Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Re: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My point is that Chapman is much more than just a 70 IP reliever and every GM understands that.
    He is a 70 IP reliever though that only comes in when the team has a lead. Personally I prefer devoting mid-market resources to the players that get you the lead.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Here's my question: Does Chapman really put butts in the seats? He pitches something like one every three games and has gone stretches of a week and a half without pitching. Now, being scheduled every fifth day, that's a different story. Or having a hitter who minus the occasional off day you will always see in the lineup. Hamilton will put butts in the seats when he becomes a starter. Chapman? Probably not, outside of his debut.
    Winning puts butts in the seats first and foremost.

But I definitely think there are a significant number of fans in every city who would come to more games hoping to see Chapman pitch. He's a player you tell you're grandkids would saw play.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

He's a player you tell you're grandkids would saw play.
    I just don't buy this. I will tell my kids I saw Mariano Rivera and Miguel Cabrera play. Chapman isn't even the best closer in the NL.

5. Likes:

Crumbley (12-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Phillies actively shopping Dominic Brown.

I'd check in on him.

Yeah he's mediocre defensively and bats lefty, but he put up very good numbers this year and is under cheap control for years.

I wonder what he would cost? Leake straight up?
    Brown's not a perfect fit but is a pretty good option for LF. A Ludwick/Brown LF platoon would be very productive and grade out neutral defensively.

I'm wondering if it is time to sell-high on Leake, with only 2 years of control left. Phillies are thinking the same with Brown, though he has 3 years left. I'd pull the trigger on that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Here's my question: Does Chapman really put butts in the seats? He pitches something like one every three games and has gone stretches of a week and a half without pitching. Now, being scheduled every fifth day, that's a different story. Or having a hitter who minus the occasional off day you will always see in the lineup. Hamilton will put butts in the seats when he becomes a starter. Chapman? Probably not, outside of his debut.
    I don't buy the idea of people sitting in the sun all day to watch five minutes of Chapman either, but he does have that superhuman aura that kids latch onto from what I've seen. I don't know if it's smart to shape your roster around things like that, but I can't help but think the Reds have piqued the interest of the younger generation better than most organizations just because of Chapman throwing flames in the ninth.

It's not just putting fans in the seats, it's about TV ratings. Chapman definitely attracts viewers, and that's where the real money is.

It's not just putting fans in the seats, it's about TV ratings. Chapman definitely attracts viewers, and that's where the real money is.
    Prove that Chapman attracts viewers. In my opinion winning attracts viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I just don't buy this. I will tell my kids I saw Mariano Rivera and Miguel Cabrera play. Chapman isn't even the best closer in the NL.
    Doesn't have to be. I still tell my kids and grandkids about seeing Ryne Duren pitch whenever baseball talk turns to fireballers. It's the celebrity of his fastball that makes him a draw - how he does is almost secondary from a "wow - I saw him" standpoint.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Winning attracts more viewers than any individual player.

If Chapman is valued highly by another organization, so much that they offer a true quality bat in a salary neutral trade, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

If you want to improve you sometimes have to roll the dice. Quality relievers can be found seemingly out of thin air. Quality hitters not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Winning attracts more viewers than any individual player.

If Chapman is valued highly by another organization, so much that they offer a true quality bat in a salary neutral trade, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

If you want to improve you sometimes have to roll the dice. Quality relievers can be found seemingly out of thin air. Quality hitters not so much.
    Quality relievers are hard to find, quality anything is hard to find at the MLB level. Arms like Chapman are near impossible to find. He ain't Jared Burton or Nick Masset.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-09-2013),Old school 1983 (12-09-2013)

Love AC, but if he can bring an all-star qyality cleanup or solid up grades at two other spots - do it. The back of the bullpen might not have the drama that AC brings, but they might do just as good a job

Bruce Levine is saying the Dodgers look like they're going to deal for David Price.

They're quickly becoming a very irritating team.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-09-2013),RiverRat13 (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Bruce Levine is saying the Dodgers look like they're going to deal for David Price.

They're quickly becoming a very irritating team.
    They've always been an irritating team. Couldn't stand 'em in the 70's, and I can't stand 'em now.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (12-09-2013),Old school 1983 (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    They've always been an irritating team. Couldn't stand 'em in the 70's, and I can't stand 'em now.
    True.

Seems like they took a break from that for a few years, though.

They call me "chef"

They are trying to push Grienke down to their fifth starter spot.

21. Likes:

wheels (12-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?