Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Taylor Trammell

Re: Taylor Trammell

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Geez, a lot of low expectation, loser mentality in here. How dare we expect more than a 243 373 343 716 4 hr and 55 ks from our top prospect.
    It’s not like 21 and 22 year olds are doing this in the majors for other teams.... oh wait, nvm
    I have always thought TT was overrated, but changing your opinion over a few months is absurd.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Really weird overreaction on this board with regards to Trammell. He's still posting a wRC+ of 118. His K% is up a tick, but so is his BB%. His power is down a touch, but it's never been his calling card. He's stealing bases at a better clip this year.

He's a 21-year-old making the biggest jump in his career. I don't think he was ever slotted as a future megawatt star (he doesn't seem to have the hit tool for it). He's doing just fine in Chattanooga. He'll be a contributor for the Reds at some point. Will he be a front-line guy? Hard to say, but as of right now he's learning how to adjust to talented pitching. This is all part of the development, and his stats this year don't suggest anything is off course.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-06-2019),757690 (06-04-2019),Benihana (06-04-2019),HammerTime (06-04-2019),Kc61 (06-04-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Really weird overreaction on this board with regards to Trammell. He's still posting a wRC+ of 118. His K% is up a tick, but so is his BB%. His power is down a touch, but it's never been his calling card. He's stealing bases at a better clip this year.

He's a 21-year-old making the biggest jump in his career. I don't think he was ever slotted as a future megawatt star (he doesn't seem to have the hit tool for it). He's doing just fine in Chattanooga. He'll be a contributor for the Reds at some point. Will he be a front-line guy? Hard to say, but as of right now he's learning how to adjust to talented pitching. This is all part of the development, and his stats this year don't suggest anything is off course.
    I guess I’m not really sure what Trammell is supposed to be at this point. I thought he might be Dexter Fowler type, able to handle CF for a few years, decent power combined with pretty good all around hitting and on base ability. Now he’s looking more like the Cubs version of Jason Heyward or something. He hasn’t had a good year in terms of power in a couple seasons now.

Maybe my expectations were just wrong, but the guy is like a top 20 prospect and I’m not really sure why or what he projects as.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I guess I’m not really sure what Trammell is supposed to be at this point. I thought he might be Dexter Fowler type, able to handle CF for a few years, decent power combined with pretty good all around hitting and on base ability. Now he’s looking more like the Cubs version of Jason Heyward or something. He hasn’t had a good year in terms of power in a couple seasons now.

Maybe my expectations were just wrong, but the guy is like a top 20 prospect and I’m not really sure why or what he projects as.
    I'm on the same page as you. I'm not entirely sure what he's going to be, but I think the Heyward comp. is a great one.

I think a lot of the Trammell enthusiasm can be traced back to the multi-sport star. It really gives wings to the imagination. There's a lot to like about his game. He'll take a walk. He'll steal bases. He's clearly an above average athlete, and he's got great size for a guy his age.

To my mind, the hit tool has always been the biggest question (along with the arm). He's always struck out a fair bit. Even in the early minors - granted he was really young - he struck out more than you'd like. I'll leave it to those that have seen him to determine whether that's contact issues, strike zone judgement or other. And I think there's the assumption that size will eventually equate to power. Heyward's a great example of a (really) big dude that never really developed the power expected.

But after the Futures game, he really saw some helium. I think the size and athleticism are undeniable, and he's put up numbers that suggest he's got good baseball skills. But as of yet, I think some of those skills are still developing, and I think that's why his numbers are down a bit as he adjusts to the better pitching of AA.

I'm a big fan of Trammell and remain confident he'll play for the Reds in the near future, but I think he's got further to go with his bat than the prospect rankings would let on.

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-04-2019)

This isn’t Tramm’s fault but part of the reason I am starting to be disappointed is that he was at a very high prospect value last offseason. The reds could have gotten and ace-type pitcher or middle of the order bat for Tramm. We may have missed that opportunity now.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This isn’t Tramm’s fault but part of the reason I am starting to be disappointed is that he was at a very high prospect value last offseason. The reds could have gotten and ace-type pitcher or middle of the order bat for Tramm. We may have missed that opportunity now.
    I don't think his value has decreased nearly as much as you think it may have.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

BillDoran (06-04-2019),cincyinco (06-09-2019)

He's played 55 games, and this slump accounts for a little more than a month of that, and people are acting like he's no longer a prospect. Relax guys. AA is the biggest jump outside of AAA to the majors. He needs to adjust, and he has the skill to do so. Give him time. He'll rake.

12. Likes:

cincyinco (06-09-2019),Edd Roush (06-05-2019),Tom Servo (06-04-2019),Tuff Nut (06-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

He is OPS’ing .709 as of this minute. That is not doing just fine for a top 20 prospect in my opinion. I’m kind of in between the 2 extremes in this case. He’s young enough to improve but I’m pretty disappointed in this season so far. Hopefully changes in the second half.

14. Likes:

Alabama (06-04-2019)

Everyone here who's losing their minds should go look at Royce Lewis. He is struggling even more so then Trammell and I'll bet the twins are not worried. He is 21 and is going to be fine. He may not be a star but he will be very good.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-04-2019)

I remember when we went through this when Winker started off even slower in AA, he had a sub .700 OPS this time in 2015. I never get why people let themselves get so down on a good prospect because of 100 PAs or whatever.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

cincyinco (06-09-2019),ochoa30 (06-04-2019),Sea Ray (06-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Carl Crawford (Rays version) was always the top comp for me. Jason’s Heyward maybe next, but more speed and less arm. Put me down in the not concerned/still a believer camp for Trammell.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-04-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    He's played 55 games, and this slump accounts for a little more than a month of that, and people are acting like he's no longer a prospect. Relax guys. AA is the biggest jump outside of AAA to the majors. He needs to adjust, and he has the skill to do so. Give him time. He'll rake.
    I don’t think anyone is even remotely writing him off.

We are allowed to post about how it’s starting to become alarming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I remember when we went through this when Winker started off even slower in AA, he had a sub .700 OPS this time in 2015. I never get why people let themselves get so down on a good prospect because of 100 PAs or whatever.
    To quote Assembly Hall:

And Jonathan India says hello.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    Everyone here who's losing their minds should go look at Royce Lewis. He is struggling even more so then Trammell and I'll bet the twins are not worried. He is 21 and is going to be fine. He may not be a star but he will be very good.

Who is losing their mind?

21. Likes:

Alabama (06-04-2019)

Could the Reds have gotten an ace for Tram last offseason?

Yes.

Could the Reds get an ace for Tram right now?

I doubt it.

I don’t think anyone is even remotely writing him off.

We are allowed to post about how it’s starting to become alarming.

Who is losing their mind?
    Next post...

Could the Reds have gotten an ace for Tram last offseason?

Yes.

Could the Reds get an ace for Tram right now?

I doubt it.
    ... yeah

And to answer your question, I don't think he's lost any trade value at all. Teams are smart enough to realize that every player has slumps. As long as he's physically fine, I doubt any minds have changed.

Next post...

... yeah

And to answer your question, I don't think he's lost any trade value at all. Teams are smart enough to realize that every player has slumps. As long as he's physically fine, I doubt any minds have changed.
    Lol, that’s an example of losing one’s mind? Nah

I am not writing him off in the slightest, he can regain value.

People were expecting him to be a consensus top 10-15 prospect at the halfway point this season. You can’t tell me with a straight face that’s going to happen now.

Turn Off Ads?