Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The biggest problem Paterno has is being a part of a clear coverup.
    How is it a coverup if he reported it to his superiors?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Sounds to me that if this guy did his job then we wouldn't have this whole mess at PSU.

If the DA decided not to prosecute the case doesn't that mean that the reporting went through the proper channels? Am I missing something?
    Too bad he isn't around to connect the dots. I see what you're saying though, and if he got the information then yeah it had to have been passed along. His disappearance raises a lot of questions... Was he killed? Was he paid to disappear?

I really dunno, but it doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No. Paterno reported it to his boss. Not to the police. That is what he should have done when he heard about it. Anything besides that, or going out and beating the guy absolutely senseless, then calling the police, is "doing it wrong".
    I never said he reported it to the police. He reported it to his boss and then it was up to his boss to handle it. The fact they didn't is why we're talking about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    When faced with the knowledge that one of his subordinates raped a child in the Penn State locker room, there's nothing to decide...
    Was it a subordinate? I thought this guy was not a part of the football team in any way at the time

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Here is the difference.... one of them is illegal. What the players at Ohio State did was not illegal, at all. It simply broke very stupid rules set up by a private organization. One was illegal and reprehensible. One was the breaking of a stupid rule by a private organization. One is illegal. One is askin to making a photocopy of your butt on the copy machine at work. To suggest that reporting both to your boss is the same thing is ignoring what happened. One broke the law. You may report that to your boss, but you also need to report that to the authorities.
    Why is Paterno the one who's responsible for reporting it to the authorities? Why not everyone who that grad asst told? I'm not hearing about his Dad, wife or anyone else losing their jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Oh wonderful. Just what we need. More lawsuits...
    So you don't believe in anyone filing a law suit over anything because there are too many lawsuits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Why is Paterno the one who's responsible for reporting it to the authorities? Why not everyone who that grad asst told? I'm not hearing about his Dad, wife or anyone else losing their jobs?
    They should have to. Somebody should have. Joe Paterno has 409 wins and is the face of that university. That is why he is being talked about, but he doesn't have any more or less blame than the others except for maybe being in a position of power.

SOMEONE was responsible for reporting it. And NOBODY did. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on the type of man you are from my time on here the last several years. And I do believe that if you saw this happen with your own eyes, or were told by someone else, that you would've taken the proper steps and contacted authorities if the people above you didn't handle it in such a manner.

Paterno was part of a coverup, and I think that's an accurate description of the situation. They kept the lid on the fact that Sandusky was a child molestor. Whether Paterno did that knowingly or not, I don't know.

Everyone failed in this scenario. I don't think that Paterno is a bad man. But he made a horrendous mistake, and as a man in a position of authority, he deserves to lose his job for this.

I see what you're saying about tearing the man apart, making it a witch hunt. I feel much the same way. Paterno isn't the devil here. But I disagree with you on Paterno's responsibility.

How is it a coverup if he reported it to his superiors?
    Because when his superiors decided all they needed to do was ban him from bringing kids on campus, he should have known better. He was complicit, if not involved in the cover up.

His job should be the least of his worries.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

There should have been a line at the desk seargent's window....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So you don't believe in anyone filing a law suit over anything because there are too many lawsuits?
    I believe there are far too many lawsuits and suing Paterno over this is totally uncalled for

I believe there are far too many lawsuits and suing Paterno over this is totally uncalled for
    I believe scenarios like this is exactly the purpose of law suits...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    They should have to. Somebody should have. Joe Paterno has 409 wins and is the face of that university. That is why he is being talked about, but he doesn't have any more or less blame than the others except for maybe being in a position of power.
    The quest for blood here is incredible. Some of you folks want mass firings and even that's not enough for others. They want the entire football season cancelled so there are thousands more victims to this mess.

I agree with Paterno, this is a tragedy, in hindsight somethings should have been done differently. Let's fire the AD, the President, the coach (at the end of the year) and let's move on. Why make the more people suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Because when his superiors decided all they needed to do was ban him from bringing kids on campus, he should have known better. He was complicit, if not involved in the cover up.

His job should be the least of his worries.
    He wasn't complicit unless he was in on those decisions.

Joe Paterno should be fired imediately. What he did/didn't do was both immoral and irresponsible.

Penn State should not allow him to coach another game, come on campus or represent the university in any way. His lack of a moral compass and responsibility is totally reprehensible.

Greg Doyal wrote a opinion pice on cbssports that I totally agree with: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...should-be-done

As I post this it's almost 1:30 PM PST. JoePa should be gone by the time hits 2:00 PM PST.

The fact is: Joe should go. NOW

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Turn Off Ads?