Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: On the declining quality of the ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Before we can discuss the seemingly intrinsic, normative definition of what appropriate ORG behavior is, we must identify the dominating fundamental group that dictates and defines what discourse is appropriate, as well as the repressive state apparatuses in place to correct users who do not consent to their idealogical state apparatuses. Who would like to begin?
    Good lord. Althusser? Really?

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to get too meta here. LOL.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Good lord. Althusser? Really?

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to get too meta here. LOL.
    FWIW, though, sports forums like this are all pretty much about rejoicing in our own subjugation to the capitalist machine anyway.

Carry on.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

Before we can discuss the seemingly intrinsic, normative definition of what appropriate ORG behavior is, we must identify the dominating fundamental group that dictates and defines what discourse is appropriate, as well as the repressive state apparatuses in place to correct users who do not consent to their idealogical state apparatuses. Who would like to begin?
    Oh god, am I back in Rhetorical Theory since 1900 in my senior year of college?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

High five!

I would say, address by either steering the conversation in the direction you want it to go (and if enough people agree with that direction, the ship will turn.)

Or state without malice and personal attack that this ain't how we roll here.

Which, given enough traction, will also steer the ship.

If in doubt, end everyone else's statements with "to me."

To me, it's more a matter of tone than content.

6. Likes:

757690 (05-22-2013),wolfboy (05-22-2013)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I would say, address by either steering the conversation in the direction you want it to go (and if enough people agree with that direction, the ship will turn.)

Or state without malice and personal attack that this ain't how we roll here.

Which, given enough traction, will also steer the ship.

If in doubt, end everyone else's statements with "to me."

To me, it's more a matter of tone than content.
    Very true. The content never changes. Only the form.

Guys, just be thankful that the Reds are winning.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

Captain13 (05-23-2013),RedEye (05-23-2013),REDREAD (06-14-2013),Tommyjohn25 (05-23-2013),wolfboy (05-22-2013)

Ok, I was the poster who basically said the entire Cozart dfa thread was stupid and it made me sorry that the two baseball threads had been merged. I don't think I did it with malice, I have no idea who the person is that started the threat and I don't wish ill will on them.

What I will say is that some of the recent discussion on ORG has made me come to Redszone less often.
    Where we gonna go?

11. Likes:

Hypnotoad (06-02-2013)

Part of the concept of opening the ORG was that "new fresh blood" could create more discussion. Of the those who dissented against the move, one of the reasons, was wading through more low quality threads and posts. Those in favor of opening the ORG, said that the group will self police. Those same voices now call for being tolerant of trolls, and to ignore them mucking up the screen. It is ok to have standards. No one is saying you have to be Bill James to post on the ORG, and light hearted discussion IS welcome. Redszone as a whole has a higher standard than other message boards. This is a collared shirt establishment. No shirt, No Shoes, No Service. However if you post in your underwear most will understand, and condone such activity with a tacit nod of camaraderie.

Reactionary and absurd threads are most definitely not welcome.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

13. Likes:

Captain13 (05-23-2013),CySeymour (05-23-2013),RedEye (05-23-2013),Ron Madden (10-01-2019),TOBTTReds (06-24-2013),Tom Servo (05-23-2013),wolfboy (05-23-2013)

If you really want to address the situation, I think it needs to be discussed with as many specific examples as possible. Quote a post (sans the author's name) and explain why it's not worthy of ORG. Then maybe we can make some progress.

15. Likes:

foxfire123 (05-24-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I'm in the military, could you put that in smaller words...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If you really want to address the situation, I think it needs to be discussed with as many specific examples as possible. Quote a post (sans the author's name) and explain why it's not worthy of ORG. Then maybe we can make some progress.
    I'll play. Here we go:

Should the Reds DFA Zack Cozart?

2013 Season

.206 Avg
    5 HR
    20 RBI
    .233 OBP
    .338 Slugging
    .570 OPS

For a position that's considered a premier slot, these numbers just aren't cutting it.

If anything, he should be an 8th inning defensive replacement like the likes of Juan Castro of old.
    To me, the poster 1) ignores the context of the season, the statistics and the player; then 2) proposes a rash and ill-informed solution (DFA) in his thread title.

ORG posts should have a modicum of reflection behind them. It's not a forum where you just "say anything." At least that's what I thought before the merger.

18. Likes:

Hypnotoad (06-02-2013),TOBTTReds (06-24-2013)

Would Scott Rolen be more productive this year than Todd Frazier?

Frazier has just been atrocious this year. What happened?

For all those people crying for the riddance of Rolen, I'm starting to think that was a bad idea.

At least rolen would've given you gold glove defense, veteran leadership, and would've at least put up a solid slash line (better than frazier at least) in a down year.

Now it looks like Frazier is turning into the dud that he was initially projected to be, and we have no replacement for him..nor Cozart.

LMAO.
    Here's another one. I almost feel like analyzing what's wrong with this is killing my brain cells... but the poster ignores once again the context and the actual evidence on Rolen, as well as making slapdash conclusions about Frazier ("turning into the dud he was initially projected to be") all, once again, without the benefit of evidence to back up his/her claims. I'm not talking statistical evidence, necessarily -- just basic attention to the reality of the situation he's writing about.

20. Likes:

TOBTTReds (06-24-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

To me Vottomatics antics in today's game thread was embarrassing.

22. Likes:

edabbs44 (05-26-2013),Fil3232 (05-27-2013),jojo (05-26-2013),Joseph (05-26-2013),Ron Madden (10-01-2019),texasdave (05-27-2013),TOBTTReds (06-24-2013),Tom Servo (05-26-2013),westofyou (05-26-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Ok, I was the poster who basically said the entire Cozart dfa thread was stupid and it made me sorry that the two baseball threads had been merged. I don't think I did it with malice, I have no idea who the person is that started the threat and I don't wish ill will on them.

What I will say is that some of the recent discussion on ORG has made me come to Redszone less often.
    I'm having this problem too. I used to love coming here to see what everyone was talking about each day and while I still come here semi regularly, I don't find myself even wanting to participate in too many threads anymore because everyone seems to be arguing, snarking at each other, way off topic from the original discussion, or somehow the main topic of the thread became that annoying team in Missouri. Wading through everything just doesn't keep my interest and it really bums me out.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

24. Likes:

Hypnotoad (06-02-2013),redsfanmia (05-29-2013),Ron Madden (10-01-2019),texasdave (05-27-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-03-2013)

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and without getting into specifics, we've taken some measures that we hope will alleviate some of the problems. When you encounter a post, or series or posts, that violates site rules, I ask that you (anonymously) report the post(s) instead of responding in a manner that is not conducive to civil discussion.

26. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?