Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to TBS?

Haunted by walks

Whatever happened to TBS?

I was vaguely aware that TBS and TNT had changed some from their original focus, but it looks like TBS is showing a Phillies Marlins game instead of Braves. What's that about?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Whatever happened to TBS?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I was vaguely aware that TBS and TNT had changed some from their original focus, but it looks like TBS is showing a Phillies Marlins game instead of Braves. What's that about?
    TBS and WGN have both seeded the majority of their telecasts to cable sports channels. IN TBS's case they are no longer owned by Ted Turner and they cut a deal with MLB to be a Sunday game source. TBS WAS a "homegrown" station that seeded it's strength on bad Braves games and Andy Griffith shows, low cost and suck in the advertising dollars. Now TBS is an adult entertainment station, with shows like Family Guy and Sex in the City in the evening and Sports South in Atlanta carries the majority of the Braves games. Time marches on...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Here's a link to a couple of blog articles that quote a 9/30/07 Atlanta newspaper article on the occasion of the last Braves game on TBS:

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...raves_fans_rr/

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=11201

The newspaper article is no longer online.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    TBS and WGN have both seeded the majority of their telecasts to cable sports channels. IN TBS's case they are no longer owned by Ted Turner and they cut a deal with MLB to be a Sunday game source. TBS WAS a "homegrown" station that seeded it's strength on bad Braves games and Andy Griffith shows, low cost and suck in the advertising dollars. Now TBS is an adult entertainment station, with shows like Family Guy and Sex in the City in the evening and Sports South in Atlanta carries the majority of the Braves games. Time marches on...
    I miss the days when the TBS afternoon lineup was "Leave It To Beaver", "The Addams Family", "I Dream Of Jeannie", "Gilligan's Island", "The Brady Bunch", "Green Acres", "The Beverly Hillbillies", and "The Andy Griffith Show". Then the Braves game (especially if the Reds were playing). And on Saturday night, Georgia Championship Wrestling with Gordon Solie.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I miss the days when the TBS afternoon lineup was "Leave It To Beaver", "The Addams Family", "I Dream Of Jeannie", "Gilligan's Island", "The Brady Bunch", "Green Acres", "The Beverly Hillbillies", and "The Andy Griffith Show". Then the Braves game (especially if the Reds were playing). And on Saturday night, Georgia Championship Wrestling with Gordon Solie.
    3 Stooges in the morning before school as well

Hey, Cubb, check out this thread.

I remember that TBS would show 4-5 NASCAR races a year, even the Charlotte 600.

TBS would show Hawks basketball too.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Growing up in Iowa.....I got my fix for the Reds each year on WGN, TBS, TWIB, and the occasional Saturday game. USA network carried baseball for awhile on Wednesday (?) nights as well.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Haunted by walks

Sounds like there's a void in the Superstation market. What's Bill Tush doing these days? Maybe WRZN can run "The Baseball Bunch" in the afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I remember that TBS would show 4-5 NASCAR races a year, even the Charlotte 600.

TBS would show Hawks basketball too.
    When our cable in southeast Kentucky first put this station on the air it was known as WTCG. They showed every pro sports team in Atlanta,Braves,Hawks,Flames and a pro soccer team called the Chiefs. I think they may have even shown Falcon pre season games. I miss them being on every night. I know a lot people didn't like their announcers but I liked them as much as the Reds announcers and enjoyed listeing to them every night. Although the Braves weer horrible most years at the begining.

Who remembers watching Night Tracks on weekends?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I remember night tracks! Wow!

A lot of folks in my area now are Braves fans because of TBS. It's very funny, but I asked one of them why Braves and not Cubs, his response was along the lines of You've got to be kidding. lol I thought it was funny, cause at that time both teams were bad!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

TBS and WGN siphoned (poached) off a huge number of fans for the Braves and Cubs even in areas where there already were major league teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    TBS and WGN siphoned (poached) off a huge number of fans for the Braves and Cubs even in areas where there already were major league teams.
    I think for the most part they poached off the front running fans which is the poorest type of fan,IMO. I really didn't see that many Braves or Cubs fans until they became consistently good in the early 90's. Then there was a big increase, mainly, in Braves fans.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think for the most part they poached off the front running fans which is the poorest type of fan,IMO. I really didn't see that many Braves or Cubs fans until they became consistently good in the early 90's. Then there was a big increase, mainly, in Braves fans.

That may be but I also think they also got a lot of kids who could see the games all the time and grew up with 150 games a year beamed into their living rooms. I'm like VR and grew up with the occassional game on TBS and WGN. My parents didn't have cable and I would have to go to my grandparents 15 miles away to watch a Reds game if it was on TBS or the local stations weren't carrying the Cubs game. I could see how it could become real easy to be a Cubs and Braves fan.

But the problem is that they were showing their games in other teams' territories without compensating them.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

But the problem is that they were showing their games in other teams' territories without compensating them.
    Dick Wagner threatened to not let TBS plug their equipment in when they started the cable offerings in the late 70's. By 1985 there was a Dallas station and WGN and WOR, MLB finally pressured each station into distributing an eight million dollar fee to MLB. That's around 380 K per team without a superstation. meanwhile they were getting about 80 million in ad revenue and seeding their brand in Reds country.

Turn Off Ads?