Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Awards

MLB Awards

Frazier, Harper, and Miley finalists for ROY

Baker, Bochy, and Davey Johnson finalists for Manager of year

Cueto is not a finalists for NL Cy Young

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Awards

I think Frazier deserves ROY over Harper but I think Harper will win and I think Bochy wins manager of the year.

who are the finalist for cy young?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    who are the finalist for cy young?
    R.A. Dickey Gio Gonzalez Clayton Kershaw

If Harper does win, it will be a sad time for baseball. He has no business winning ROY because, in reality, everybody knows he was not the best rookie this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    If Harper does win, it will be a sad time for baseball. He has no business winning ROY because, in reality, everybody knows he was not the best rookie this year.
    I'm guessing you're in favor of Miley, then? I would agree with you.

If you think it belongs to Frazier, though, and by such a large margin that it would be a "sad time for baseball" if Harper won, then I'd say you're dead wrong. Harper had a better slash line, better walk and strikeout rates, and played better defense at premium positions. Frazier had a bit of an edge in power and there's the added bonus of how huge it was for him to cover Rolen and Votto, but don't think that Harper winning would be based all on hype. He turned in a great rookie season.

The case I make for Harper is that I don't think any other player could have put up numbers like him if they were 19-20 years old

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    Harper was better than Todd and over 5 years younger.

Age isn't a qualification for Rookie-of-the-Year.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Age isn't a qualification for Rookie-of-the-Year.
    Not a qualification but no doubt a factor especially when the far younger guy (6 years and 8 months) had the better year.

OPS+
    119 in 597 PA for BH with a 4.9 WAR
    115 in 465 PA for TF with a 2.8 WAR

Not only did Harper do better over 132 more PA he also swiped more bags and finished 5th in the NL in runs scored despite spending the first 20 games in the minors. He also had the teenage record for most XBH, had the 3rd best OPS as a teenager and had the 2nd most HR. He became the first teen to hit a triple in the playoffs and the second-youngest player ever to Homer in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Not a qualification but no doubt a factor especially when the far younger guy (6 years and 8 months) had the better year.

OPS+
    119 in 597 PA for BH with a 4.9 WAR
    115 in 465 PA for TF with a 2.8 WAR

Not only did Harper do better over 132 more PA he also swiped more bags and finished 5th in the NL in runs scored despite spending the first 20 games in the minors. He also had the teenage record for most XBH, had the 3rd best OPS as a teenager and had the 2nd most HR. He became the first teen to hit a triple in the playoffs and the second-youngest player ever to Homer in the playoffs.
    It should be neither a qualification nor a factor. It is simply who had the better rookie season.

It should be neither a qualification nor a factor. It is simply who had the better rookie season.
    It always should be a factor an old rookie with previous MLB time hitting in the majors is nowhere near as impressive as a teenager who got rushed to the majors doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    It always should be a factor an old rookie with previous MLB time hitting in the majors is nowhere near as impressive as a teenager who got rushed to the majors doing it.
    For the last time, it is not a factor in determining the winner of the ROTY award. Go look at what the BBWA's criteria are. You won't find age mentioned anywhere. The award is not to determine which player will have the better career. It is simply judging which player had the better rookie season. If you want to start your own award and make age a criterion, have at it. But you are simply wrong.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

For the last time, it is not a factor in determining the winner of the ROTY award. Go look at what the BBWA's criteria are. You won't find age mentioned anywhere. The award is not to determine which player will have the better career. It is simply judging which player had the better rookie season. If you want to start your own award and make age a criterion, have at it. But you are simply wrong.
    I don't think that he is saying that it is in the criteria per se, just that it is in a round about way. We all know that offensive numbers aren't suppose to be figured in for Gold Gloves, but we all know it is. Also that whether you team makes the playoffs isn't criteria for MVP, but it is. Chill out...calm down...it's the offseason man...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I don't think that he is saying that it is in the criteria per se, just that it is in a round about way. We all know that offensive numbers aren't suppose to be figured in for Gold Gloves, but we all know it is. Also that whether you team makes the playoffs isn't criteria for MVP, but it is. Chill out...calm down...it's the offseason man...LOL
    I must be nearing the record for people on ignore.

Mister!!! Exclamation!!! Point!!! himself!!! telling!!! someone!!! to!!! chill!!! out!!!
    Last edited by texasdave; 11-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Turn Off Ads?