Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I guess the question now becomes does PSU appeal the penalty, or fight it in the courts. Or decide to take it's medicine and move on. Personally I think they should move forward, as the court of public opinion would murder them if they decided to fight this.
    There's a tweet from the Harrisburg media stating that PSU won't appeal. For what that's worth right now.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah I just heard that as well. Most believe PSU is working with the NCAA on what the sanctions are which is why they won't appeal.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Cbsnews is reporting that tomorrow morning at 9 AM, the NCAA will announce "unprecedented" penalties on PSU. Death penalty perhaps? It's going to be an interesting day.

Also, Paterno statue was removed this morning.
    No to be cute, but death penalty has been done. Therefore it's precedented no?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

An excerpt from Dan Wetzel's latest.

Sources say the school will continue to field a team. However, it will deal with heavy scholarship losses over the next three-to-five years as well as a multiyear ban in postseason competition and multimillion dollar financial penalties.

The standard line rippling through college sports Sunday is that while Penn State will be spared the death penalty, the penalties will make them wish they weren't.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...-spanier-.html
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If the rumors on the punishment are correct, the Big Ten will have no choice: they will have to either suspend Penn State football from Big Ten play or kick the school out of the league entirely. It would be dangerous to send a team full of walk-ons to play football against Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If the rumors on the punishment are correct, the Big Ten will have no choice: they will have to either suspend Penn State football from Big Ten play or kick the school out of the league entirely. It would be dangerous to send a team full of walk-ons to play football against Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and the like.
    I think the choice of keeping PSU in the league is still in play, even if the rumors are true.

It will be interesting to see if once the penalties are announced, if the media focuses in on the league.

They can stay in the league, but there's no way they can play a Big Ten conference schedule without scholarship players. They'd lose by 100 points (if teams felt like beating them that bad), and their players would be dangerously physically overmatched.

They can stay in the league, but there's no way they can play a Big Ten conference schedule without scholarship players. They'd lose by 100 points (if teams felt like beating them that bad), and their players would be dangerously physically overmatched.
    I read that as saying they will have no scholarship players. I haven't seen that reported and find it hard to believe it will happen...we'll see.

There are rumors of a 4-5 year complete ban on giving scholarships. If the actual penalties are less severe, it could be that Penn State could field a team incapable of winning in the Big Ten but that wouldn't put its players in danger against the schedule. Like a bad Sun Belt team.

I wonder what the big 10+2 rules are regarding throwing someone out.
    Go Gators!

There are rumors of a 4-5 year complete ban on giving scholarships. If the actual penalties are less severe, it could be that Penn State could field a team incapable of winning in the Big Ten but that wouldn't put its players in danger against the schedule. Like a bad Sun Belt team.
    Pitt St might be able to beat the Nittany Lions in Happy Valley.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Maybe this has been said already but I was wondering what happens to the guys on scholarship now? Do they still have to sit out a year if they transfer? Even though the school deserves all the penalties they get the players don't deserve it.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Maybe this has been said already but I was wondering what happens to the guys on scholarship now? Do they still have to sit out a year if they transfer? Even though the school deserves all the penalties they get the players don't deserve it.
    As of now, I don't think there is any word on that..... but I will say this: The next time the NCAA does something right for a student athlete, it will probably be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    From what I have read the players will be allowed to transfer from Penn State to other schools and they won't have to wait to play for a year like usually happens when someone transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    From what I have read the players will be allowed to transfer from Penn State to other schools and they won't have to wait to play for a year like usually happens when someone transfers.
    This is my impression as well. I've actually wondered if Roof would be calling Auburn about some players given his ties. There is going to be a flurry of efforts by the PSU coaching staff to try and do their best for their scholarship players.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?