Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Brantley on borrowed time?

Jeff Brantley on borrowed time?

Everybody's been raving about Jeff Brantley. He's informative, has solid insights into what the pitcher and catcher are trying to accomplish. Better than that, he's opinionated, and not fearful of biting the hand that feeds him. Accolades have been coming his way from all sides. Lonnie Wheeler recently wrote that he initially thought his accent would interfere, but he's come around, especially in Brantley's fearless but accurate criticism of players not performing as advertised.
    So where's the problem?
    Anybody listening to Marty and him broadcasting together might notice that Brantley is also fearless about piping up whenever something strikes his fancy while Marty is doing his segment. You know the routine. Marty does a few innings, and in the past Steve or Joe do a few innings, and they usually do them pretty much alone, or with a minimum of feedback from the other announcer. Not so with Jeff. He's noticing stuff every inning. He's noticing and talking about it.
    Anyone else notice Marty's one word, kind of clipped rejoinders while Brantley was making one observation after another last night during the Twins game?
    Marty is known for many things, and paramount among those things is his massive ego. He has always run the show, and it's run his way. Despite all the hoopla and lovefest about Tom Brennaman joining Marty in the booth, I predict the Jeff Brantley addition will foul the nest. Maybe they'll be tension, maybe there won't be obvious signs of a clash, but I see Brantley moving on sooner, rather than later. You can't have too many cooks in a kitchen, and it's always been Marty's kitchen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Brantley on borrowed time?

Oh joy, another Marty is the devil thread.

But serriously, Brantley has some interesting insights but he does talk a lot. That is probably nerves or just not having developed a flow between himself and Marty. Marty has had some short responces but I didn't take that as irritation. I took that as "Jeff just said everything there is to say".

Even between Marty and Thom it will take some time for them to develop a natural rythem and get used to working with each other. It's only natural that there will be some awkard pauses and stepping on each other until they get used to working with each other.

As someone mentioned on a game thread (I believe last night), I'm looking forward to seeing things with my own eyes (perfect vision, I might add, as my insights will demonstrate ) to determine how I feel Brantley is doing...but I love the verbal sparring that will inevitably come between these 3 guys ...it will make for more entertaining broadcasts...if anything, I think the addition of Thom and Jeff will invigorate Marty and make him even more special as a broadcaster...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I'm just happy to hear most of the chatter during the game about baseball, instead of what color shirt someone is wearing or what golf course they played the night before!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Brantley brings too much to the table to be shown the door that quickly.

Marty's been used to having the floor pretty much to himself during his portion of the game broadcasts for over 3 decades. It's reasonable to expect awkward moments as he adjusts to working with an assertive booth-mate.
    /r/reds

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by knuckler View Post
    I'm just happy to hear most of the chatter during the game about baseball, instead of what color shirt someone is wearing or what golf course they played the night before!
    Ditto..
    Those stories from a "national newspaper" are a segment I wish they would drop also.

I enjoy Jeff's insights.

His voice drives me crazy.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Honestly, I think the broadcast is better with more intelligent banter and somebody that can stand up to Marty will bring out the best in Marty too. The bad boy was really just Marty's whipping boy. Where's the entertainment in that? For what it's worth, I like that Thom will disagree with dad too.

Quote Originally Posted by knuckler View Post
    Amen.
    Makes all the routine posts.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I enjoy Jeff's insights.

I like Brantley, too. He talks about pitching, a lot, which I very much enjoy.

When I close my eyes, and listen to Brantley, especially if he is speaking very slowly, he sounds just like...Hank Hill, the cartoon character.

I think he and Marty are going to be just fine together. He would not be there in the first place if Marty did not want him there.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I enjoy Jeff's insights.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one. His insights seem to be pretty reasonable so far, but it's hard to say when there's not much video evidence to go along with it. Fortunately, the way the contracts are going to play out Marty, JB and Thom will have time off form one another due to TV games and the like. It'll be nice for the adjustment phase and could help cut down on the alleged "frustration."
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

This is a much better situation than recent years with yes man Steve Stewart or an aging Joe Nuxhall where it largely was a one man broadcast for nine innings. I like seeing Marty challenged and there will be an adjustment period for all concerned, but I think the beneficiary of all this will be us fans. If it raises Marty's blood pressure a little, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is a much better situation than recent years with yes man Steve Stewart or an aging Joe Nuxhall where it largely was a one man broadcast for nine innings. I like seeing Marty challenged and there will be an adjustment period for all concerned, but I think the beneficiary of all this will be us fans. If it raises Marty's blood pressure a little, so be it.

I haven't heard them too much this spring but it seems like while Jeff has strong opinions, those opinions seem to jibe with Marty's. Now Marty may not like a strong personality in the booth with him but he should have known what he was getting when he gave the Reds his blessing to hire him. And as long as Marty and Jeff agree on these topics, I don't see a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is a much better situation than recent years with yes man Steve Stewart or an aging Joe Nuxhall where it largely was a one man broadcast for nine innings.
    My thoughts exactly! The one major complaint I have had about Reds radio broadcasts for the past 30-some years is that they were a monologue. It's much better with one doing play-by-play and the other doing commentary. Joe was not-so-great with pbp, but could have been excellent doing commentary. Instead, he did what he wasn't good at and never did what he could have been good at.

If Brantley is commenting while Marty is doing pbp, then .

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I haven't heard them too much this spring but it seems like while Jeff has strong opinions, those opinions seem to jibe with Marty's. Now Marty may not like a strong personality in the booth with him but he should have known what he was getting when he gave the Reds his blessing to hire him. And as long as Marty and Jeff agree on these topics, I don't see a problem.
    If anything it seems like Thom is disagreeing with Marty more than Brantley is.

Turn Off Ads?