Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

According to CNN part of the penalties to be announced tomorrow is Penn State will be have to pay fines of over $30 million dollars

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    According to CNN part of the penalties to be announced tomorrow is Penn State will be have to pay fines of over $30 million dollars
    I sure hope that money goes to anti-child abuse organizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Word out of State College is that PSU will not appeal as they feel more damage will be done long term by continuing to keep this in the media, especially with the perjury trials coming up. The only thing up in the air is whether or not there will be a TV ban handed down. Also I am hearing the fine will be 60 million dollars.

I think the NCAA is moving to more of a Roger Goodel style of leadership in which the NCAA president will take a more hands on approach. I think the U should be very afraid.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll be really annoyed if the NCAA sanctions are merely scholarship reductions, a postseason ban and a $30 million dollar fine.

That's a slap on the wrist and a pocket-change fine for the worst sports scandal in as long as I can remember. USC suffered roughly the same penalty, and they're a favorite to win the national title in their first year "back" from punishment status.

The NCAA continues to be a total joke.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 07-22-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    From what I have read the players will be allowed to transfer from Penn State to other schools and they won't have to wait to play for a year like usually happens when someone transfers.
    It's still going to be tough for these kids, especially at this late date. Most progams are at 80 plus grants, and there won't be much room for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'll be really annoyed if the NCAA sanctions are merely scholarship reductions, a postseason ban and a $30 million dollar fine.

That's a slap on the wrist and a pocket-change fine for the worst sports scandal in as long as I can remember. USC suffered roughly the same penalty, and they're a favorite to win the national title in their first year "back" from punishment status.

The NCAA continues to be a total joke.
    How about we wait and see what the penalty is before we start throwing out "slap on the wrist". There have been rumors of 5+ year post season ban and possibly no scholarships offered for a period of time. The potential revenue loss coupled with a $30MM+ fine could be very severe.

Here's the letter to PSU:

http://www.psu.edu/ur/2011/NCAA.pdf
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    How about we wait and see what the penalty is before we start throwing out "slap on the wrist". There have been rumors of 5+ year post season ban and possibly no scholarships offered for a period of time. The potential revenue loss coupled with a $30MM+ fine could be very severe.
    Once sanctions are in place, players can bolt. This could be immediately devastating.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Penn State has a $1.8 BILLION endowment. $30M is pocket change that will be easily replaced as alums rally to the cause.

The scholarships issue will be key -- if they reduce scholarships, it is a slap on the wrist (as I said: USC has had "reduced" scholarships and a post-season ban but still managed to position itself as a NC contender in year 1 back). If they deny them the ability to hand out scholarships entirely, that's a different matter. But, I've yet to read any report that indicates that (outright loss of all scholarships) as a potential punishment.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Penn State is supposedly in a new era of transparency, yet the President (Erikson) cut this deal with the NCAA while keeping the board of trustees in the dark through the entire process.

As for the NCAA I think they knew they were on a slippery slope with sanctions for criminal matters, never before have they sanctioned any program for the bad behavior of a coach and athletic dept, and I think they felt they would lose on appeal based on how they have reacted to criminal behavior in the past. I would imagine both sides reached out to each other due to mounting public pressure to come up with a solution.

Not sure what people were looking for here as far as punishment goes, I think when we look back in 5 yrs or so these penalties and this scandal will have killed a program and it's university. It's not something that you can walk away from ever, and you shouldn't. Penn State is such a part of Pennsylvania it is OUR school something every person in PA can be proud of. This scandal is a big punch in the gut. And I think what you will find is more people like myself who disown the program, leaving only a loyal few clinging to fallen idols and watered down memories.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

so far the punishment is a $60 million dollar fine, a 4 year bowl ban, they vacate all wins from 1998 to 2011 and lose scholarships but I am not sure how many scholarships they are losing

90 scholarships over a 4 year period.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It will take at least 7-8 years for Penn State to be competitive again. That's no slap on the wrist.

Actually here are the details on the scholarships they are losing:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-dating-1998

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.
    And the $60 million must be paid to child sexual abuse programs or to victims.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Joe Reedy tweeted that Penn State may have avoided the actual death penalty punishment but they just got back to back lifetime sentences. That may be true after all is said and done. Wow.

Glad that the money is going to go to programs that help child sexual abuse victims.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?