Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanigan

Hanigan

Rob Neyer with a cool little blurb about Ryan Hannigan in his blog today:

• Does anyone know why it's taken Reds catcher Ryan Hanigan so long to get a real shot in the majors? The guy's got a .383 career on-base percentage in the minors -- including .376 in Triple-A -- and if last night's performance against the Dodgers is any indication, he's got a killer throwing arm. Hanigan turns 29 in a few weeks, and don't be surprised if he's still playing when he's 39.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hanigan

And he has 8 RBI's. Leaving out that part.

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    He didn't say he was a perfect player or even an all-star, now did he?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The guy has 50 hits in 156 AB's.........and he's drawn 24 walks. You can't use such a skewed stat as RBI's against the guy. This team is stinking up the League in run production. All Hanigan can do is get on base......it's not his fault that Dusty has been hitting him downorder and there's nobody on base when he comes up.

And last night's game was a Catcher's defensive clinic.

Yeah...............................I'm a 29 fan.

Hanigan is a welcome change from the usual suspects like Corky Miller and Javy Valentine: a "backup" catcher who outperforms the high priced guy.

Ryan Hannigan is looking like the exact thing Id look for in a catcher. have an OBP and be good behind the plate. I'm tired of seeing these power threats with sub .300 OBPs and terrible throwing arms.

Hes exactly what this team needs. A heavy dose of OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    The guy has 50 hits in 156 AB's.........and he's drawn 24 walks. You can't use such a skewed stat as RBI's against the guy. This team is stinking up the League in run production. All Hanigan can do is get on base......it's not his fault that Dusty has been hitting him downorder and there's nobody on base when he comes up.

And last night's game was a Catcher's defensive clinic.

Yeah...............................I'm a 29 fan.
    I like Hanigan and hope he pans out but the reason he has so few RBI's is because he can't get a hit with runners on base, and he gets even worse with RISP (small sample size). Having said that, I am willing to give the guy a chance to prove that he can actually hit over .200 with RISP.

Id take a .360 obp from my catcher every day of hte week.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    ....and when you consider his OBP in AAA was higher than that and that his lifetime minor league OBP was that high, too, there is no surprise here.

The only surprise is that it took two injuries for him to get playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I like the OBP as well, but if he gets 600 at bats and is still this bad with RISP, I think we will all be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    I like the OBP as well, but if he gets 600 at bats and is still this bad with RISP, I think we will all be disappointed.
    He who bats 8th does not get pitches to hit w/ RISP. He gets pitched around.

I can't explain in words how mad I'll be if Hanigan does keep it up and then Ramon comes back to take over the everyday catching job.I'd likely loose my posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He who bats 8th does not get pitches to hit w/ RISP. He gets pitched around.
    Then he should walk more especially last night when he struck out with RISP and Micah Owings on deck. I understand that a guy in that position depending on the number of outs and the time of the game is going to get pitched around, but I seriously doubt that is pathetic average wit RISP simply comes down to he never gets a pitch to hit. I hope that he turns it around and I like his OBP, but he cannot continue to be this bad with RISP and I think he will turn it around.

give me a line up of people who hit with RISP and suck the rest of the time and Ill show you a terrible team.

Now give me a team that is actually good at the plate outside of a cross section of their ABs and Ill show you a good team.

Turn Off Ads?