Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: NFL CBA Discussion

Re: NFL CBA Discussion

This is where the numbers stand as of today:

Players will receive 48 percent of all revenues, without the owners taking a $1 billion cut off the top of a $9 billion revenue model. The players' share will never dip below 46.5 percent. Under the old CBA, the players received 60 percent, not including a $1 billion "expense credit" for the owners off the top.
    Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1Py3V9CR2

Here's the math:

Under this CBA, owners payout 48% of $9Bill= $4.32Bill...divided by 32 teams equals a salary cap of $135M per team.

Under the old CBA, the owners took $1B off the top leaving a pool of $8B x 60%= $4.8B...divided by 32 teams= salary cap of $150M.

So each team is saving $15M per year under this plan. Will that be enough for the owners? I also have read that the salary floor will be quite high, like maybe 90% of the cap which will piss off owners like Mike Brown

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, if everyone agrees on a new CBA within the next couple of weeks, will you, as a fan, have any hard feelings towards the owners and/or players? There have been no games lost exhibition or otherwise, no training camp lost and the draft wasn't affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So, if everyone agrees on a new CBA within the next couple of weeks, will you, as a fan, have any hard feelings towards the owners and/or players? There have been no games lost exhibition or otherwise, no training camp lost and the draft wasn't affected.
    No.I just want some NFL football this fall.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Not me. A certain amount of business conflict is inevitable at a table with nine billion dollars on it. I've been following along, but until all of this takes away actual entertainment product -- and no, I don't count OTAs -- then it's no harm, no foul.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

No hard feelings at all. It's all part of business

If this is the deal, and they don't go to 18 games, I'm all for it. Although they didn't mention the revenue sharing on non-tv revenue, but I guess maybe that's only an internal thing with owners. And they should fight for stronger rookie salaries limit which helps veterans because they are required to spend the money based on the salary floor.

No hard feelings. Just continued cynical and jaded thoughts.

Its always all about the green.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I also have read that the salary floor will be quite high, like maybe 90% of the cap which will piss off owners like Mike Brown
    As a Bengals fan, I have to say this would be awesome. Not that they'll be better, I'm sure they'll just waste the money on Antonio Bryants, but still.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    As a Bengals fan, I have to say this would be awesome. Not that they'll be better, I'm sure they'll just waste the money on Antonio Bryants, but still.
    Brown will just find other areas to skimp on.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Nope. Just get Josh Freeman, LeGarrette Blount and Mike Williams back on the field in Tampa.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Im hoping this drags on for a few more weeks and the Bengals lost 1 home preseason game. I despise paying full ticket price for a home preseason game. Heck I am beginning to regret renewing my tickets this season.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Im hoping this drags on for a few more weeks and the Bengals lost 1 home preseason game. I despise paying full ticket price for a home preseason game. Heck I am beginning to regret renewing my tickets this season.

Just beginning to regret Bengals season tickets?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    According to ESPN talks have broken off between the owners and players and the issue is how to set the salary cap. Apparently there is about $9billion in revenue and the players want the cap set at 50% of that or $140mill per team. The owners want a $2B exemption and then divide the remaining $7mill at 50% which leads to $109mill per team. The cap was $130m in 2009.

No way in hell the players will go from a $130mill cap in 2009 to a $109mill cap in 2011. Sounds like the owners are really playing hardball here.

Mort this morning on ESPN said that the owners have an incentive to carry this beyond March 4th when the CBA expires. Apparently if that happens, the federal judge will lose his jurisdiction of this case and he has given some rulings unfavorable to the owners thus they'd like to take their chances with someone else.

If this is really where this thing stands, it's plain to see that it's going to take a long time to iron this out. I will say this, the owners aren't going through the trouble to re-open this CBA to only get the same deal as last year. I think we can count on the $130M cap going down in 2011.
    Let's take this thread full circle. My original thoughts have proven to be right on the money:

A 2011 salary cap of $120 million and a rookie wage system, which was seen by sources familiar with the process as the last remaining major hurdle to a deal, have both been agreed to, sources told ESPN.

Compromises to the proposed $120 million salary cap have been made to help teams who have lower revenue streams, according to sources.

The NFL and its players agreed on Thursday night to a $120 million cap with players agreeing to a team minimum cash payroll of 89 percent of the cap as long as the league-wide cash guarantee is 99 percent of the cap, sources said. For example, the Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills or Jacksonville Jaguars would be required to have a minimum cash payroll of $106.8 million in 2011. If they fail to reach that level by the end of the season, they would distribute the difference to the players on team at the end of the season.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...ve-free-agency

They screwed around up until the 11th hour but in the end the owners got what they wanted. The salary cap will be less this year than it was two yrs ago and no games will likely be lost. Let's play some football

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Deal now being stalled by a few factors -- not the least of which is a cash grab by Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson (two of the named plaintiffs in the anti-trust lawsuit) who feel they're somehow entitled to a little bit off the top in exchange for signing a few court papers on behalf of the NFLPA.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Apparently this is not quite over. The owners voted 31-0 to approve the new agreement (Oakland substained). But the players apparently still don't like parts of the deal and so far have not voted for it.

Turn Off Ads?