...

The way I view Cameron's thoughts on prospects needed to get Reyes.It would be like trading Cliff Lee and boot for Reyes.I think Texas gave a little less for Lee.I don't see the comparison,especially the players involved,Reyes is no Cliff Lee value.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 06-24-2011 at 05:58 PM.

i pretty much want kemp or eithier or no one.

I don't want a rental position player unless cheap enough,not the kind of trades being discussed.

I'm on the bus for NOT bringing in Guthrie, we already have a bunch of that type pitcher and to boot his addition doesn't put us past anyone as WS or even playoff contenders. We need a dominating TOR starter to match up with the likes of (NL) Lincecum, Halladay, Greinke, Kennedy, Jimenez and Jurjens (AL)Sabbathia, Lester, Price, Verlander or King Felix.

Realistically this team has many flaws that need addressed. 4th place is where it belongs right now. Cincinnati may have a top heavy farm system but realistically could that talent be mined to bring in solid upgrades at ALL the big club's weaknesses SS, LF, 3B and a TOR starter, not likely.

Right now there are options to promote our homegrown talent Cozart, Sappelt and Frazier, the front office should look there before blowing a bunch of young talent on a rental player that they have no chance in extending past October or another innings eater that's on the backside of a career with middle to backend rotation stuff.

Are the Reds willing to take baby steps this year to open a larger window in the future to a very competitive team or is it win at all cost this year depleting your resources for many years. I'm in the baby step group if Cincinnati is willing to pawn off some of it's talent I want it to bring in guys we can control for many years with huge upside.

From the outside JJ Hardy does peak my interest but I don't want Guthrie tagging along with him, instead Zach Britton is the pitcher I'd want from Baltimore. No he's not going to make us an immediate WS contender but it will give us a solid lefty for now and future and a better top 3 starters come playoff time in Cueto, Britton and Bailey.

Why aren't we talking about R. Hernandez and maybe a minor leaguer for a TOR, Hernandez is playing very well and Mezarosco is ready, maybe 2 minor leaguers?

R. Hernandez has value especially for the SF Giants and a few other teams that really need a good backstop.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioballplayer View Post
    Why aren't we talking about R. Hernandez and maybe a minor leaguer for a TOR, Hernandez is playing very well and Mezarosco is ready, maybe 2 minor leaguers?

R. Hernandez has value especially for the SF Giants and a few other teams that really need a good backstop.
    I don't think anybody's going to bite,it will take a lot more.I posted this in another thread,probably belongs here.I would trade Chapman,Wood,Grandal,Horst,and others for Kershaw,if I could sign him long term.Try a package deal with others to include Furcal.Almost whatever it took to do this deal,if I could sign Furcal for 2 or 3 yrs reasonably.Add Alonso and others and try to include Kemp.Time to unload the farm for this deal.I would hate to lose Sappelt before we see what he can do in majors, but he's the only one.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 06-25-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Turn Off Ads?