Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA to Columbus?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

NBA to Columbus?

Im no NBA fan (stopped caring after the Bulls dynasty) but one bit of news excited me.

Mayor Coleman has been inquiring about a franchise either moving here or a new one.

I heard about Coleman contacting the Trailblazer's ownership about moving them here.

Imagine them drafting Oden then having them move to Columbus.

Anyone have any news about this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA to Columbus

I heard about Coleman contacting the Trailblazer's ownership about moving them here.
    That won't happen.

Don't know about the Blazers moving, but appearantly the Sonics are unhappy in Seattle. It sounds like Kansas City may be in the lead if Seattle's arena deal continues to fall through. OKC, St. Louis, Vegas, even Louisville have been mentioned.

But I've not heard Columbus... or Cincinnati.

I'm guessing here, but it seems like Paul Allen's (Blazers owner) ties to Portland and the Northwest, would keep the Blazers in Portland. But you never know.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I heard a lot about this last week. I heard it was the Sonics though, not the Blazers.

And David Stern has said there's no chance for another expansion team anytime soon.

Can't really see two NBA franchises in Ohio, unless one would happen to be Cincinnati.

Columbus does make sense in the NHL because there is only one team, and it is more of a crossroads.

I would venture to say that Oklahoma City will likely be the next team to get an NBA franchise. I would like to see Kentucky get one after the flirtation with the Grizzlies. The KFC Buckett for an arena sounded nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I don't see the market for an NBA team in Columbus.

I didn't see the market for an NHL team in Columbus.

I would say Oklahoma City or Louisville is next on the NBA hit parade.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The Blazers aren't going anywhere. Personally I think it's much more likely that the Grizzlies move again than anyone. Although I don't know what their arena lease situation is.
    School's out. What did you expect?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'm guessing here, but it seems like Paul Allen's (Blazers owner) ties to Portland and the Northwest, would keep the Blazers in Portland.
    That was my first thought, too.

Columbus is smart to focus on teams in the Western Conference. That's where the action is in the NBA.

I'm surprised that Mayor Coleman has time to do anything but get his wife straightened out. She's got some serious problems.
    /r/reds

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I would say Oklahoma City or Louisville is next on the NBA hit parade.
    Columbus has a fantastic NHL market. It was thought to be a good contender back in the Chill days. It was just a matter of timing. Now, to find good management...ugh.

Columbus isn't as small of a town as many think. Columbus has a very central and robust market that often seems to get overlooked. It has been continually the fastest growing city in the country since 1950 population wise (UWM.edu). In fact, the only decade it wasnt the fastest growing was 1960-1970 when it was second to only Indy. It still continues to grow at an almost alarming rate and its mostly sprawl which indicates a higher expendable income. (NBA wants that income)

NBA could work here. You could potentially have Columbus, Dayton, Cincy to attract support.

Im not fan of Coleman (or his drunkard wife) but part of his job as mayor is to generate interest in the city to continue its growth and prosperity. If getting an NBA team here, then so be it.

Worth The Wait

I'd be stunned if the Blazers left Portland.

However, there are several fairly credible sources down here in OKC that seem to think the Sonics coming to Oklahoma is basically a done deal. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

So we should assume that an NBA team might have as much success as the Jackets have? Because there most certainly *is* a market for the NHL in Columbus.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

we cant even get people to get interested in our Buckeye basketball team. Where the demand for bad basketball?

Please David Stern, avoid the embarrassment of moving a team here.
    Witty signature.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    NBA could work here. You could potentially have Columbus, Dayton, Cincy to attract support.
    The Blue Jackets barely register on the radar in Cincinnati and Dayton.

I have no reason to suspect that an NBA franchise would be viewed any differently by the denizens of the State of Ohio.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    we cant even get people to get interested in our Buckeye basketball team. Where the demand for bad basketball?
    For the 31st straight season, Big Ten men's basketball has led the nation in attendance in 2006-07, according to numbers released by the NCAA.

Ohio State led the Big Ten contingent, ranking sixth nationally with an average of 17,530 fans per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Blue Jackets barely register on the radar in Cincinnati and Dayton.
    Kind of like the Cavs anywhere outside of northeast Ohio.

Turn Off Ads?