Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forecasted Minor League Free Agents

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Forecasted Minor League Free Agents

Just guessing based on the rosters at this moment. The official list will be out shortly. I could have missed someone or put someone on here that shouldn't be here.

AAA: LHS "Crafty" Tom Cochran, RHR Jerry Gil, RHP Brandon Hynick, RHS Chad Reineke, LHP Clayton Tanner, LHR Travis Webb, C Corky Miller, C James Skelton, INF Jose Castro, 1B-3B Mike Costanzo, 1B-OF Danny Dorn, OF Quintin Berry, OF David Cook, OF Denis Phipps, UT Mike Griffin.

If RHS Daryl Thompson, RHR Jordan Smith, INF Chris Valaika, or INF Kris Negron are removed from the 40-man, they're basically in the same bucket.

AA: RHS James Avery, RHR Tim Gustafson, LHR Tim Hamulack, RHS Matt Klinker, RHS Justin Lehr, RHP Kyle McCulloch, RHR Chris Mobley, RHS Josh Ravin, 1B-3B Eric Campbell

High-A: RHR Tyree Hayes, DH Jorge Jimenez

There's more of these guys this year than we've had in the past. Part of that is the Reds' talent bubble in the high minors running out of time, and part of it is the gaggle of mercs the organization brought in when it looked like Carolina was trying to set a record for worst winning percentage in April and May.

Who do you re-sign, and why? The Reds brought Phipps back a couple of times when he hadn't gone on a giant multi-month tear, so it seems obvious they do it here. I also like Webb; he has control issues but was extremely hard to hit after moving to the bullpen. Tanner had been exclusively a starter in the Giants system; perhaps he's worth a shot as a situational lefty? Berry could be the prototypical fifth outfielder; he draws far more walks than most players of his type.

Those are the main ones for me. Remember that when you bring back a guy, he's taking a spot that could go to a prospect- so be judicious. And a lot of times guys want a fresh start somewhere else- this could be especially important for a guy like Phipps- he faces a crowded depth chart and wasn't called up in September despite batting .380 at Louisville.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 09-16-2011 at 03:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Forecasted Minor League Free Agents

Hynick, Webb, Dorn, Klinker, McCulloch and Ravin are not free agents.

I would also add Jose Gualdon and Ruben Medina.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I would also add Jose Gualdon and Ruben Medina.
    I'd put Phipps on the 40-man for at least one year. I count at least seven or eight names I'd remove for younger guys and I think there could be at least two or three deal where the Reds send two or three for one.

I was thinking Eric Campbell was a MiL FA also. If he is, I'd like to see them bring him back. If he isn't, good.

Got Campbell above. Gualdron has only been here five years. Medina I missed- looks like he's got six.

Pretty much all the must adds are already on the 40 man. Some guys are coming off (Hernandez, Cordero, Willis, Renteria) others are iffy (Negron, Thompson, Valaika, Smith) so I'd add the younger ones who may be eligible for rule 5 or free agency. My adds would be Phipps, Webb, Tanner, Campbell and Rojas if necessary. I'd try to bring Berry back on a minor league deal. Otherwise, I'd leave room for yoinger guys to move up and not clog the rosters with vets (maybe a pitcher or two or some fallen one time hot prospect similar to the moves for Hermida and Willis). I'd bring back Corky on a minor league deal. The Reds still have several catchers to mentor (Grandal, Coddington, Fleury, Barnhardt...).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Got Campbell above. Gualdron has only been here five years. Medina I missed- looks like he's got six.
    Gualdron signed on 2/28/2005. 2011 was his 7th season with the Reds.

Gotcha, was looking at years instead of signing date.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Hynick, Webb, Dorn, Klinker, McCulloch and Ravin are not free agents.
    Klinker I get- but all of the other five are 2006 draftees/signees. Sure seem like six-year free agents to me.

---
    EDIT: Apparently not. Well, I learned something. I was certain the signing year counted as a season played.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 09-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Klinker I get- but all of the other five are 2006 draftees/signees. Sure seem like six-year free agents to me.
    It's if you were drafted/signed in 2005, I.E. Avery, Griffin and Castro. Klinker tole me he has two more years, meaning he won't be a free agent until after 2013.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 09-16-2011 at 08:44 PM.

To qualify as a six-year mlfa, you have to have at least six full years under contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My adds would be Phipps, Webb, Tanner, Campbell and Rojas if necessary.
    Do you mean you'd add them to the 40? Phipps is only guy out of that group I see as possibly being added to the 40.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-17-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Do you mean you'd add them to the 40? Phipps is only guy out of that group I see as possibly being added to the 40.
    If necessary to keep them from becoming free agents. I think the Reds will have plenty of room this year. All the must haves are on the 40 man and a lot of guys will/should come off after the year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm almost certain Webb will be added on. Numerous scouts said they would take him in a heartbeat if available. We will see though, I guess.

Corky Miller is a guy I would re-sign every year until he retires. His value is way beyond what stats reveal. Tom Cochran had a very surprising year in Louisville and should be re-signed. He may be a late bloomer or this year could have been a fluke. Either way I take another look. Same could be said for Reineke, although I think AAA is his ceiling. A solid AAA starter is a good guy to have around though as they are always needed within an organization. Phipps is a guy that I absolutely say that you do not let him get away. Not at this stage of his career. He had a monster season. The guy looks and plays like Alfonso Soriano(circa Rangers and Nationals years) with the plus of being a good outfielder. The other AAA guys mentioned are pretty much AAA fodder and you could take em or leave em based on organizational need. Castro is probably a keeper as a utility guy. Gil pitches good about 50% of his appearances.

Turn Off Ads?