Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thursday 7/9/09 minor league updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Thursday 7/9/09 minor league updates

Billings lost and game 2 of Carolina's double header was postponed. Good night on the farm though I would say.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    What's a guy gotta do to get a promotion around here?

LUVSBASEBALL, maybe you or Todd Frazier can answer this??
    Mmmmmmmmm???? I wish i knew. and i would make him do it.....lol I guess AAA is going to have to move some players and MAYBE They'll get a shot.
    Keeping my fingers crossed......
    "Life is like a baseballgame. When you think a fastball is coming, you gotta be ready to hit the Change UP"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Like how slowly they moved with Jay Bruce? With Johnny Cueto?

Please.

Allow him a year of domination much like he did in 2005. In '07, Wood struggled in A+, then played well there in 2008 to earn his promotion to AA. There, he struggled to the tune of a 7.09 era in 17 starts.
    I notice you didn't toss Joey Votto in there, why not? I'll tell you why not he was forced to kick the door down, I'd toss Hanigan in there, Heisey, Frazier etc.

BTW I have no problem with how Wood has been handled thus far but when he spends part of this year and all of next year in AAA (even if he pitches great) when guys getting drafted this season will beat him to the bigs and handle themselves just fine is ridiculous. Go look around the minors, not too many teams handle prospects as slowly as the Reds do. Perhaps that is beneficial for our team as alot of those guys have been pretty much ready when called on but could they have helped sooner, in some cases I believe so.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Votto played one full season at AAA. That's it. 136 games. In 2008, he played in 150+ games for the Reds.

And, yeah, I want all prospects to absolutely kick the door down for promotion to any other league. You saw what overaggressive promotion did for Homer Bailey, right? I think M2 said that prospects need to learn how to dominate a league, get that taste of I'm-better-than-you before going on to the next one. Let Wood dominate the league. Let Frazier dominate the league. They can be called up from AA just as easily as they can from AAA.

Votto played one full season at AAA. That's it. 136 games. In 2008, he played in 150+ games for the Reds.

And, yeah, I want all prospects to absolutely kick the door down for promotion to any other league. You saw what overaggressive promotion did for Homer Bailey, right? I think M2 said that prospects need to learn how to dominate a league, get that taste of I'm-better-than-you before going on to the next one. Let Wood dominate the league. Let Frazier dominate the league. They can be called up from AA just as easily as they can from AAA.
    My point is no matter how long Votto stayed at AAA he was ready for the show long before he got there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

And I disagree. Bruce was rushed. Votto wasn't. Give me wasn't every time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would certainly argue that Travis Wood has certainly dominated AA for the last 2+ months. And even before that for the month and a half he wasn't 'dominating' he had an ERA under 1.50 in AA.

As for Bruce being rushed, I will disagree because the things he needed to learn simply couldn't be learned at the level he was at.

And I disagree. Bruce was rushed. Votto wasn't. Give me wasn't every time.
    Bruce was slightly rushed sure, but he is one of only a few that has been. But as Doug alluded to he wasn't likely to learn a whole lot more in the minors. 98% of them are not only not rushed but forced to prove (beyond the shadow of a doubt) they are completely ready, silly really.

--Woody Hayes

Can Wood be brought up just as easily from AA as AAA? It does him little good to move up to Louisville and it does Cincinnati a lot of good to keep him in AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Bruce was slightly rushed sure, but he is one of only a few that has been. But as Doug alluded to he wasn't likely to learn a whole lot more in the minors. 98% of them are not only not rushed but forced to prove (beyond the shadow of a doubt) they are completely ready, silly really.
    Like who?

Neither Dickerson nor Hanigan did much as prospects before 2008, so you really can't use them as proof. EdE came up at 22. Hamilton and Cueto started out of AA. I guess you could argue the AAA relievers of Roenicke, Fisher, and Herrera, but really, you're only talking about a handful of games at most.

I honestly can't think of anyone that's been left in the minors to rot rather than come to Cincinnati.

When it comes to prospects, I think it's best to go the better-safe-than-sorry route. I've heard of plenty of players being rushed to the big leagues and then never recovering, but how many players have ruined careers because they spent too much time in the minor leagues?

Turn Off Ads?